The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

I do wonder how many points will separate teams 1-6 in this division. You can make an argument for each team winning the division, and playing the same team right after another, no one is going to want to get swept. 

Injuries, Covid, and coaching IMO are the biggest factors, can you push your team to sweep a series, or make sure you don't get swept. 

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I do wonder how many points will separate teams 1-6 in this division. You can make an argument for each team winning the division, and playing the same team right after another, no one is going to want to get swept. 

Injuries, Covid, and coaching IMO are the biggest factors, can you push your team to sweep a series, or make sure you don't get swept. 

I wonder how they decide the play off positioning if all the teams end up at .500 hockey.

I think all the teams will have trouble winning 2 games in row, and every game a "4" point game. 

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wonder how they decide the play off positioning if all the teams end up at .500 hockey.

I think all the teams will have trouble winning 2 games in row, and every game a "4" point game. 

They would never do it but that’s why I thought this would be a good season for the 3 point for a regulation win format 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

13 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Just wait we’ll beat Calgary and be the best thing since sliced bread again 

:lol: So true, I wonder if some on here realize that sometimes in sports you win some and you lose some. The patience on here is so predictable and its literally "Tank", trade everyone one game and then we are "Winning the Cup" the next game.

The impatience is rubbing off on the coach as well, 4 periods in to the season and he is throwing everybody's name in the bag and see's what his lines are going to be next. 

Patience People!

• Upvote 2

I've never played hockey but watched it since the early 60's. But I have coached basketball for over 20 years. When we came up with a dominating player on the other team (like McDavid), we used to go into a "box and one" zone defence. Here one player would shadow the dominating player one-on-one, while the other four players ran a zone defence in the shape of a box. Hockey teams play a zone defence on the power play, would this work in hockey??

53 minutes ago, gurn said:

NHL.com falling down on the job?   Looking for 2020/21 stats and all I find is last years?

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/stats

Not sure what the deal is with them not transferring onto the Canucks NHL page.. but here you go in case you still need them: http://www.nhl.com/stats/

Tabs on the top let you click skater and you can filter just by team too 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Not sure what the deal is with them not transferring onto the Canucks NHL page.. but here you go in case you still need them: http://www.nhl.com/stats/

Tabs on the top let you click skater and you can filter just by team too 

Thank you.

For me it seems that NHL related I.T. depts are having a rough go to start this year.

Did all these organizations lay off the people that knew what they were doing?.

The List so far:

Game audio not synched yesterday

Huge amount of 504 errors on this site

NHL site having difficulty updating stats.

Probably should have known better than read the PGT lol.

Absurd levels of obsession with Jake Jake Jake...

Virtanen

50% ozone starts (3/3)

50% corsi (12/12)

2 hits, +1 (the only other plus player was Beagle).

As if Virtanen was the reason the team lost. 

Complain that he's not a 1LW all you want, but Virtanen had very little to do with the loss.

The team did not produce on the powerplay, period - EP rung a post, team in general didn't finish - Edmonton did.  Period.  (Didn't Virtanen ring a post in game 1?  Funny how small the margin between goat and goat is). 

None of the top 6 were particularly good last night - Horvat and Pearson included.

The team also doesn't have the one guy that was key to our team shutting that team's top2 down = Tanev. 

I was ok with not re-signing Markstrom, ok with not re-signing Toffoli - but think the team should have prioritized bringing Tanev back (no hindsighting here, that was my position at the time.).  It might have resulted in slightly higher asset cost to make room for Schmidt, but the extra 3 millionish to sign Tanev imo would have been worth the loss of a Roussel (Benn, pick your cap alternative casualties - those would have been mine).   Anyhow - there's not much point second guessing that - Tanev chose to go to Calgary - his right - so we move on (but sure miss the guy, particularly in games like last night, where the opposition has one or two key players but otherwise are the lesser team - Tanev was pivotal).

