The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

What is absolutely killing us right now is our special teams. That needs to change soon or we are going to be out of it before we know it. We cannot afford to lose games in a row frequently, and 3-4 game losing streaks could mean the difference of us not making the playoffs.

Next game is a MUST win.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree it is an issue. we could be looking at a Top 5 draft pick if the boys dont turn this around. The book is out on Pettersson and Hughes dont give them any room . Movement and good passing, speed is needed and no fancy stuff back to basics .

Our guys are just not moving their feet and fighting through checks 

yes we are getting jammed and and frankly held but so what? Keep your feet moving and at least force a call like Petey did 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What is absolutely killing us right now is our special teams. That needs to change soon or we are going to be out of it before we know it. We cannot afford to lose games in a row frequently, and 3-4 game losing streaks could mean the difference of us not making the playoffs.

Next game is a MUST win.

Sad thing is that this is not new 

Siri so teams have sucked for a very long time yet Green refuses to remove Brown? Why? 

green is an arrogant coach that simply refuses blame and refuses to admit he needs to make changes....it’s always oh well we are fine, just bad luck 

3 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I thought Myers was solid, jumped up and controlled the play a bit, had a good QB burst on PP2 and he basically played Edlers minutes with a pk in there.

Myers was solid and has been.  Not sure what games some on here are watching.   Hamonic also looked good esp for a guy that hasnt played in 11 months- he will get better.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

People's been way overhyping Pettersson for a while now. Did you see McDavid in Game 2? That's what superstar domination looks like. Pettersson's not there yet. He has shown flashes of it during the first 40 games of season 18/19. That super accurate wicked shot, that zone control where the opposition actually backs off when he has the puck. Dunno where it went.. 

No one expects Petey to be Mcdavid or Mackinnon.  He doesnt have that ability. But he still has superstar talent.  I think playing with Boeser hurts him.  He spends too much time looking for his buddy when he either has other options or can handle the puck himself.  The overpassing on the pp has become cringeworthy.   He also needs Miller on his line to help drive the play and win puck battles.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

No one expects Petey to be Mcdavid or Mackinnon.  He doesnt have that ability. But he still has superstar talent.  I think playing with Boeser hurts him.  He spends too much time looking for his buddy when he either has other options or can handle the puck himself.  The overpassing on the pp has become cringeworthy.   He also needs Miller on his line to help drive the play and win puck battles.  

Maybe the Canucks should use the element of surprise on the PP and SHOOT!!!!! B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

The Canucks inability to just f’n shoot on the power play gave me a chance to check out WandaVision!

I watch both episodes and still have no real idea of what it is.   
I know the characters, but have no clue what’s happening or where it is going.  
But it was fairly funny so far I guess.  
I’ll keep watching just because I keep feeling like something is going to happen.  (Unlike watching the Canucks)

32 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Maybe the Canucks should use the element of surprise on the PP and SHOOT!!!!! B)

Step one - Check stick flex 

step two - shoot 

Step 3 - crash the net 

pretty simple

basic rule needless passes don’t result in goals but DO result in wasted time 

are you paying attention Newell? 

here is a simple suggestion, throw Schmidt of the point rip shots until you injure every shot blocker or get it through. Stick a fat butt in front of the net and bang in rebounds 

just good old hockey but that apparently is below our “elite” coaching staff 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Well being badly outplayed in 2/3 of your games is not concerning to you? 

having zero special teams is not concerning to you? You ok with our powerplay? Penalty kill? Physical play? Discipline?

if we were playing hard, dominating, bring physical and just not getting breaks it would be a different story but we are stinking out the rink 

Being badly outplayed? I’d say the Sens were badly outplayed by the Leafs last night - and a close result.   What game were you watching?   5 x 5 was flat even.   Special teams (again) were the difference.    And not in a good way, them’s the breaks.   Why is it after every loss your one of the most vocal posters?  It’s like you like it when we lose it something and get into a manic negative rip on the coaching, the players and the GM.    Glad you weren’t around for the Quin teams,  or if your were, the internet and this forum. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

We're only 3 games in but this reminds me of last year where Marky had to clearly be the better goalie for us to win.

