The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i never said he was the best of all time, im kust saying if he played in the 80's he would probably score just as much as these two. you also have to factor in his linemates for his shortcomings. both gretzky and lemeuix had stacked teams when they were dominating offensively 

Compare how players dominate over their peers in different eras (It isn't close)

It is like taking and runner, swimmer golfer tennis player, man does excel

The greats from every era, push present and future athletes to excel

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Look at the plugs Lemieux turned into all-stars by the time he was McDiver's age.  Mario had to do it all by himself until Jagr was drafted and was still dominant.

I think it's a lost cause Heffy, hot air in the wind.

You're absolutely right, but nothing you or I or anyone else will say will stop those who are entrenched in their positions from seeing it.

There is absolutely no logical argument that puts McDavid ahead of Lemieux much less The Great One. Who has that name for a reason. Aside from "top speed". I'd say McDavid has them both licked there, but I'd put Rico Fata ahead of McDavid on that one so... its a wash. Probably the only time Rico Fata's name has been mentioned in the last 20 years.

People point and say "ohh, 80s" or "ohh 90s" - every other player in the league during that time, played in the same league. If it was so "like that", why are no others at their heights?

Then the inevitable "but buts" that follow.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I know there is a lot of negativity on here right now but I didn't think we played that bad. Mcdavid just had himself a game! If we caught a few breaks we would of been tied 4-4 after the second. I knew this was one of those games when they scored with 0.8 seconds left. 

Im usually supportive of Jake but today... I honestly thought he didn't even want to play! It's too bad really! 

The oilers should be worried tho! They are a 2 player team. Yes they have 2 support players in Yamamoto and RNH but outside of that they are extremely poor. It was clear that Mcdavid was upset with his last outing and he went out to prove a point. 

Lets move on to the next one. Jake better wake up and bounce next game! 

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

He was injured last year lol. Even though Drai put up the most points, even Oilers fans wouldn't dare say he was the best player on the team. 

He singlehandedly wins them games on a consistent basis. No other player has required as little help on his line as McDavid in the history of the game. He is so good that they literally keep Draisaitl off his line purposefully because he can carry his own line. They put him with third line players and he still puts up a ppg. 

Still not on the level of 66 or 99.  I think there are times he has tunnel vision and makes horrible turnovers.  A player that’s the greatest of all time wouldn’t have failed against a lower ranked Blackhawks team.  

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Goals, assists, or points?  You pick one and tell us which one McDavid was best at last year.  We'll wait here...

im sorry did gretzky finish first every year what happened when coffey was traded away? all of a sudden lemiuex gets coffey and gretzky isn't so dominant anymore, it's almost like having 4 hall of famers on your team might help stack your point total.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

im sorry did gretzky finish first every year what happened when coffey was traded away? all of a sudden lemiuex gets coffey and gretzky isn't so dominant anymore, it's almost like having 4 hall of famers on your team might help stack your point total.

So what you're saying is, Paul Coffey is better than McDavid?

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Still not on the level of 66 or 99.  I think there are times he has tunnel vision and makes horrible turnovers.  A player that’s the greatest of all time wouldn’t have failed against a lower ranked Blackhawks team.  

it's a team game. gretzky didn't win many cups without the stacked oilers

3 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Lol, are you serious? Did you even realize Gretzky won art Ross trophies with the LA Kings??

Between 1980 and 1994 he won 10 (TEN) Art Ross trophies!

Edited by HKSR

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

Lol... so why did the kings make it to the finals within a short time of getting Gretzky. Maybe coz he made all those players even better? Remember how he made Chris Kontos look like an all star one year? Yeah ... 

Would those hall of fame players reached those levels without Gretzky. Probably not.  

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Lol... so why did the kings make it to the finals within a short time of getting Gretzky. Maybe coz he made all those players even better? Remember how he made Chris Kontos look like an all star one year? Yeah ... 

Would those hall of fame players reached those levels without Gretzky. Probably not.  

im not arguing gretzky is an all time great, im just saying connor would do just as good if you put him on those teams

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, sure... Wow look at that stacked roster when Lemieux scored 199pts in under 80 games...

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000501989.html

But did he win the cup that year?!?!?! (obvious sarcasm) 

Nobody is debating that he could carry a team. We are just saying it's silly that these players are willing their teams to cup victories with nobody around them. 

Just now, luckylager said:

You just defeated your own argument with your argument.

It's a team game, nobody wins a cup on their own. 

no, i won. because if connor had the chance to have hedman pasternak and draitsaital plus a few other upgrades they would win cups too