The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

54 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is the difference between building a team, and just high draft picks. You can have all the skill you want, but if your team can't work together. Or you have massive flaws like a lack of high end goaltending or defence. It's all for nothing. 

Sounds pretty simple but we had many on here preaching "Tank" not too long ago and drooled over the Coilers high draft picks and how they were so much better then us. I think we did "OK" regardless. ::D

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was thinking last night if I was the GM of Edmonton how tough that job would be. You can't trade McDavid, ownership and the fan base would crucify you. 

Despite what a huge haul it could bring. Only thing I could think of is be like Nashville. Start drafting a couple of goalies, and the rest defensemen. Build from the net out. 

Start drafting goalies now ??

I guess maybe McD could see a cup run in his late 30's if that's the plan... 

1 minute ago, Crimson said:

I won't ever be calling a game on national TV.  That broadcast sounded like the local radio guy calling the game on Shaw channel 10.   The play by play people on these broadcasts should be based on merit not how hard someone worked.

Also he was born and raised in Canada so that second language card is BS.

Yeah, he sucked. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Guy is getting a lot of flack here for calling the game last night. He seems to just be breaking into the big leagues and even though he made some errors (e.g. calling Roussel, Dominik Roussel), I thought he was okay. A lot of pressure to deliver a perfect play-by-play your first time. Good for him, although, I'm looking forward to the two Johns being back. 

Great result last night. I thought Jake played awful for the first two periods, but really turned things around in the third. He started making better plays, faster. Holtby was good, but then he let in a bad goal. and then he was good again. It'll take time to get used to a new team. Looking forward to Demko stealing the starter position. Hoglander is like a ball of energy out there. Fast and fearless. It looks like Bo and Pears are having fun on that line. Pettersson didn't look like himself, but that's okay, only Game 1. Boeser looks great this year. Glad Schmidt is okay after getting the puck in the neck. 

I expect EDM to come out with a better effort, they won't want to drop 2 in a row to start the season. VAN can still win it though.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Crimson said:

I won't ever be calling a game on national TV.  That broadcast sounded like the local radio guy calling the game on Shaw channel 10.   The play by play people on these broadcasts should be based on merit not how hard someone worked.

Also he was born and raised in Canada so that second language card is BS.

which language do you think was spoken around his home growing up?

he was also still better than half the guys that have called games for Sportsnet/CBC over the years. let the guy have a chance to improve so that maybe he'll have a fair opportunity one day. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, tas said:

which language do you think was spoken around his home growing up?

he was also still better than half the guys that have called games for Sportsnet/CBC over the years. let the guy have a chance to improve so that maybe he'll have a fair opportunity one day. 

Sorry but the guy can go improve his skill set by calling junior games or AAA men’s hockey in Lloydminster. I don’t have the time or patience to wait thus long for hockey to come back just to listen to some back up hack. I know times are tough and companies want to cut back. But cmon 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

In the old days when we had to endure more of the leaf arse kissers doing the play by play during national broadcasts I would mute my tube TV and tune into CKNW and listen to Jimmy Robson do the play by play.  Sometimes it was tough because there would be a delay, but once in a while you would get it just right, and you could avoid leafgasms all night...(like YAMAMAMAMAMOTO last night)

But lets give the guy a chance.  I have no problem with him (even though he could use some more refining).  

At least we didnt have to see HRUDEY!

• Cheers 1