The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, khay said:

I kind of like this format of visiting a team and playing 2, 3 games against them like MLB.

Each game is more intense. Although we lost, it was an interesting game to watch.

I wonder if they'll retain the format in the future.  It might be a bit harder to do when a team's stadium is again used for other events, but perhaps the travel burden might be lessened?

The Canucks looked more flat and disorganized last night but yes, McDavid dominated as he is wont to do.  I personally don't find that McDavid uses his linemates well but he generates so much on his own that it doesn't really matter.  His acceleration, speed and ability to do everything at top speed is amazing to see, even if it's terribly frustrating when he lights up your team.

As much as Oiler's fans might be encouraged by last night's win, it just seems to be another example of how the team only goes as McDavid (and Draisaitl) go.  He is of course pivotal to their success, but when they are shutdown, there's very little push from the balance of the team.

We're just 2 games into the season so I think it's hard to draw too much from these two games.  There's lots to be encouraged about and still many question marks.  It will be good to have Miller back and I'm hoping the team can stay healthy so we see the best possible line-up throughout the season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Thank you.

For me it seems that NHL related I.T. depts are having a rough go to start this year.

Did all these organizations lay off the people that knew what they were doing?.

The List so far:

Game audio not synched yesterday

Huge amount of 504 errors on this site

NHL site having difficulty updating stats.

Is it possible because they are linking the audio feed from Vancouver to the other arena? Other teams seem not to have this issue. 

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Came home late last night excited to watch some hockey. But we got last year's coaching structure instead of game one and it got exposed yet again. I am starting the think the defense in game one was an anomaly and not the expected norm. I am hoping I am wrong. I want to believe our defensive structure isn't gonna be "give up 30 shots in the first half of the game." It's what it was last year but we don't have Markstrom to bail us out this year.

Having Petey and Boeser on their strong side on the PP is also very suspect. Boeser has an elite shot. Let him tee off on some one timers on his off wing. Right now the only one timer threat is Hughes. Because Petey and Boeser are on their strong side instead of their off wing. Not that it really matters for Petey, he's gripping his stick too tightly or something. He is always breaking sticks. It got so bad after he broke his stick he stopped taking one timers all together. Greener I can live with, albeit not a fan of his work with Jake. Baumer and Newell Brown have got to go.

I agree with this, but in fairness, they aren't simply setting up on their strong side - they are mixing it up/alternating.

The powerplay moved the puck exceptionally well in spite of all the angst in these threads - they simply weren't getting very good shots off in general (EP's sticks snapping repeatedly also did not help).  Some nights you're simply snake-bitten.

-Special teams cost us.  You can't go 0-5 on the PP and 2-4 on the Pk and hope to win.  

-Schmidt is the real deal, really like his game.  

-Joulevi is going to be good, I expect he will just keep improving.  Calm, smart D.

-Demko was shaky.  No matter what, you can't give up 5 goals and expect to win.

-I really like our 4th line of Beagle/Motte/Sutter.

-EP needs to shoot more.

Meh, 1-1 in our first two.  I figure if we split with Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto and win our season series with the Jets/Sens/Habs we will be fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I completely agree with your entire post and especially with the bolded section.

Beagle has been very under appreciated for what he brings to this team.

That line stood out to me last night, they played well.

As for the Virtanen hate, it is blind. Game one Virtanen had a very nice defensive play in the crease where he took a goal away and last night he had several night defensive plays/coverage and he had a couple nice backchecks last night where he caught up and took away the oddman advantage. He’s playing 200ft hockey; the goals will come.

yeah - Virtanen has yet to be on the ice for a goal against - he's +2 in two games, he's moving up and down the lineup (played on 3 lines already)...

but he's the reason the team lost last night lol. 

Bottom line - EP and Boeser need Miller - need a developed NHL center (that can win some faceoffs).

But as you point out - Virtanen has been a good defensive complement to those two.

