The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

Which is why I said the end of next season. Make sense now?

You said JB is all in?? Can’t be true with the way the off-season went 

If you are suggesting he has to win a cup next year then i disagree. You want to stay as competitive as possible for as long as possible so have many chances at it. Washington Capitals are the perfect example. So no he is not all in.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Guys are ripping on Motter, when really, he's one of the few guys playing like he gives a &^@#.

They look like a preseason team so far. MTL is the only team that looks somewhat polished so far.

Motte is a penalty killer first and foremost.

When your number 1 penalty killer is the most undisciplined player you’re gonna have a tough time.

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

You keep implying that I’m making excuses and complaining.  I’m not making a judgment of this team on three games.  I’m looking at the big picture of this year.  The offence will be ok.  Good enough to keep them on most games. 

Beagle, roussel and sutter are useful players but their salaries are going to hinder the upward trajectory of the team.  Loui and the other contracts you mention make it even worse.

This year might be a lateral year at best.  Once they shed the albatross contracts given to players that slot in the bottom 6 they can fill some of the voids with impact players.  

This is Sutter's last year of his contract and Beagle and Roussel's contract ends next season and there only 3 million a piece , not sure if I would call them , albatross. Not an issue at this point

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They are lacking a hulking, big,

fast power forward like a Josh Anderson or Tkachuk. It’s hard to believe it’s taking so long for Benning to recognize that. You can’t be too soft in this league or you get run over.

I am pretty sure that's why he signed Ferlund, no? 

30 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think that’s by far the fan consensus to ride our Loui but I think it’ll be tempting to move on.  For me it really depends on what’s available.

Sutter, Roussel and Ferland are classic Canuck luck.  Sutter was signed in a different world... the team was a bottom feeder and we were looking for a gritty, responsible matchup C to free up Bo, he was a 15+ goal guy who could soak up tough assignments.  Then his groin started to go. He’s still alright when healthy but never took that next step.

Roussel was brought in to replace Dorsett (remember how awesome he looked before he had to retire?  What a shame)  and looked awesome too until he wrecked his knee. Now he looks a shadow of his former self (and isn’t getting much of a chance to prove otherwise.)

Ferland is similar - but was high risk high reward - would have looked awesome if he was healthy and a lot of people loved the signing...  but quite typically we got the worst possible result. 

I liked the idea of all of these guys but at various levels they sure haven’t lived up to expectations. Sutter has been okay, the other two are flop despite in their primes being exactly what this team needs more of. 

With hindsight, it would had been prudent for Jb to had only offered a two year deal to motivate them to play for another contract.  If I am GM, I would only offer a bottom six player a take it or leave two year deal...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

It's going to be a long season with such awful PP & PK.

Oilers PP is so dangerous as McDavid & Draisaitl both love to shoot. If they don't score, the Oilers can still go for the rebounds. Petey had his chances in PP tonight but he repeatedly chose to pass for a tip instead of shoot. They eventually turned out to be harmless plays. If Petey keeps doing that, the PP is going nowhere as he is one of the best shooters on the team. The 2nd unit should be given more chances as Virtanen, audette and Pearson all love to shoot which would make them more dangerous. If you don't shoot you don't score. It's that simple

Giving up 5 PP goals in 2 games and there's 9 out 10 chances the Canucks would lose both games and they actuallydid. The 1st goal has been the Flames set play for quite a few years now and I wonder if the Canucks coaches really know that by now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

How fitting that squam would be the CDC source of JD Burke.

The comical thing about Burke's ignorance....

1) Toffoli doesn't have a point (either) - as if the team's fate would be different were he here...

2) Hoglander is the player that would have been blocked by Toffoli's presence (not Virtanen).

but, most importantly

3) the principal problem is not having a center replacement for Miller = being too young (and not strong enough) down the middle.

No Miller neutralizes their primary scoring line....right now it's win/die on the powerplay - and they simply are not producing.

Burke - as usual - has no idea what he's talking about.

But good timing as a desperate, whiny attention seeker.

And even more bottom line (that I wouldn't expect a noob like Burke to understand) - if the team were to spend the extra cap on one of their departing players - it should have been Tanev.

