The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Edmonton was dominated in their first home game of the season in a building where they had to watch the Canucks play more than a month after they were pushed out of it last summer.    If the Oilers had not come out like their very lives depended on that game it would have been shocking.   Canucks looked like a team that was happy with the split and the last 30 minutes of the game were willing to move forward and get on with South Alberta.     

18 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Are we merging gdt and pgt in one thread this year? 

I preferred it being separated because I don't normally go to GDT during the game and sometimes go to pgt the next day but now I have to sift through everything to find the point where the game ends and the pgt talk starts. 

@-Vintage Canuck- has already taken care of that problem! Check out the top of the page and there is a link there to where the PGT started. 

7 hours ago, khay said:

Or, McDavid is just otherworldly. It's tough to beat the Oilers when McDavid does what he did tonight.

Tryamkin is not going to have better lateral mobility than Edler. Tryamkin will punish people more often though and yes, we need more of that in the playoffs.

Or...Edler, whom many here on CDC revere as the one of the top D men in the league... got duped. lol

Edler was playing the name McDavid. He got scared and back pedaled way to fast and too soon. he gave McDavid to much room to make those moves on him.

• Wat 1

I think with these mini series against division teams this year, it will really have that up and down roller coaster feel to it like the playoffs. Because no team wants to start the year in a hole let alone in a shortened 56 game schedule. So hard to win a game when Connor turns it on like that. Power play needs work and we would’ve been close had we potted a few. Awe well onto Calgary and the adventures of Marky out of the net coming up!

17 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Or...Edler, whom many here on CDC revere as the one of the top D men in the league... got duped. lol

Edler was playing the name McDavid. He got scared and back pedaled way to fast and too soon. he gave McDavid to much room to make those moves on him.

Or it could be that McDavid is actually that good and fast that defenders need to back up or they would get turnstiled and  caught flat footed. 

Any less of a gap there and I would say there's a pretty high probability that McDavid could have taken Edler through an outside rush and cut in as well. Sometimes you are met with a dominant player who is just flat out better than you. No insult to Edler there. McDavid is arguably the best player in the world right now. 

I think the unfortunate part was that Edler missed the puck with the sweep of his stick by about half a foot which would have knocked the puck off McDavid's stick. 

11 hours ago, Darth Canuck said:

Much like Bo got into St Louis heads in the playoffs, McMuffin got into our heads tonight. When he started whizzing around, systems broke down, assignments got lost, and frustration started. In the past, we used team speed, discipline, and effort to contain him, and tonight, we took our foot off the gas, and let him dictate.

I refuse to pin this on Jake, or Demko. Several players were a step behind, sloppy passes, not urgent, etc... I do think the team was felling pretty good about last night, and tonight’s effort showed it. 

The good thing about a game like this happening this early in the season is there’s time to analyze, learn, adapt, and be ready for the next game.

I did like the fight in Petey, Brock, and Hughes, they never gave up. And Hughes with a bloody bottom lip....

Go Canucks!!

Thank You Darth very good post. Can't believe some on here are pinning this on Jake when he only played 10 minutes in this game and was basically taken off the top line after the first period. Not saying he played great but the TEAM did not play very good. Demko was just "Ok", Petey is not himself, Edler was beat a couple of times, Bo let McDavid walk around him after a faceoff for a goal, Hogs had a brain fart for a goal and got a "pat on the head" for it. 

The PP has NOT scored a goal in 2 games and was 0/5 last night. Every other player on the team was put on the top line and none of them could fare any better then Jake could so is he the problem for their woes so far? Green should have tried these in practice because we all know that he likes to line juggle when things aren't going right. But no, lets do it during a game instead?

As usual, Jake has the shortest leash on the team and it showed last night. He was able to play a total of 4 periods before he was the "scapegoat" and made to warm the bench. The last I seen, before he was benched , that he was one of the few who could actually get a shot on net on the PP. I guess that's worse then the rookie coughing up the puck for a goal because he didn't get a "pat on the head" , he was benched instead. 