Worth noting that when he was moved off that line, Green moved Motte there.  Anyhow, they're making do - and realistically, they have had two of the league's best centers to deal with in those two games in Edmonton.

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/

if you look at the outcomes overall of those two games....

the only real 'concerns' are the top line.

EP and Boeser with 87.5% ozone starts and 42.6% and 47.5% corsi.

We don't really expect them to 'win' the 'possession' game at this point, particularly in the absence of Miller.

35.7% faceoffs for EP doesn't help.

But interestngly, those two (and Virtanen) were not on the ice for a 5on5 goal against in either of the first two games.

The top line aside, the next closest concern would be the Hughes Hamonic pairing.

Gaudette and Juolevi small samples are promising.

Bottom line - the 'foundation' remains critically important to this young group.

Beagle with a 67.5% corsi vs Deadmonton (27 shot attempts for, 13 against = 3rd best on the team)...not bad for a guy that always handles the highest dzone starts on the team.

Thanks for presenting an argument with actual "facts" Oldnews, nice to see this as opposed to the spew that usually transpires after a loss when the "blame game" runs rampant among other posters. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I wonder if they'll retain the format in the future.  It might be a bit harder to do when a team's stadium is again used for other events, but perhaps the travel burden might be lessened?

The Canucks looked more flat and disorganized last night but yes, McDavid dominated as he is wont to do.  I personally don't find that McDavid uses his linemates well but he generates so much on his own that it doesn't really matter.  His acceleration, speed and ability to do everything at top speed is amazing to see, even if it's terribly frustrating when he lights up your team.

As much as Oiler's fans might be encouraged by last night's win, it just seems to be another example of how the team only goes as McDavid (and Draisaitl) go.  He is of course pivotal to their success, but when they are shutdown, there's very little push from the balance of the team.

We're just 2 games into the season so I think it's hard to draw too much from these two games.  There's lots to be encouraged about and still many question marks.  It will be good to have Miller back and I'm hoping the team can stay healthy so we see the best possible line-up throughout the season.

McDavid also played 26 min last night. In  shorten season with lots of back to backs, I am not sure how sustainable this is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Darius said:

good post!

in my mind the more valid debate is who was better... Mario vs Wayne .  McD isnt in that conversation.

McDavid is an elite player , but honestly I would put him in a tier closer to Pavel Bure than in a tier with 66 and 99.   Not saying that Bure is better, but could you imagine what a 24 year old Bure would do with no two line off side rule, no clutching and grabbing and a guy like H Sedin or EP feeding him sublime bank passes of of the boards.

When I see some of those old clips, how guys like Derian Hatcher would hack, wack and clutch him so much it would look like he is water skiing behind him. Not to mention all the attempted head shots and every goon trying to make a name for himself trying to take a piece of him.  Remember that no name hack Todd Simpson from Calgary basically injuring Bure in the first game of the season one year.  That game was a gong show after that, goons squaring off, all the fights.  The stars have it easier today by comparison IMHO.

McDavid looked great last night,.  But can you imagine what a prime Pavel Bure would do to Alex Edler or a rusty Travis Hamonic if they couldnt obstruct and hold on to him like it was the 90s?

Yep - this exactly.   People forget that fans, media and players alike were complaining about the clutching and grabbing all the way back to 90-91.   It took the league over a decade to resolve this.   Hull, Mario, and Roenick were particularly verbal about this, but they were far from the only ones.   When I read stuff like the league is bigger and stronger now I just shake my head and think you have no idea how it really was. All I can suggest is just go back and looks at some Mario and Lindros highlights.   The league is smaller and faster now.   Those athletes had speed to burn too back then, try making an extra pass with five players blocking up the neutral zone they were allowed to do things that would be egregious and penalties today.   The best way I can describe it is today’s playoff second round rules approximate what it used to be played like.  Minus the enforcer element, the red line (which I love - the new rule) and hitting.   Bure would kill it in today’s game without the type of obstruction he dealt with.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - Virtanen has yet to be on the ice for a goal against - he's +2 in two games, he's moving up and down the lineup (played on 3 lines already)...

but he's the reason the team lost last night lol. 

