The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Anton Forsberg

Question about waivers (any player, not specifically this guy) at this point in the season - if a club claims someone off waivers do they have to immediately go onto their active roster or can a club claim a player off waivers and place them on their 'taxi' squad? 

Complete guess, but we waived players to put them on the Taxi squad.  I assume it counts more as and extension of the AHL then and extension of the NHL.  

As a result I don't think we could just put them on the taxi squad.  But once again, I'm not confident in this answer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Question about waivers (any player, not specifically this guy) at this point in the season - if a club claims someone off waivers do they have to immediately go onto their active roster or can a club claim a player off waivers and place them on their 'taxi' squad? 

Edmonton was the team that waived Forsberg originally.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Put a claim on this guy!! I remember he played a couple decent games.... we can use him as our 3rd string so DiPietro can develop his game in Utica!! makes perfect sense...

I was thinking this as well.  We need a decent #3, but I'd rather haev MDP playing in Utica than waiting on the taxi squad.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Put a claim on this guy!! I remember he played a couple decent games.... we can use him as our 3rd string so DiPietro can develop his game in Utica!! makes perfect sense...

It doesn't work that way because Edmonton gets first dibs on a goalie that they originally waived. It means that they can send it to their taxi squad (AHL essentially) before any other team has a chance to do it. It's still 'their' player.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

We'd have to waive him to put him on the taxi squad/be the 3rd goalie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It doesn't work that way because Edmonton gets first dibs on a goalie that they originally waived. It means that they can send it to their taxi squad (AHL essentially) before any other team has a chance to do it. It's still 'their' player.

Priority is given to teams who will keep him in the NHL.  Edmonton only gets him back if they are the only team that puts in a claim and can then send him down.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Priority is given to teams who will keep him in the NHL.  Edmonton only gets him back if they are the only team that puts in a claim and can then send him down.  

Question for you. Hypothetically, if the Canucks were to claim Forsberg, and then subsequently place him on waivers as Carolina has, would Carolina then become the only team who could claim him and also place him on the AHL team or taxi squad. Thus, disallowing Edmonton from getting him on their taxi squad? For some reason my thought was that if a team claims someone they could not waive him again within a certain timeframe.

Edited by ThaManbeast

4 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

Question for you. Hypothetically, if the Canucks were to claim Forsberg, and then subsequently place him on waivers as Carolina has, would Carolina then become the only team who could claim him and also place him on the AHL team or taxi squad. Thus, disallowing Edmonton from getting him on their taxi squad? For some reason my thought was that if a team claims someone they could not waive him again within a certain timeframe.

If both Edmonton and Vancouver put in a claim he would go to Edmonton as they have waiver priority.  They can’t put him directly to the taxi squad because there was another team putting in a claim.  Edmonton would need to use waivers again.  

Happened with Boucher several years back.  NJD waived him and he was claimed by Nashville.  After a few games they put him back through waivers.  NJD claimed him back but could not assign him to the AHL because another team had put in a claim (presumably Vancouver).  NJD then put him on waivers and he was claimed by Vancouver.

• Like 2

A little surprised that the Oilers didn't sign Jimmy Howard after the Mike Smith LTI thing. The connection runs deep between Jimmy and Ken Holland. I can only assume Howard doesn't want to move to Canada for a season and be separated from his family. My guess is Jimmy is waiting on a US based team to call him about his services.

But I don't feel bad for these goalies getting claimed. They're wanted by NHL clubs and will get NHL salaries because they are on NHL rosters... and that's especially good for them if they were on two way deals before getting claimed. And I think Grosenick, who the Oilers just claimed to replace Forsberg, was a two way guy now making his one way salary.