The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

You're very avidly defending this man, which can only lead me to believe that you as well are Pubjabi? You need to chill dude, this isn't a racial thing for anyone who is criticizing... No need to be this guys white knight. 

Guy just wasn't for a lot of people on here and that's fine, we know what we like and he's not it... At least not right now anyway. 

While he was by no means terrible, I found it unengaging and lacking in areas... But I'm also spoiled by Hughson, John and John. People can get upset about not liking it all they want, this is the best hockey league in the world, so we should expect high quality commentating. No need to take it personally 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

or you could say, hey, it was the guys first time doing a national broadcast in English, the execs at Rogers thought highly enough of him to give him a shot. maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he improves. 

I thought he got better as the game went on

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

REFEREES

Kevin Pollock #33
KP33.jpg
Eric Furlatt #27
EF27.jpg
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 6 30 / 11
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1367 / 205 1207 / 139
First NHL Game 3/28/00 10/8/01
Birthplace Kincardine, ON Trois-Rivieres, QC

LINESMEN

Derek Nansen #70
DN70.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 63 / 9 64 / 17
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1124 / 61 541 / 34
First NHL Game 10/11/02 1/21/13
Birthplace Ottawa, ON Cloverdale, BC

18 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

which can only lead me to believe that you as well are Pubjabi

WTF?

Now you are assigning race to people's opinions?

As to the play by play guy:

Good effort for a first timer. As the season progresses so will he, most likely.

Edited by gurn
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Does anyone ever feel like McDavid should slow the play down sometimes.  What I’m getting at is how many times a game does he end up attacking the D 1 vs 2 and if he doesn’t score it’s usually a turnover going back the other way.  The guys wheels and skill are amazing but the team won’t get over the hump until it becomes more of a team game for him.  Hopefully takes him a long time to figure it out.

With his salary, I doubt it will matter.  At least Toews and Kane won the Cup a few times before pricing the team out of being a contender.  McD and Drai between them have the same salary, but they've won a whopping one playoff series since McD started to carry that team to the promised land.

Agree with you about him trying to do it all, but sometimes that's what stars need to do when things are desperate.  Cutting back on those rushes isn't a bad idea (Shhh! ;) ), but it does get him on the highlight reel when it works.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I had to ask, as it seems so far fetched that even one attempting to parody sports literature would avoid such a title, let alone article, out of embarrassment.

I'm pretty sure that's fake guys... Someone even hilariously edited his hairline 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

WTF?

Good effort for a first timer. As the season progresses so will he, most likely.

Relax virtue signaler, I'm not "assigning race" I was asking them a question. I also notice how you very intentionally left out my question mark SIGNIFIYING THAT I WAS ASKING A QUESTION.

I put together that by the way he was defending him, and the arguments he was using were coming from a very personal place... As it's obvious that he's taking it very personally and maybe projecting some of his insecurities onto others and insinuating that people on here are racist because they didn't like him calling the game (which no one expressed at all). 

39 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

Second language or not, the calling was brutal. 

A second language by the way, that he's fluent in... So I don't see how that makes a difference on his "calling style". 

Brutal? He was fine. Not dramatic, decent voice that didn't distract from my own take of the game. 

• Cheers 2

You

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

WTF?

We are undefeated when he does our P X P in English! :)

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

You're very avidly defending this man, which can only lead me to believe that you as well are Pubjabi? You need to chill dude, this isn't a racial thing for anyone who is criticizing... No need to be this guys white knight. 

Guy just wasn't for a lot of people on here and that's fine, we know what we like and he's not it... At least not right now anyway. 

I'm as white as white gets, and I'm by no means a "white knight" or sjw. I'm just sick of needless negativity. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

Brutal? He was fine. Not dramatic, decent voice that didn't distract from my own take of the game. 

My eyes would be bleeding if I would have had to endure the Coilers play by play guy. He's goddamn awful. Nothing wrong with Debrusk though, he knows the game.

Edited by johngould21

14 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

Relax virtue signaler, I'm not "assigning race" I was asking them a question. I also notice how you very intentionally left out my question mark SIGNIFIYING THAT I WAS ASKING A QUESTION.

I put together that by the way he was defending him, and the arguments he was using were coming from a very personal place... As it's obvious that he's taking it very personally and maybe projecting some of his insecurities onto others and insinuating that people on here are racist because they didn't like him calling the game (which no one expressed at all). 

nope. none of that.

using a question mark doesn't turn a deductive assertion into a question, btw. 

23 minutes ago, Davathor said:

While he was by no means terrible, I found it unengaging and lacking in areas... But I'm also spoiled by Hughson, John and John. People can get upset about not liking it all they want, this is the best hockey league in the world, so we should expect high quality commentating. No need to take it personally 

Agreed. I cannot wait for John and John’s return... the lack of excitement in last nights announcing was disappointing as a viewer

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

The irony is you seem to be taking it very personal, yourself. Speaking of insecurities, you are now trying to explain yourself to an anonymous poster; that you have already called a 'Virtue Signaller"

Ad you  might want to stop using the "Virtue Signaller" jab,  that was way out of style last year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

"and we're about to take a break with the Oilers down 2, the Canucks up by the same".

That was pretty brutal.

So was when he quite literally sung the name Yamamoto.

Should I go on?

Please do, because it just sounds entitled and like childish whining. The fact that people feel so strongly about this is cringe to me