Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

According to last seasons stats.  3 games is not a season.

So... are you referring to the fact our PP stats were heavily padded by "3 games" last season Or the fact that this season is not last season?

 

Trick question. Both are true.

  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it’s good to get these no show games over with. But with all division games all season in a shortened schedule, the players know full well that this can’t happen all too often this season. If they have playoff admirations the “off” games have to be limited. Hope we can get the split tomorrow night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We will be fine....

 

Petey needs a stiffer stick...

 

Juolevi is doing just fine...

 

Demko will be better

 

Mac or Roster should be on Petey's line until Milsy is back

 

Lets' give Rafferty or Rathbone a shot at it soon...

Iv'e been saying since training camp Rathbone should be on the team.  We need his mobility back there.  I's consider having 7 defencemen and 11 forwards just to have him in the lineup.  We don't need both Sutter and Beagle.  Pick 1 Green. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We will be fine....

 

Petey needs a stiffer stick...

 

Juolevi is doing just fine...

 

Demko will be better

 

Mac or Roster should be on Petey's line until Milsy is back

 

Lets' give Rafferty or Rathbone a shot at it soon...

Im easing myself over to this side.  Coffee, a little sunshine and a damn good workout does wonders.

 

Go Canucks Go...let's fix this and put it in the forgotten category.

 

Small sample size that's alarming, but deep breaths and look toward tomorrow.  :towel:   I can't dump on my team for long...it doesn't feel right.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too worried, Miller will help a lot when he's back. Putting Hoglander on the first line facing McDavid as a 20yr old rookie is quite the tough assignment. He has the tools, he'll do fine and so will Juolevi. They were dropped in the deep end, expect steady improvement. I still think loosing Madden for a short term asset will bite us. He's the prototype two-way forward for the up tempo NHL.  But we have to deal with it. I'm impressed that Calgary could take on Markstrom's salary along with Tanev's, and still keep their core roster. It makes me wonder if we're mishandling salaries. This is a short season, we need to get Miller back fast.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Im easing myself over to this side.  Coffee, a little sunshine and a damn good workout does wonders.

 

Go Canucks Go...let's fix this and put it in the forgotten category.

 

Small sample size that's alarming, but deep breaths and look toward tomorrow.  :towel:   I can't dump on my team for long...it doesn't feel right.

It's definitely not a good result any Canuck fan wanted, but it's early and it could be worse. Let's look on the bright side, St.Louis got smoked by Colorado 8-0 the other night.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BarnBurner said:

It's definitely not a good result any Canuck fan wanted, but it's early and it could be worse. Let's look on the bright side, St.Louis got smoked by Colorado 8-0 the other night.

Yup and the penguins with crosby and Malkin could go 0 for 3 today 

 

Its cause we got shutout though, its one thing to lose but getting shut out sucks.

 

Pettersson is off to a quiet start 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 10pavelbure96 said:

Yup and the penguins with crosby and Malkin could go 0 for 3 today 

 

Its cause we got shutout though, its one thing to lose but getting shut out sucks.

 

Pettersson is off to a quiet start 

That's a big part of it...didn't even get A goal to celebrate.  We feel it more when that's the case.  No celebrations at all to take the edge off.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad someone captured this.  THIS was the play where I slammed Myers in here (not long afterward he did put in a better effort).

 

This one, however, is not acceptable.  So lackadaisy....no urgency at all.  Like him, but at times he's glaring in a bad way to me and this was an example of that...lazy play.  Hustle back.   SKATE...don't just give up on the play.

 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, clutesi said:

I'm not too worried, Miller will help a lot when he's back. Putting Hoglander on the first line facing McDavid as a 20yr old rookie is quite the tough assignment. He has the tools, he'll do fine and so will Juolevi. They were dropped in the deep end, expect steady improvement. I still think loosing Madden for a short term asset will bite us. He's the prototype two-way forward for the up tempo NHL.  But we have to deal with it. I'm impressed that Calgary could take on Markstrom's salary along with Tanev's, and still keep their core roster. It makes me wonder if we're mishandling salaries. This is a short season, we need to get Miller back fast.

