The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

For sure

A lot of people complain about trading Tyler Madden for a rental but they forget that we were in the playoff hunt and Brock went down with an injury.

Jimbo pulled the trigger on that trade to keep us in the playoff race and it ended up in a great learning experience for the boys and great excitement for us fans.

Too many armchair GMs and not enough cheer leaders LOL

I agree, to some degree.

But in order to be cheerleaders we need something to cheer about....last night there wasn't a whole lot.  When you are 0-11 on the pp you tend to wonder (even out loud) why.

I am the biggest homer/cheerleader and that will never change.  But even I see that we need to get a hold of this, quickly, or we're in trouble.  Momentum is a real deal....if you slump in this short season, there's not a lot of time to recover.  

Next game will be a big one in shifting that momentum because losing streaks can really get into player's heads.  I don't believe that this is all this team "is"...they're capable of much more.  They just can't be satisfied with "good enough"...they have to play with some emotion and intensity.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Jake was flying last night.  He just forgot to take the puck with him on most occasions.

A good NHL team needs 3 lines that can score.  With 1 injury we don’t even have a top 6.

If Gaudette and Jake don’t have career years we are in trouble.

Our Defence will be our best asset.  If we can be a top 5 scoring defence in the league that could negate our lack of scoring up front.

Our special teams will not be as bad as they have been so far.

The Canadian division will have no easy games.

My thoughts so far.

Excellent post about needing depth.  We need Gaud and Jake on that third line to have bigger years than last.  I dont think Rous is working on that left side and would prefer Sutter who , say what you will, makes pretty good plays when he has the puck.  

2 minutes ago, Canucks-12 said:

Typical overreactions after 3 games. Give them about 10 games and let’s see where they’re at. 

A pp that's 0-11 warrants a bit of a reaction.

However, you're right in a bigger sample size.  A win or two and this is all forgotten.

Thing is....we're all in a weird "state" this year and COVID means we're cooped up and have a lot of extra time on our hands.  So venting will likely come as part of that...frustration levels are high.   Having hockey back is huge so we should keep that in perspective to some degree.  At least we HAVE games to watch but last night's wasn't much to cheer about.  (Holtby looked good though...I blame him for none of it).

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Boeser doesn't need to drive the line. That's not his role. He shoots the puck and is good at doing it

Ummmm name one elite goal scorer that isn't a line driver? And I meant Jake can be put with Sutter and is still a threat unlike like brock.  Also might add those two goals he got against the Oilers could be considered lucky at least the one where Hughes found him behind the defence while sitting on his rear and if that would have went the other way then brock cheated and got burned and doesn't have the speed to catch up to the play..... brock has been cherry picking imo 

• Wat 1

Pettersson was terrible, for him. Demko will have to be unbelievable, or else that'll be their season. Goaltending isn't as good this year. D doesn't look improved. Jake is still Jake. Big game tomorrow night. They better not give him 2 shutouts.   

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

still a threat unlike like brock.  Also might add those two goals he got against the Oilers could be considered lucky at least the one where Hughes found him behind the defence while sitting on his rear and if that would have went the other way then brock cheated and got burned and doesn't have the speed to catch up to the play..... brock has been cherry picking imo 

I agree with none of this.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Could say the same about brock...... if brock is a legit line driver then Petey and him should be able to carry Jake , just look at how good Jake looked with Miller and petey...

Hate on Jake but brock and Jake both benifit from playing with Miller and petey but at least Jake has shown he can drive a line once in awhile , still waiting to see that from brock........ brock and Jake are the same element on that line...... 

where were you in the first game. Brock was the best player on the ice, even last night Brock   was good. yes we miss Miller and yes Jake played ok for a few games last year with Miller and Petey, but he couldn't keep up more than a few games. before Miller came , Brock and Petey were good on there own. Jake belongs on the 3rd line , he does play well there. 

Edited by bree2
  • Like 1

the last 2 games the special teams have been the difference.  The urgency hasn't been there.

PP 0/9

PK 5/10

The PP is bad but it's not the most alarming special teams statistic.  Our PK is dreadful.  

Maybe it's just a case of too many new faces over the course of a very short period of time.   

I don’t think it’s over-reacting to be concerned 3 games into a shortened season but let’s remember that with COVID a lot can change in a hurry for any team. One positive (or false positive) test could significantly alter the season for anybody. A bad or slow start might not be as big a deal as we imagine.

1 minute ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

According to last seasons stats.  3 games is not a season.

Last season’s stats didn’t write the post though. You did. 

Brown should be under the microscope, as should Baumgartner. With the personnel on the 1st power play, there should be at least one goal in the last 11 PP.  I don’t believe Miller’s absence is the only reason it’s not performing. 

19 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

the last 2 games the special teams have been the difference.  The urgency hasn't been there.

PP 0/9

PK 5/10

The PP is bad but it's not the most alarming special teams statistic.  Our PK is dreadful.  

Maybe it's just a case of too many new faces over the course of a very short period of time.   

The first game we also went 0-2 on the pp.  We're now at 0-11 which is cause for concern.  Have to address this before it becomes "a thing".

JT can't get back quick enough.....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Last season’s stats didn’t write the post though. You did. 

Brown should be under the microscope, as should Baumgartner. With the personnel on the 1st power play, there should be at least one goal in the last 11 PP.  I don’t believe Miller’s absence is the only reason it’s not performing. 

Lol!  According to you.