The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah for sure.  Jakes making 2.5 mil and coming off a career highs across the board. He’s super streaky.  The TEAM is streaky. Could very well stay on that upswing.  

Those guys have been whinging about the cap situation for 5 years and this is the first (and likely only) year it’s really going to cost us a strong player.  

It’s their one chance to do a little victory lap for the lifetime’s worth of complaining so they’re going to get their moneys worth.  

Like... they’re not technically wrong... but for the actual impact I think they’ve made their point and then some.  Time to move on. (They won’t.) 

Yes exactly my take is those contracts were in place to get are feet under us with the young guys coming in. The young guys arrived early on how much impact they have on the team. 

Which is awesome but now they are learning to be a really good team. There’s still some growing pains for sure. It’s typical to see so much highs and lows on here as fans. But I’m not gonna comply to some of the garbage that gets thrown around. We are lucky to have so many amazing players already. 

No doubt in my mind the team will start to play like they can. It just may take another game or 2. Hopefully not as I’m already starving for a win like anyone else lol.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NHTyrany said:

Just ride it out with Loui and use the cap to sign a key youngster. It's a wash, we will not make any improvements until we can shed our bottom 6 overpriced contracts and bring in some more muscle. I don't get the Sutter, Rousel and Ferland signings. None of them are imposing. Ferland was once but that was before concussion issues, yet he was our tough guy...odd.

I think that’s by far the fan consensus to ride our Loui but I think it’ll be tempting to move on.  For me it really depends on what’s available.

Sutter, Roussel and Ferland are classic Canuck luck.  Sutter was signed in a different world... the team was a bottom feeder and we were looking for a gritty, responsible matchup C to free up Bo, he was a 15+ goal guy who could soak up tough assignments.  Then his groin started to go. He’s still alright when healthy but never took that next step.

Roussel was brought in to replace Dorsett (remember how awesome he looked before he had to retire?  What a shame)  and looked awesome too until he wrecked his knee. Now he looks a shadow of his former self (and isn’t getting much of a chance to prove otherwise.)

Ferland is similar - but was high risk high reward - would have looked awesome if he was healthy and a lot of people loved the signing...  but quite typically we got the worst possible result. 

I liked the idea of all of these guys but at various levels they sure haven’t lived up to expectations. Sutter has been okay, the other two are flop despite in their primes being exactly what this team needs more of. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Time to sit Motte.

He’s been a warrior for us but he’s cost us the last two games and has not earned a spot in the lineup.

Two penalties against in each of the last two games I believe and goals against on those calls. If he’s not available to pk for us his role is effectively reduced to nothing.

we were shutout there bud, i am pretty sure Motte doesn't sit atop our leaderboard, ever. 

5 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

JB is in his 6th year, and has won one traditional playoff round.

The longest serving Canuck GM in history was only GM for 10 years.

He’s all in. If the team doesn’t take a significant step forward by the end of next season latest he’s done.

Probably why he didn’t buy out any players cause that would effect the cap next year when he has to sign Petey and Hughes. Make sense now?

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I feel the same excuses were a mainstay with the Sedins as well, when we lost it was everyone else's fault except there's. Need to call a spade a spade , their pro's. We shouldn't have to rely all of our offense on ONE PLAYER. 

The trouble with the bottom 6 and our cap woes are with  LE, Baertchi and Luongo and their 11 million plus cap hit. None of which are doing us any good and are of no use. 

The rest of the bottom 6 will be gone in the next 2 seasons, not a concern. 

And at least Beagle, Sutter, and Roussel are doing something.  They may be overpaid for what they're doing but Sutter and Beagle in particular play a lot of hard minutes that does serve a purpose.  But yeah, that 11 mil for absolutely nothing is awful.  That's Toffoli and  a chunk of Pettersson/Hughes next contract right there.

Just now, EdgarM said:

I feel the same excuses were a mainstay with the Sedins as well, when we lost it was everyone else's fault except there's. Need to call a spade a spade , their pro's. We shouldn't have to rely all of our offense on ONE PLAYER. 