Hamonic has parachuted in and has understandably looked rusty and a step behind (and will never have Tanev's mobility).  But in fairness to him - when you watch the goals they gave up, you'll see a number of players with situational sub par efforts - so there's no point singling out any one player in particular. 

If anything, the game otherwise (finishing aside) resembled the first.

Game one - Canucks 53 shot attempts, Edmonton 38.

Last night

Canucks 84

Edmonton 66

56% team corsi 

With players like EP, Boeser, Hughes et al that can simply produce/finish- you typically win those games.

Team defense as a whole (with the exception of the 4th line) needed to be better (and therefore the difference between giving up 38 shot attempts in the season opener and 66 last night - but again, finishing on a few more of the Canuck's 84 shot attempts is the other way of making that difference).

For those that like to use Beagle as their whipping boy...

14.3% ozone starts

60% corsi (15 shot attempts for, 10 against

Had a great night again imo - (and that line looked quite good with Virtanen on it, actually).

Anyhow - the team is capable of producing in lots of ways - they just did not finish.  Nothing particularly alarming in the second of an opening nights back to back.

Next.

EP MIller Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Virtanen Sutter Leivo

Motte Beagle MacEwen

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Myers.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I agree with John Garrett when he points out that it's quite difficult to pick a favorite in the North - a real toss up that might come down to health and depth...

While Ottawa may lag behind a bit - they've got some serious young talent - adding Stutzle to Chabot types should be fun to watch.

And they are going to be a nasty piece of work to play against - they lost Borowiecki, but brought in Gudbranson, Haley, Watson, Coburn, Paquette...I am really going to enjoy those battle of Ontario tilts.:ph34r:

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen

50% ozone starts (3/3)

50% corsi (12/12)

Complain that he's not a 1LW all you want, but Virtanen had very little to do with the loss.

I'll one up that...currently he is not a 2LW either

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Or...Edler, whom many here on CDC revere as the one of the top D men in the league... got duped. lol

Edler was playing the name McDavid. He got scared and back pedaled way to fast and too soon. he gave McDavid to much room to make those moves on him.

No one thinks Edler is one of the to D in the league but he is still a solid top3, top 4 defenceman.

McDavid is a top F in the league though. He does special stuff to a lot of people night in and night out.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree with John Garrett when he points out that it's quite difficult to pick a favorite in the North - a real toss up that might come down to health and depth...

While Ottawa may lag behind a bit - they've got some serious young talent - adding Stutzle to Chabot types should be fun to watch.

And they are going to be a nasty piece of work to play against - they lost Borowiecki, but brought in Gudbranson, Haley, Watson, Coburn, Paquette...I am really going to enjoy those battle of Ontario tilts.:ph34r:

It’s anyone’s game imo. Losing to Ottawa won’t be the same effect as last year. They are actually going to be competitive. And I can tell everyone on this board right now that they will take a couple points from us. If you’re expecting us to sweep the season series they are out to lunch.

Each team has gotta be played like a series. Gotta try and win 2 out of 3 if it’s a three game stint vs the same team. If it’s a 2 game stint then 1-1 isn’t bad but 0-2 will hurt really bad 

Edited by Devron44

48 minutes ago, gurn said:

Thank you.

For me it seems that NHL related I.T. depts are having a rough go to start this year.

Did all these organizations lay off the people that knew what they were doing?.

The List so far:

Game audio not synched yesterday

Huge amount of 504 errors on this site

NHL site having difficulty updating stats.

sites like hockey-reference have the standings in the old division forms.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm excited to see Stutzle play.

One of the upsides of the division this year is added focus on the other teams, since they are our only opponents.

No one would be watching every Pacific Division team regularly in a normal season, but this year I'm interested to see every game.

Came home late last night excited to watch some hockey. But we got last year's coaching structure instead of game one and it got exposed yet again. I am starting the think the defense in game one was an anomaly and not the expected norm. I am hoping I am wrong. I want to believe our defensive structure isn't gonna be "give up 30 shots in the first half of the game." It's what it was last year but we don't have Markstrom to bail us out this year.