Calgary got lucky with the timing of the covid cap crunch.

They had

Brodie 4.65

Frolik 4.3 million

Hamonic 3.85

Talbot 2.75

expiring at an opportune time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In two years the Canucks will be much further ahead and entering their time.

 

Petey Boes Hughes Juolevi Podkolzin Hoglander Demko  Gaud Motte Mac Rathbone will all be two years older and will all be better players than they are today.

 

Horvat will be a better captain in 2 years.  Miller will be 29 Myers and Schmidt around 31.  Those will be the vets.  The dead weight will all be gone allowing us to add a top UFA or two.

 

This year and even next are going to have ups and downs.  But this group is going to arrive in about 2 years time. If the young guys continue to get better and the team can hang around .500 and sneak into the playoffs it would be a successful season.  Expecting to win the division and the cup this year is a set up.

 

Two years..

 

 

 

 

 

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see the compete. Is Miller the only one capable of dragging this team into the fight? The Canucks were out-scored, out-shot, out-hit, out-special teamed etc. Is Pettersson already playing hurt or what else is going on? Poor Hoglander must feel he's all of the offence. Only guy who will sacrifice himself by driving the net and fighting for pucks along the boards. Maybe Miller should Zoom the team before the game to give an intense pep talk :picard:

 

Okay, maybe it'll take time for Hamonic and Schmidt to get comfortable, but they don't have time for that. Every game is an important divisional game. If they lose too many early, it'll be very difficult to gain ground later.

 

I'm not sure what the answer is, but Benning let the team MVP goalie walk, so Demko better be great. He should be the starter, and Jim needs to live with that. Holtby's best days are behind him, he should be the backup. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:
6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And if they don’t? 

They will just sound uneducated.

You know folks should not be blaming people at random.

 

this was always going to be a tough season, not since Tortorella's year will the team be so limited in practice and game density. There will be limited practice time and the practices will not be very hard with so little time between games, Torts used to rest the players and he got more out of them.

 

People dislike Virtanen, Eriksson, think Sutter, Beagle and Rousell are paid too much, want the team to buyout Baerstchi and Eriksson, Ferland ended up a wasteland, unhappy because Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli were not resigned. Want to blame Brown for a lack lustre PP and complain about a poor PK when Edler is a year older and slower, no Tanev, Hamonic just isn't Tanev so a backstep there and Holtby and Demko haven't lived up to Markstrom yet.

 

So in summation, t folks complain and blame, draft picks (Virtanen/Juloevi),bad contracts, poor performance by FA's, no capspace to sign more players, coaches that can only coach what they are given.

 

So players, contracts, draft picks, coaches, refs, and bad luck are all blamed

 

And in some cases have lowered their expectations so low that a chance, fluke all in effort for a playoff chance is sufficient to satisfy them, regardless of the cost.

Some look around and still deny that other teams are improving faster and some of the improvement on this team comes from other teams in decline

 

Aim low avoid disappoinment

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm glad someone captured this.  THIS was the play where I slammed Myers in here (not long afterward he did put in a better effort).

 

This one, however, is not acceptable.  So lackadaisy....no urgency at all.  Like him, but at times he's glaring in a bad way to me and this was an example of that...lazy play.  Hustle back.   SKATE...don't just give up on the play.

 

Unacceptable effort from Myers, or anyone on our team. They need to be more engaged and that starts with taking the body. It always has been that way. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

Guess he saw the SOS flares.  Thank God because he's much needed!!!

 

Help is on the way, boys.  Although this still highlights the need to make sure everyone is ok if someone's not.  This season will likely include a lot of missing pieces so the rest have to be able to pick up the slack.   Was maybe good to be tested on this early...to show the impact and how work still needs to be done.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...