The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Time to sit Motte.

He’s been a warrior for us but he’s cost us the last two games and has not earned a spot in the lineup.

Two penalties against in each of the last two games I believe and goals against on those calls. If he’s not available to pk for us his role is effectively reduced to nothing.

The problem isn’t Motte. The problem is he’s on our 2nd PP unit. 

Think about that. We only have one injury in the top-6. And a rookie surpassed all expectations and took a top-6 spot - so it’s sort of a wash. So was the plan to have Motte on PP2 all along?

If that doesn’t scream “lacking scoring depth”...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess it’s now fair to say that Pettersson is not the star of our team... Miller obviously are. I was surprised by Miller’s excellence last year but thought that was much thanks to Petey. Now... I’m not so sure anymore. Petey looks lost out there without JT.

I really hope Petey finds some new mojo because he’s been very silent. Especially in 10 (or 11!?) PP’s in a row now.

But hey, let’s get back into it on Monday. And I sure hope Petey makes me look like a fool then :towel:

2 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

It also seems unnecessary and lazy imo. Just... Why? 

I wasn’t a fan, but with the link at the top it’s growing on me, with games coming thick and fast already it’s easy to see with the GDT and PGT being separate it will just clog the board up and be difficult to see at a glance the most current one.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, BlackRedYellow said:

I guess it’s now fair to say that Pettersson is not the star of our team... Miller obviously are. I was surprised by Miller’s excellence last year but thought that was much thanks to Petey. Now... I’m not so sure anymore. Petey looks lost out there without JT.

I really hope Petey finds some new mojo because he’s been very silent. Especially in 10 (or 11!?) PP’s in a row now.

But hey, let’s get back into it on Monday. And I sure hope Petey makes me look like a fool then :towel:

3 games in dont think we really gotta worry atm.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, sockeye said:

I am a long time Canucks fan but when I heard that JT Miller could miss the first 4 to 6 games, I was one of the 22% who voted against the Canucks making the playoffs this year (in the TSN poll a few days ago).  Those few games don't sound like much but in this short season (with so many back to back games), if you have a few losses, your team can quickly find itself in a bind.  I just feel that many Canucks fans are overestimating our team this year.  Last year, thanks to unbelievable goaltending (in spite of the huge number of shots against - too many times), I think we overachieved but that was great.

I like Hoglander and he is a very good addition but I don't feel that he is the going to be a game changer (that some here predict) this year (maybe next year) and we have lost a lot of depth compared to last year (Tanev, Toffoli, Leivo, Stecher - not to mention Markstrom of course).  I would prefer to not have to play Hoglander on that top line this early in his career.

\We really miss JT on the first line and, especially, on the powerplay.  Somehow, we need to figure out who can take his spot and we need to get more pucks through to the goalie especially on the powerplay.  Also, we cannot afford to take the number of penalties we're taking - we need more discipline and we need to stay out of the penalty box.

I do think the team made the right decision in not signing Marky and Tanev to long term contracts given the young core of our team, but I think this is a year where we are going to take a step back unless Benning can pull off a magnificent trade.  I agree with Brian Burke that Montreal is going to take first place in the Canadian Division and it will be hard to bet against Toronto and Calgary taking 2nd and 3rd place (respectively) in the Division.  I don't think we have the firepower and depth to take that 4th spot in the Division.  

I just don't think we are good enough to be a Stanley Cup contender (our defence is so so and our bottom 6 is not strong enough) and, this year, we don't have the depth needed to be a contender.  I also want Green re-signed as I think he is a very good coach and that is not where our problems lie.  I just think we are short a few good players to be a contender.

I hate to be a downer but, anyway, that's how I feel and I hope I'm wrong about my prediction for the Canucks this year.  I'm still a loyal Canucks fan as always.  Flame away, no pun intended :)

we beat blues and took knights to game 7 last yr and we are missing our leading scorer theres plenty of time for things to change   we beat calgarynext game we are 500  theres 53 games left in season im not to worried. Sucks we lost markstrom but holtby is a good fill in we would gave lost marky or demko at expansion  and schmidt hamonic juloevi are better than tanev and stecher. Three games in we are still playing sloppy watch green to clean it up a bit im not worried.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Jake seems to prefer the Mark Messier method of scoring - flying down the boards and hitting the goalies logo with his hair flowing in the wind.  I agree but Jake won't get in those areas...

Wonder when these Jake Jake expectations end season after season. He just aint good enough for the position he was drafted.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't remember who the troll was that I gave crap to pre-game, but I owe you an apology. Lol.

That was some ugly hockey. Also, Motter with 3 terrible penalties that led to 3 back breaking goals in back to back games. Can only imagine CDC and the media's reaction had that been Jake. Greener woulda glued his ass to the bench too. Motter gets to keep taking regular shifts though. Accountability they say. :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

It's not all bad, it's just the line combos that were bad.

Jake does not belong to the first line neither does he really click with Petey.

Hogs is a treat but Bo needs winger that play another style.

The PP is to much art and to little work.

The PK misses Loui. Sad, but true.

And even the D combos should be shuffled.

Green has to fix that.

Edited by the harry

2 hours ago, sockeye said:

I am a long time Canucks fan but when I heard that JT Miller could miss the first 4 to 6 games, I was one of the 22% who voted against the Canucks making the playoffs this year (in the TSN poll a few days ago).  Those few games don't sound like much but in this short season (with so many back to back games), if you have a few losses, your team can quickly find itself in a bind.  I just feel that many Canucks fans are overestimating our team this year.  Last year, thanks to unbelievable goaltending (in spite of the huge number of shots against - too many times), I think we overachieved but that was great.

I like Hoglander and he is a very good addition but I don't feel that he is the going to be a game changer (that some here predict) this year (maybe next year) and we have lost a lot of depth compared to last year (Tanev, Toffoli, Leivo, Stecher - not to mention Markstrom of course).  I would prefer to not have to play Hoglander on that top line this early in his career.

\We really miss JT on the first line and, especially, on the powerplay.  Somehow, we need to figure out who can take his spot and we need to get more pucks through to the goalie especially on the powerplay.  Also, we cannot afford to take the number of penalties we're taking - we need more discipline and we need to stay out of the penalty box.

I do think the team made the right decision in not signing Marky and Tanev to long term contracts given the young core of our team, but I think this is a year where we are going to take a step back unless Benning can pull off a magnificent trade.  I agree with Brian Burke that Montreal is going to take first place in the Canadian Division and it will be hard to bet against Toronto and Calgary taking 2nd and 3rd place (respectively) in the Division.  I don't think we have the firepower and depth to take that 4th spot in the Division.  

I just don't think we are good enough to be a Stanley Cup contender (our defence is so so and our bottom 6 is not strong enough) and, this year, we don't have the depth needed to be a contender.  I also want Green re-signed as I think he is a very good coach and that is not where our problems lie.  I just think we are short a few good players to be a contender.

I hate to be a downer but, anyway, that's how I feel and I hope I'm wrong about my prediction for the Canucks this year.  I'm still a loyal Canucks fan as always.  Flame away, no pun intended :)

While they haven't played like it, I think the Canucks have a better team this year. Toffoli is a loss but in reality, he barely played for us due to injury. 

All the other players we've lost that you mentioned, we've upgraded. 

Add to that, the young core is a year older after that invaluable playoff experience, I expect more from this team. 

• Cheers 1