Having Petey and Boeser on their strong side on the PP is also very suspect. Boeser has an elite shot. Let him tee off on some one timers on his off wing. Right now the only one timer threat is Hughes. Because Petey and Boeser are on their strong side instead of their off wing. Not that it really matters for Petey, he's gripping his stick too tightly or something. He is always breaking sticks. It got so bad after he broke his stick he stopped taking one timers all together. Greener I can live with, albeit not a fan of his work with Jake. Baumer and Newell Brown have got to go.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

if you look at the outcomes overall of those two games....

the only real 'concerns' are the top line.

EP and Boeser with 87.5% ozone starts and 42.6% and 47.5% corsi.

We don't really expect them to 'win' the 'possession' game at this point, particularly in the absence of Miller.

35.7% faceoffs for EP doesn't help.

But interestngly, those two (and Virtanen) were not on the ice for a 5on5 goal against in either of the first two games.

The top line aside, the next closest concern would be the Hughes Hamonic pairing.

Gaudette and Juolevi small samples are promising.

Bottom line - the 'foundation' remains critically important to this young group.

Beagle with a 67.5% corsi vs Deadmonton (27 shot attempts for, 13 against = 3rd best on the team)...not bad for a guy that always handles the highest dzone starts on the team.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen

50% ozone starts (3/3)

50% corsi (12/12)

The team did not produce on the powerplay, period - EP rung a post, team in general didn't finish - Edmonton did.  Period.  (Didn't Virtanen ring a post in game 1?  Funny how small the margin between goat and goat is). 

None of the top 6 were particularly good last night - Horvat and Pearson included.

The team also doesn't have the one guy that was key to our team shutting that team's top2 down = Tanev. 

I was ok with not re-signing Markstrom, ok with not re-signing Toffoli - but think the team should have prioritized bringing Tanev back (no hindsighting here, that was my position at the time.).  It might have resulted in slightly higher asset cost to make room for Schmidt, but the extra 3 millionish to sign Tanev imo would have been worth the loss of a Roussel (Benn, pick your cap alternative casualties - those would have been mine).   Anyhow - there's not much point second guessing that - Tanev chose to go to Calgary - his right - so we move on (but sure miss the guy, particularly in games like last night, where the opposition has one or two key players but otherwise are the lesser team - Tanev was pivotal).

Hamonic has parachuted in and has understandably looked rusty and a step behind (and will never have Tanev's mobility).  But in fairness to him - when you watch the goals they gave up, you'll see a number of players with situational sub par efforts - so there's no point singling out any one player in particular. 

If anything, the game otherwise (finishing aside) resembled the first.

Game one - Canucks 53 shot attempts, Edmonton 38.

Last night

Canucks 84

Edmonton 66

56% team corsi 

With players like EP, Boeser, Hughes et al that can simply produce/finish- you typically win those games.

Team defense as a whole (with the exception of the 4th line) needed to be better (and therefore the difference between giving up 38 shot attempts in the season opener and 66 last night - but again, finishing on a few more of the Canuck's 84 shot attempts is the other way of making that difference).

For those that like to use Beagle as their whipping boy...

14.3% ozone starts

60% corsi (15 shot attempts for, 10 against

Had a great night again imo - (and that line looked quite good with Virtanen on it, actually).

Anyhow - the team is capable of producing in lots of ways - they just did not finish.  Nothing particularly alarming in the second of an opening nights back to back.

Next.

EP MIller Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Virtanen Sutter Leivo

Motte Beagle MacEwen

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Myers.

I completely agree with your entire post and especially with the bolded section.

Beagle has been very under appreciated for what he brings to this team.

That line stood out to me last night, they played well.

As for the Virtanen hate, it is blind. Game one Virtanen had a very nice defensive play in the crease where he took a goal away and last night he had several night defensive plays/coverage and he had a couple nice backchecks last night where he caught up and took away the oddman advantage. He’s playing 200ft hockey; the goals will come.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1