Calgary won the CF battle and especially grade a chances .60-40%

One of the main issues seems to be our D on paper looks very good but they haven't figured out their pairings yet. Everyone has a new partner and the communication and positioning isnt there. Especially Myers/ Juolevi and Hughes/ Hamonic.

Matching Edler and Myers, or Hughes and Myers on the same pairing may be a start, but unfortunately Edler also looks like he's lost a step.

Hope he proves me wrong and its just a slow start.

1 hour ago, GetFocht said:

I really think it's JT Miller missing. When he comes back, all will be right.

Agree, i'm sure he's thrown a few objects frustrated and wanting to be in the line up. especially being healthy and ready go

Really think overall him or Bo are our most valuable players right now (more the Petey or Hughes) so without him it shakes the whole team up.

• Vintage 1

We have the skill to score especially on the PP but when it is so predictable and all they want to do is pass pass pass pass pass its quite easy to defend. Like I said last year the Stationary PP needs to go so in with some new PP coaching blood out with the retread hire Newell Brown.

As for Petey, its early still but I expect elite young talent to come out of the gates firing on all cylinders. People advocating a large contract increase for the kid spewing out 10m per year...Kid has to show it every game to earn that kind of coin AND he needs to become a TRUE C and learn and Win in the faceoff dot. 

This year is going to have ups and downs, we are in tough in this Canadian division and will be pressing to make the post season. Grind out this condensed schedule and see how it unfolds, but the least the team can do is put in a solid effort every game. 

Imagine if last night's game was a home game and 18,000 of you paid near $100-300 per ticket to watch that garbage...must make a lot of coin if you wouldn't consider that a waste of your time/$.

Changing up the roster a bit might be a good thing, issue is LE is likely 1 of the first to get put in and that is just a waste! I wish we kept Sven on taxi squad but what he did last year to me was the writing on the wall and the Canucks weren't going to give him another shot with them in the NHL.

We lack Grit and more skill throughout our line up. I think this could be the final year of Jake as a Canuck, its too bad he has speed but he is too afraid to go and play a physical game and get into those dirty areas. Take a hit, give out hits cause chaos on the defence when they are going to retrieve the puck...but no that is not what happens.

Would hope they put the boys on the ice today and make em do a full practice...they aren't playing well enough to have time off they need to keep working off the rust and that should mean MORE practices early on imo.

Until Monday...

• Like 1

I believe we are dealing with 2 issues.

First, team chemistry. Toffoli fit in right away but he left. Tanev was a huge loss in the locker room and on the ice. The team felt confident in Marky and played deep, and so far our goaltending has been average at best. We've lost some confidence in each other. I believe this will improve.

Second, coaching and systems. I do like Greener, but there's been something wrong with our systems for years. I can't exactly pinpoint, but they just don't seem defensively effective. Never have. Like last year, we need to find ways to limit the opposition's access to high danger chances.

Not sure why Myers was singled out. He might be overpaid but I felt he had a solid game. In fact, a solid season so far. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Agree, i'm sure he's thrown a few objects frustrated and wanting to be in the line up. especially being healthy and ready go

Really think overall him or Bo are our most valuable players right now (more the Petey or Hughes) so without him it shakes the whole team up.

Yes.  He might not be as skilled as EP and QHs,  but like Horvat he’s the most balanced player on the team - with the added bonus of some more experience and in his peak form.    It’s way too easy to bash on BB, EP and QHs....even JV.   Don’t forget these are babies still and haven’t reached the warrior form yet.   First taste of battle they for sure overachieved over any Canuck in history aside from Linden and Bure.    Watching all the talent in TO fail year after year, and even WNP who is already in yet another transformation with a core who could have killed it .... 

32 teams next year.   Winning a cup is for sure the hardest achievement in professional sports.     

I’m fully prepared for anything from a 3-6 finish for this team.   Anything else would be a surprise either way.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Why? So he could float around like Jake?

Jake's size isn't the reason he floats, and the very implication of the post you quoted was "imagine what a player who doesn't float could do with Jake's size".

• Wat 1