The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

9 more games against these guys. F*** Tanev & Markstrom, they are the enemy now.

Calgary didn't play amazing tonight - we just played horrifically. When we are back to form they are in for a rude awakening. 

The Canucks were playing to give Markie a shutout.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

At this point, perhaps a re vamp of the staff might be the cheapest way to stir the pot.   

Including Green? If its the assistants sure, I'm open to that - if your including Green then I'm out. You can't take for granted what you have in a coach.

I remember wanting AV out after the 2012 series against LA. And when he finally got fired after the SJ series I was celebrating. (And I had loved AV right up till the essentially the stretch of the 11-12 season)

The point is, after that we had; Torts & Willie. Complete disaster behind the bench. And going through that made me realize the mistake in not having a high end coach like AV.

AV was at the end of his rope when he was fired, but he was a better option than what we went forward with. I don't think Green is close to the end of his rope - but even if it was a debate I wouldn't just throw him overboard so easily without a good replacement. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tough. You can tell his heart hasn't totally moved on. I think Marky made the right decision for himself & I personally wish him the best. He was great here.

But when we play them I hope Petey gets him pulled every game. 

Tram is at best a bottom pair defenseman. Would I be interested if he wanted to come back? For sure. If he can skate & be physical as a #6 that would be great, having the correct supporting pieces is very valuable. But I'm not looking at him as much more than that. 

As far as Green. I question the defensive system/structure. I'd love to ask him about it over a beer, but otherwise I think he's been great. He's developed the young players exceptionally, and he's pushed the right buttons with much of the personnel.

I think Green is a future Jack Adams winner & I don't think there's a better option available for us at the moment. 

Agree with Tran at 6 D

Gallant is much more of a coach Than Green 

plus Brown and Baumer are Green’s guys. What does that tell you about his decision making ability? Those 2 should have been gone long ago 

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

We we're being nice. Butter him up for next time when the lotto line chases him.

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

They shut us out last year in the home opener and that wasn’t even against Markstrom, it was Big Save Dave lmao. 

Boys will start gelling again 

Yup. I remember being very frustrated after the brutal Sutter turnover to McD in EDM - then the shutout in Calgary. 

There's less time to say 'its early' this year, but it is still early and we are missing Miller (arguably as valuable as Petey last year).

Realistically if we pickup the win Monday we're still on track. 2-2 on this roadtrip was always a reasonable goal. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Hard to compare seasons though.

A lot more runaway to make mistakes last season.

True enough. We are 1-2. I think we were gonna lose 2 games at some point. Let’s see what the boys bring Monday that’ll be a real test. Going 1-3 won’t be good. I’ve been thinking you gotta stay .500 just to stay a float and win these mini series to get in 

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not surprising Marky got a shutout...

I mean... and then Tanev playing in front of him is basically “you guys do what you do and we’ll just design around that”.

Harmonic doesn’t bring the same pedigree to the Canucks as the Markstrom/Tanev duo.

Man. The Canucks are going to figure it out. But man.

42 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Really? That's interesting. I kinda get what your saying but I don't think Jake & Bo are comparable in that.

I think the 2nd line Kesler/ROR/Bergeron type was always Bo's projected potential. I agree at his size he could make a bigger impact if he tried to put the foot to the floor - which he did to degree in the playoffs & other times through the years - but its hard to do it 82 games. But he's not far off - unlike Jake who just isn't what we thought he could be at all.

I do think there is another gear for Bo though. I guess thats what your saying. And I agree with that notion.

We almost need to find a Manny Malhotra type 3C. His addition was so underrated in how it helped Kesler, and underrated in how big a loss he was in the playoffs. Selke caliber matchup/defensive 3C that could free up a talented 2-way C like Kesler (And Horvat). 

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Including Green? If its the assistants sure, I'm open to that - if your including Green then I'm out. You can't take for granted what you have in a coach.

I remember wanting AV out after the 2012 series against LA. And when he finally got fired after the SJ series I was celebrating. (And I had loved AV right up till the essentially the stretch of the 11-12 season)

The point is, after that we had; Torts & Willie. Complete disaster behind the bench. And going through that made me realize the mistake in not having a high end coach like AV.

AV was at the end of his rope when he was fired, but he was a better option than what we went forward with. I don't think Green is close to the end of his rope - but even if it was a debate I wouldn't just throw him overboard so easily without a good replacement. 

Oops - I meant assistant coaches.  I agree that changing Green does not guarantee anything and perhaps the new assistant coaches can bring in some much needed new energy the needs to go to the next level.  The management team should know when to do moves like these....

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1