Jake is not the regular top line winger, he is FILLING IN!!!! Folks. 

This is a team sport and this was a team loss. Plain and simple.

13 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Thank You Darth very good post. Can't believe some on here are pinning this on Jake when he only played 10 minutes in this game and was basically taken off the top line after the first period. Not saying he played great but the TEAM did not play very good. Demko was just "Ok", Petey is not himself, Edler was beat a couple of times, Bo let McDavid walk around him after a faceoff for a goal, Hogs had a brain fart for a goal and got a "pat on the head" for it. 

The PP has NOT scored a goal in 2 games and was 0/5 last night. Every other player on the team was put on the top line and none of them could fare any better then Jake could so is he the problem for their woes so far? Green should have tried these in practice because we all know that he likes to line juggle when things aren't going right. But no, lets do it during a game instead?

As usual, Jake has the shortest leash on the team and it showed last night. He was able to play a total of 4 periods before he was the "scapegoat" and made to warm the bench. The last I seen, before he was benched , that he was one of the few who could actually get a shot on net on the PP. I guess that's worse then the rookie coughing up the puck for a goal because he didn't get a "pat on the head" , he was benched instead. 

Jake is not the regular top line winger, he is FILLING IN!!!! Folks. 

This is a team sport and this was a team loss. Plain and simple.

#worstcrewever He does not have the Hockey IQ or work ethic to be even given the opportunity to play on the top line. You can clearly see he’s fallen out of favour with his coaches and teammates. I’m calling a Roslovic swap in the next couple weeks and hopefully playing in WPG will wake him up.

This is how I felt after watching parts of the first 2 games into the season...

Virtanen is still just meh.... showing a few good plays but just can't get to the next level of dominance as a power forward

Sutter is MEH..... just a 4th line guy who might chip in a few goals in the season... nothing spectacular... basically just a better skater than Eriksson

Hoglander definitely got promise!! just needs time... he shows a lot of confidence out there!! we'll have to accept his rookie mistakes like the one where he failed to clear the puck out of his own zone resulting in an Oilers' goal last night

Juolevi - steady D-man but looked very nervous at times in the offensive zone.... he needs to just take a slapshot given space & time!! but a very good skater for his size!

Pearson - pleasant surprise!! He looks faster than I thought... shows a lot of hustle and drive!! love this guy! the only downside is, he tends to shoot a lot from tight angle hoping for rebounds... he should just let Hog and Bo do the shooting?

Schmidt - we've been missing another puck carrier like him for so long.. and man can he really shoot the puck!

Holtby - a nice veteran goalie to help out Demko.. he looked good in the first game and I'm confident he's gonna have a bounce back year!

TSN was reporting JB is looking in the market for a top 6 winger... but where does he find the cap space?? Hoglander will do just fine.... and Virtanen and Gaudette gotta step up!!!

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

#worstcrewever He does not have the Hockey IQ or work ethic to be even given the opportunity to play on the top line. You can clearly see he’s fallen out of favour with his coaches and teammates. I’m calling a Roslovic swap in the next couple weeks and hopefully playing in WPG will wake him up.

I doubt Jake would even get a second round pick in return. Would need to add to get Roslovic me thinks. 

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

TSN was reporting JB is looking in the market for a top 6 winger... but where does he find the cap space?? Hoglander will do just fine.... and Virtanen and Gaudette gotta step up!!!

This gets reported every year. I expect gauds will start getting better now that he’s on a proper diet and I’m sure we’ll see JV breakout for a couple games and then not again. Miller will be back in a few. Nothing to worry about imo

• Thanks 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

This gets reported every year. I expect gauds will start getting better now that he’s on a proper diet and I’m sure we’ll see JV breakout for a couple games and then not again. Miller will be back in a few. Nothing to worry about imo

Ya I'm not too worried this early into the season... I expect them to be even better than last season... Gaudette and Virtanen got the potential to be in top 6... they just gotta do a lil more.... can't wait to see Rathbone too!

• Like 1