I'm absolutely by no means a JD fan. But - regardless of if the solution was Toffoli - questioning keeping Jake over using his $$$ on someone else is a very valid critique, never-mind holding out hope for him this long in the first place.

1) He doesn't - but that's in MTL, we saw how he fit in our lineup. Which is more important in the analysis of potentially bringing Toff back to our group.

2) This is the best point against it. But the counter would be Hog could've had a top 9 spot (Jake's spot) available to compete for, and if he showed the battle & potential he has in camp he would've gotten that chance.

3) I agree. But having Toff and Hoglander, instead of Jake & Hoglander, would be more helpful for our offense in Miller's absence. 

Whether the money would've been better spent on Tanev is another layer. Which introduces Hamonic to the equation aswell. 

And I generally hate JD but I try to call it as I see it. He also had the best analysis of Juolevi on Friday. (Albeit a very low bar - maybe that's not a big complement).

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They are lacking a hulking, big,

fast power forward like a Josh Anderson or Tkachuk. It’s hard to believe it’s taking so long for Benning to recognize that. You can’t be too soft in this league or you get run over.

A player could not fix an unprepared and unmotivated team. Hopefully, this is just an early season funk they are in...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

17 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Really? That's interesting. I kinda get what your saying but I don't think Jake & Bo are comparable in that.

I think the 2nd line Kesler/ROR/Bergeron type was always Bo's projected potential. I agree at his size he could make a bigger impact if he tried to put the foot to the floor - which he did to degree in the playoffs & other times through the years - but its hard to do it 82 games. But he's not far off - unlike Jake who just isn't what we thought he could be at all.

I do think there is another gear for Bo though. I guess thats what your saying. And I agree with that notion.

We almost need to find a Manny Malhotra type 3C. His addition was so underrated in how it helped Kesler, and underrated in how big a loss he was in the playoffs. Selke caliber matchup/defensive 3C that could free up a talented 2-way C like Kesler (And Horvat). 

Yeah I agree. It's not comparable it's just something I can compare it to. You said it best, both have another gear they can achieve. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Motte has taken 8 minutes worth of penalties in the last 2 games and we allowed 3 goals against in that time.

For a guy whose primary role is a penalty killer, when he takes away that role from himself that makes himself useless to the team.

So  our PK's atrocious play lately is Motte's fault?

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Motte is a penalty killer first and foremost.

When your number 1 penalty killer is the most undisciplined player you’re gonna have a tough time.

Well boohoo, deniro, he's chippy and playing all ornery. 

Shocking. Nobody is all chippy and ornery these days

Edit - further to that. The edge that Motte was playing with, is something most of the team is lacking.

At least Edler knows whats up right now.

Anyways. Game 3 man. Settle down.

They looked like $&!# but it's not really a big deal.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

This team will not be ready to take the next step until:

- Coaching staff is gone 

- Sutter is gone 

- Roussel is gone 

- Beagle is gone 

- Loui’s contract is gone 

- Podz gets here 

- Tram is back on D 

- Jake wakes up or is gone 

Your right about everything except these points. 

Travis Green is a great coach and I truly believe that. I don't think there's a better option available (if you mean the staff aside from him, then sure)

Tram isn't the answer. He's not a top player in the KHL. And if he's not its hard to have hope for him as an answer. He's not a young prospect anymore, if he's coming back its as a secondary player, not as a primary piece. 

11 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

This team will not be ready to take the next step until:

- Coaching staff is gone 

- Sutter is gone 

- Roussel is gone 

- Beagle is gone 

- Loui’s contract is gone 

- Podz gets here 

- Tram is back on D 

- Jake wakes up or is gone 

It seems the team needs a new voice and culture to reach the next level.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Your right about everything except these points. 

Travis Green is a great coach and I truly believe that. I don't think there's a better option available (if you mean the staff aside from him, then sure)

Tram isn't the answer. He's not a top player in the KHL. And if he's not its hard to have hope for him as an answer. He's not a young prospect anymore, if he's coming back its as a secondary player, not as a primary piece. 

Don't argue with the atom coach. It's just not worth it.

• Thanks 1