Bottom line - EP and Boeser need Miller - need a developed NHL center (that can win some faceoffs).

But as you point out - Virtanen has been a good defensive complement to those two.

Worth noting that when he was moved off that line, Green moved Motte there.  Anyhow, they're making do - and realistically, they have had two of the league's best centers to deal with in those two games in Edmonton.

This is so true, I see this as well. Miller is definitely the driver of that line and Petey and Boes are not the same without him. I seen Green throw a number of different players on that line last night with the same result.

31 minutes ago, BCNate said:

-Special teams cost us.  You can't go 0-5 on the PP and 2-4 on the Pk and hope to win.  

-Joulevi is going to be good, I expect he will just keep improving.  Calm, smart D.

-EP needs to shoot more.

Meh, 1-1 in our first two.  I figure if we split with Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto and win our season series with the Jets/Sens/Habs we will be fine.

that is all good. except we need to learn how to win against Winnipeg

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is so true, I see this as well. Miller is definitely the driver of that line and Petey and Boes are not the same without him. I seen Green throw a number of different players on that line last night with the same result.

The big issue is 65% of the time they were starting their shift without the puck.   When the best things you do are with the puck on your stick it’s a recipe for a long night.  Some of that will be remedied by Miller returning and ultimately Petey will need to get above 50% in the dot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Thank you.

For me it seems that NHL related I.T. depts are having a rough go to start this year.

Did all these organizations lay off the people that knew what they were doing?.

The List so far:

Game audio not synched yesterday

Huge amount of 504 errors on this site

NHL site having difficulty updating stats.

Yeah what was the deal with the audio yesterday?? I mean, I get why it is happening, but can't they just delay the video feed by the same amount so they match? 

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

with 8 more games against Edmonton,

Greener and the boys  should teach Virtanen to be McD;'s shadow

Agreed, he is the only guy that can keep up with him. He takes bad penalties though and McD is notorious for causing teams to take bad penalties. Need a balance. I would like to see someone railroad McD instead of just letting him gather speed and crossing the blue line without resistance. 

Aaron Rome around for a shift?

• Huggy Bear 1

Missed the 3rd p, & all the PGT, hand wringin', to boot.

Did I jinx the boys? Said McD wasn't worth 12 mill-ish, before game. Man, that kid is something when he's rolling. How on earth could he & Drai lose to the Craphawks?

It's nice to see Canada can still produce McD, MacKinnon type talents. Gotta' tip yer hat to the opponent when they work that kinda magic.

3 hours ago, wloutet said:

I've never played hockey but watched it since the early 60's. But I have coached basketball for over 20 years. When we came up with a dominating player on the other team (like McDavid), we used to go into a "box and one" zone defence. Here one player would shadow the dominating player one-on-one, while the other four players ran a zone defence in the shape of a box. Hockey teams play a zone defence on the power play, would this work in hockey??

Yeah, hockey does the same thing too. But I don't think Green implemented a plan to have someone shadow McDavid this game because he probably thought the plan from the previous game worked so it would've worked in this game as well.

Plus, a lot of people don't talk about this but McDavid has incredible edge work. What I mean by edge work is the ability to go West/East on a dime. Most hockey players are good at going North/South which is going up and down the ice. But not a lot of players are good at going North/South and then transitioning to West/East while on top speed.

That is why you see quite a bit of people who can sometimes catch up to McDavid but fall is because McDavid goes West/East on a dime and people trying to catch him falls because not everyone can go their top speed and turn on a dime.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

-EP needs to shoot more.

Funny. I was against the Holtby signing after watching Demko's sublime playoff performance. 

Not to say I lost confidence in Demko but maybe JB knows what he is doing  by bringing in a solid vet who is a team player.