The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Your right about everything except these points. 

Travis Green is a great coach and I truly believe that. I don't think there's a better option available (if you mean the staff aside from him, then sure)

Tram isn't the answer. He's not a top player in the KHL. And if he's not its hard to have hope for him as an answer. He's not a young prospect anymore, if he's coming back its as a secondary player, not as a primary piece. 

Tram would be a piece as everyone is a piece but he is a big body and we need big bodies 

Green is not a great coach. He does zip in game to change the course of a game. He is a deer on the headlights. Yes brown and Baumer are completely useless but if we are going to take the next step we need a real coach 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Your right about everything except these points. 

Travis Green is a great coach and I truly believe that. I don't think there's a better option available (if you mean the staff aside from him, then sure)

Tram isn't the answer. He's not a top player in the KHL. And if he's not its hard to have hope for him as an answer. He's not a young prospect anymore, if he's coming back its as a secondary player, not as a primary piece. 

At this point, perhaps a re vamp of the staff might be the cheapest way to stir the pot.   

Just now, EdgarM said:

This is Sutter's last year of his contract and Beagle and Roussel's contract ends next season and there only 3 million a piece , not sure if I would call them , albatross. Not an issue at this point

Disagree.  It is an issue at this point. The totality of those contracts are probably going to hold them back this year.  It’s not just one contract it’s the totality.

Hate to pick on roussel , but what does he provide the team that a young ahl up and comer can’t provide for a fraction of the price? Take his salary and some of beagles and you can get yourself a nice second line winger that can give you another dimension on the score sheet.  I know we like our players but roussel and beagle type players seem to be a dime o dozen. 

You are right though the contracts will be flushed in the next couple years. All I’m saying is don’t expect much until the bulk of them are gone and they can use the money to improve. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Pretty much.

He is a key part of our first unit and if he’s taking two penalties a game he’s hurting our chances of winning.

Give Motte a break - he is just padding his stat.   All kidding aside some discipline and in game awareness during crucial parts of the way would had been preferred.  Perhaps he should fight JV and bring the beast from within out - unless that beast is a teddy bear....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Tough. You can tell his heart hasn't totally moved on. I think Marky made the right decision for himself & I personally wish him the best. He was great here.

But when we play them I hope Petey gets him pulled every game. 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Tram would be a piece as everyone is a piece but he is a big body and we need big bodies 

Green is not a great coach. He does zip in game to change the course of a game. He is a deer on the headlights. Yes brown and Baumer are completely useless but if we are going to take the next step we need a real coach 

Tram is at best a bottom pair defenseman. Would I be interested if he wanted to come back? For sure. If he can skate & be physical as a #6 that would be great, having the correct supporting pieces is very valuable. But I'm not looking at him as much more than that. 

As far as Green. I question the defensive system/structure. I'd love to ask him about it over a beer, but otherwise I think he's been great. He's developed the young players exceptionally, and he's pushed the right buttons with much of the personnel.

I think Green is a future Jack Adams winner & I don't think there's a better option available for us at the moment. 

• Like 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Pretty much.

He is a key part of our first unit and if he’s taking two penalties a game he’s hurting our chances of winning.

TBH , I don't think  a couple of the calls were even penalties. I don't mind penalties as  long as they are not "Lazy" penalties like hooking or holding because you are too lazy to keep your feet moving. Motte was actually probably one of the only players willing to "Engage" in this game and that is the problem right now, not Motte.

15 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is Sutter's last year of his contract and Beagle and Roussel's contract ends next season and there only 3 million a piece , not sure if I would call them , albatross. Not an issue at this point

Wait...I thought this is the 3rd and final year for Beagle and Roussel??? Well they do play hard for their role so I don't mind bringing them back on a cheap $1M contract! 

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well boohoo, deniro, he's chippy and playing all ornery. 

Shocking. Nobody is all chippy and ornery these days

Edit - further to that. The edge that Motte was playing with, is something most of the team is lacking.

At least Edler knows whats up right now.

Anyways. Game 3 man. Settle down.

They looked like $&!# but it's not really a big deal.

It’s great to play with an edge.

It’s not great to shoot yourself in the foot every game because you can’t keep up with the play.

Motte is getting paid good money to be our top pker. If he can’t stay out of the box he’s useless to us plain and simple:

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

TBH , I don't think  a couple of the calls were even penalties. I don't mind penalties as  long as they are not "Lazy" penalties like hooking or holding because you are too lazy to keep your feet moving. Motte was actually probably one of the only players willing to "Engage" in this game and that is the problem right now, not Motte.

Every one of his penalties were him reaching with his stick because he lost his man.

Those penalties are lazy and can absolutely be avoided.

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

9 more games against these guys. F*** Tanev & Markstrom, they are the enemy now.

Calgary didn't play amazing tonight - we just played horrifically. When we are back to form they are in for a rude awakening. 

They shut us out last year in the home opener and that wasn’t even against Markstrom, it was Big Save Dave lmao. 

Boys will start gelling again