The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Does anyone ever feel like McDavid should slow the play down sometimes.  What I’m getting at is how many times a game does he end up attacking the D 1 vs 2 and if he doesn’t score it’s usually a turnover going back the other way.  The guys wheels and skill are amazing but the team won’t get over the hump until it becomes more of a team game for him.  Hopefully takes him a long time to figure it out.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I just meant that Jake seemed out of place, whenever he got the puck, it took him a while to make a decision what to do with it. The good players don't really have to think too much about it, it's instinct. And then when he did make a play, it wasn't the best choice. But, I'll definitely cut him some slack, it was only Game 1, and saying that, he did improve, almost like a different player in the 3rd. He was quick on pucks and plays. Maybe watching Hoglander come into camp and then Game 1 will motivate him to stay in the Top 6? He knows Podkolzin is on the way in the spring as well.  

I think Hoglander is here to stay so once Miller returns he will only be competing with Pearson. I am usually critical of Pearson's "work ethic" and "consistency" as well but he played a pretty darn good game last night which I hope he can keep up. 

Like I said before, lets see what happens over a couple of games before passing judgement.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think Hoglander is here to stay so once Miller returns he will only be competing with Pearson. I am usually critical of Pearson's "work ethic" and "consistency" as well but he played a pretty darn good game last night which I hope he can keep up. 

Like I said before, lets see what happens over a couple of games before passing judgement.

Yeah, stranger things have happened. Remember Brunnstrom? 

The real test is going to be how he plays when we're losing, and if we lose more than 2 in a row, how he handles his 300ft game. 

He sure didn't look out of place at any point last night though 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, redhdlois said:

People need to settle down.  He was a last minute replacement for Gene Principe.  He calls the games on Punjabi tv.

and....he is on a winning streak.  

Agreed. Thought he did a pretty good job considering circumstances.

Not sure if this is true; but I read on HF that Hughson isn't flying - only doing games from Vancouver. So Singh might be a regular national guy with Cuthbert for games outside Van.

As he does more games in English, and not as a last minute replacement, I think he's got potential to be pretty good taking on Randorf's role. Good for opportunity for him. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Bear, Koekoek, Barrie, Jones, Nurse and Larsson.  That is worse than what we had in the depths of our rebuild.   And they have a bottom 5 goaltending tandem to go along with it.  I feel for McDavid and Drai.

I think Bear, Nurse and Larsson are solid (I don't particularly care for Nurse as a player, but that's beside the point)

And keep in mind that they are missing Klefbom.

Jones is not a bad young depth D.

I think they will miss Benning - and I'm glad Barrie did not land here (he unsurprisingly looked like the most vacant player on the ice last night...his underlying numbers will be propped up by Draisaitl and McMe1st) - but certainly he's a D to pick on/isolate among that group.

I think I'd take that group over Toronto's.

Reilly Brodie

Muzzin Holl

Dermott Bogosian.

Imo Brodie is just not an adequate top pairing partner for Reilly.  They likely intend to tilt the ice heavily for them, but I'm not convinced they have the depth of D or F to do so sufficiently, without getting killed elsewhere.

Muzzin and Holl are probably in for a long/challenging season.

Dermott and Bogosian - won't surprise me if that pairing gets rekt all year long (particularly given the makeup of the Leafs forward units).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, StiffStick33 said:

I do worry about Haminoc a little coming into this game. I think he did a pretty good job last fending mcdavid off, but hasn't really had a proper training camp. Nothing like backtoback games to get your legs goin again. 

I'm not a 'fan' of pairing Hamonic with Hughes.   And I think it's likely that coaches will look to exploit them, particularly on the road....Tippett certainly seemed to fire McMe1st out there every chance he got with Hamonic/Hughes on the ice.

I think they should limit Hamonic's minutes to pairing with Juolevi (who I think is better 'support' for him than Hughes is) and otherwise get him pk minutes.  In fairness to him, if he had rust last night, that's understandable, but even at his best he has nowhere near Tanev's ability to stay with players like McMe1st.

Myers imo is the guy you want getting more exposure with Hughes (and I think Hughes will benefit more from him / probably 'needs' him more than Juolevi does.

I'm sure Green has his reasons - but I won't be surprised if Hamonic doesn't remain paired with Hughes.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

This is how I feel this morn.

8626bf0583d2db4d50732813abdecfd7.gif.de92343b6ed40397683bba8398271778.gif

Go Nucks!

I went in to work feeling like I should run the place!  On top of the world, extra bounce in my step.  Like "OK, I'm a huge Canuck fan and you all are not therefore".  Also...could I please get my own fancy chair and parking spot?  That'd be great, thanks.  OH, I hear it's Demko in net...bet he's feeling like this too.

(Am I the only one who, when we discuss this stuff, I can picture it as an "Office" episode?)

ONLY 289 MORE MINUTES TO GO, WOOOO!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think Bear, Nurse and Larsson are solid (I don't particularly care for Nurse as a player, but that's beside the point)

And keep in mind that they are missing Klefbom.

Jones is not a bad young depth D.

I think they will miss Benning - and I'm glad Barrie did not land here (he unsurprisingly looked like the most vacant player on the ice last night...his underlying numbers will be propped up by Draisaitl and McMe1st) - but certainly he's a D to pick on/isolate among that group.

I think I'd take that group over Toronto's.

Reilly Brodie

Muzzin Holl

Dermott Bogosian.

Imo Brodie is just not an adequate top pairing partner for Reilly.  They likely intend to tilt the ice heavily for them, but I'm not convinced they have the depth of D or F to do so sufficiently, without getting killed elsewhere.

Muzzin and Holl are probably in for a long/challenging season.

Dermott and Bogosian - won't surprise me if that pairing gets rekt all year long (particularly given the makeup of the Leafs forward units).

Honestly, where would you rate the Canucks defense?  Cause I'm trying to think and I really think there's an argument that our defense is the best in the division.  Only the Canadiens and the Flames are comparable.

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm going to keep on posting this picture until we lose. It may be our good luck charm.

image.jpeg.65ca2619f90497901ae9c3640985f

15 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Ahem...hello.  I'M the good luck charm, remember..cowbell?  You new here?  :towel::lol:

@Apricot do you wanna get in on this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

Hoping to see more of this tonight. We need to continue to feed off these defensive lapses.

soilers2.jpg.8b8bdd1c6c8786d3158ca561b87d8cdd.jpg

so many of those to choose from.

in fact multiples of one player...

GIF: The Edmonton Oilers Are Still Very Bad At Defense

"this guy" was also Horvat.

the invisible man.

(there are even better ones featuring Taylor Hall. 

I don't envy Dave Tippet his task.

• Cheers 1