The trouble with the bottom 6 and our cap woes are with  LE, Baertchi and Luongo and their 11 million plus cap hit. None of which are doing us any good and are of no use. 

The rest of the bottom 6 will be gone in the next 2 seasons, not a concern. 

You keep implying that I’m making excuses and complaining.  I’m not making a judgment of this team on three games.  I’m looking at the big picture of this year.  The offence will be ok.  Good enough to keep them on most games. 

Beagle, roussel and sutter are useful players but their salaries are going to hinder the upward trajectory of the team.  Loui and the other contracts you mention make it even worse.

This year might be a lateral year at best.  Once they shed the albatross contracts given to players that slot in the bottom 6 they can fill some of the voids with impact players.  

26 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

A couple of off games is OK to me.

My bigger concern is how soft the team is. No big hits, no making it hard for the other team. It's like Nucks want to play shinny and the other team treats all our player like punching bags. Thought we were beyond this but I guess it a hard thing to change. It's like Green is afraid for his little stars but that won't win any cups anytime.

They are lacking a hulking, big,

fast power forward like a Josh Anderson or Tkachuk. It’s hard to believe it’s taking so long for Benning to recognize that. You can’t be too soft in this league or you get run over.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Darius said:

I keep saying this over and over.. this is the last time.  It’s only been three games. 

I’m not concerned about the offence. It will be ok when Miller comes back.  This team had no trouble scoring last year and I expect that to continue.

My concern is the bottom two lines of the roster.  Not very good bang for the buck and this team won’t take the next step imho until it rids itself off the albatross contracts.  Money that can be used for another legit to 6 ( required to beat the better teams) and a legit to 4 dman ( required to beat the better teams) 

I agree. I will say I think Schmidt is that T4D - but long term he might just be the Edler replacement. So we will need another.

Your bang on with the forwards. At this point we've know that we have an elite core, its the rest of the roster that needs to be filled out.

In the bigger picture Schmidt & Hoglander are MASSIVE long-term additions towards that, which we didn't have before. And we've got Pod coming too. But they need to find a 3rd line C they can trust, and they need to find the right mix of players to fill the bottom of the roster, specifically forwards. (because we do have young defensemen)

• Like 1

I'll say this, the bad thing about our cap situation, is that we didn't get to stack up while we had Hughes and petey on cheap contracts. We'll still be good, but we did lose a couple years of being able to really stack up. 

• Vintage 1

Guys are ripping on Motter, when really, he's one of the few guys playing like he gives a &^@#.

They look like a preseason team, so does everyone else, MTL is the only team that looks somewhat polished so far.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1

On 10/25/2020 at 6:36 PM, fanfor42 said:

In 2 years time the Canucks roster/prospects will look like this:

Petey 23

Boeser 25

Miller 29

Horvat 27

Podkolzin 21

Hoglander 21

Gaudette 26

Virtanen 26

Motte 27

MacEwen 26

Lind 24

Hughes 23

Schmidt 31

Juolevi 24

Myers 32

Rathbone 23

Rafferty 27

Demko 26

Additional possible players:   Tryamkin 28 Woo 22 Jurmo 20 DiPietro 23

Also no dead weight contracts or costs will exist any more.  Gone will be Eriksson Sutter Beagle Baertschi Rous Luongo Spooner all to the tune of 24m or so. as a result, the Canucks will be able to add a top UFA or two.

This will be the time that the Canucks can become a powerhouse in the league.  There may be 6 or so teams in the entire league who will be in this type of shape in 2 years.

Calgary won't be one of them lol..

Looking forward to it!

This was posted back in October.
One of the most Telling posts of how Benning is building the team.  

It’s going to be challenging watching games like tonight, some pain for maybe 2 more years. But then, it’s gonna be awesome!

So for everyone yapping about toffoli this , dead contracts that, consider the long term outlook, and how some young players have excelled and pushed some vets to becoming a dead contract.

As pissed as I am about tonight, it was about effort, and “give a sh#t factor”.  Not about toffoli over Jake.  Tonight we could have used someone with a non stop motor, may someone named Jayce?

Sorry, rant over, my phone just won’t stop and I’m getting annoyed.

Go Canucks!

• Cheers 3