The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

D avg Icetime after 2 games

Hughes - 23:34

Edler - 23:05

Schmidt - 21:03

Myers - 18:21

Hamonic - 18:11

Juolevi  - 10:48

FWD's

Horvat 19:38

Petey 19:20

Hogz 19:04

Boeser 18:48

Pearson 16:47

Motte 16:38

Sutter 15:11

Beagle 13:15

Virtanen 13:07

Roussel 9:57

Gaudette 8:52

MacEwen 7:21

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

What’s the over under on Markstrom letting a weak shot in within the:

First shot on net 

First three minutes of the game

Last few minutes of the game 

What’s the over under on Tanev:

Breaking something important blocking an BB/EP blast

Sucks seeing them play with a different uniform on, but now that they are the enemy expose them weaknesses! 

Man those 3 things are what come to mind along with his tendency to be a bit weak mentally on the ice? Tho in fairness he improved the first goal habit a bit last season.

Not hating on Marky but I think Petey explodes tonight. He loves playing the Flames and I think he kills tonight.

17 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Switching Jake back to the right wing might be the best thing right now. Hopefully it works out for tonight anyway 

14 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Quite a surpise to see Gaudette centering the 3rd line. Expected Sudsy as center of the third line.

I suggested this as well. Motte/Sutter/Jake line had chemistry pre-season and makes sense and is a line that after all of the line juggling last game, was never attempted. Gaud can help Petey with faceoffs too.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's been a disappointment no doubt. He seemed way better last year. What I'm more concerned with is Petey. Now yes it's early, and yes he didn't have preseason. 

And it could be that the opposition is focusing on him very carefully now. But 1 point in 2 games is very unPetey like. The elements are there, its his timing and his shot is rusty.

More worrying is normally he as insanely good anticipation. I haven't seen that. Hopefully it's just rust, and he gets into the groove soon. He's still a phenomenal player.

One thing about Zack he's probably not going to be good against the faster teams. But in the more physical games he does shine. In the end maybe hold judgement until games 4 or 5? 

I think Petey misses JT but overall I'm not to worried since even tho he hasn't dominated an centimetre lower he doesn't hit the post on the PP and he's a ppg and not even at his standards yet. Plus the Oilers have his number for some reason.

I kind of wish Lind or Jace were available, with JT out it would have been nice to see what they could do in place of Zac or perhaps even AG.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Funny thing - once Miller is back the dominoes will fall and our middle/bottom six gets better.   The first game our fourth line had just as many quality chances as our top line did.   Didn’t Motte score a goal the second game?  

Yup that one thing it's not just getting JT back but it makes our bottom six better with Jake over Zac, I hope we get a chance to see Jayce, he was really good in Ottawa and just my preference but I prefer his style and Sutter for a 3c role.

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

It's great that you think the team is that close being finished for a cup run.

Right now the team is suffering and the media is panicking from the lack of another top six player. And there isn't more than a one player issue.

Miller is out but will be back, so what happens when Boeser, Pearson, Horvat or Petey goes down, or two of them? What if Edler and Myers or any one of the other 4 guys gets hurt?

This team has no room for anything less than 100% attendance and no possibility to trade for more depth due to no cap space.

This year could be Green's best year coaching yet, he may have to run through 3 different systems with little practice. Surely they are looking to go back to using a rover again, it might be another couple of games yet. A rover makes up for a lack of top six skill because it is a defenceman adding into the offence, (essentially 4 forwards and one defencman) it puts more pressure on the other defenceman (used to be Tanev, now Hamonic) and the goaltender. Vegas figured out how to neutralize that system but it should work in the short term.

As far as depth in the bottom six, Calgary could be a good measure or not.

Hey it hockey and so far there should be no panic, as long as the team's can stay within 5 points of each other the February 15th date is still prominent.

Hate to say it but Calgary wins, Tkachuk is the difference one way or the other. They have the advantage of Tanev, Leivo and Markstrom practicing against them on the PP so they could have a leg up on the PK.

No team can suffer that much harm - with the exception  TB.    Never said we are that close to a cup run - that said who picked NYI for the conference final last year?  Zero - or nobody.   My point is we aren’t much different then most teams that are contending for a playoff run.   At this point we are competitive enough to make the playoffs, and, like I said, we’ve already surpassed all but three teams in our entire history, and it was their first time out.    The only team I’ve watched that could do that so far was the Linden team’s, starting off the hop in 89 giving one of the most stacked teams in history a run for their money.    Otto kicked it in.    A lot of folks grew up watching the WCE teams on this site - and those were some killer teams - still these kids made a mockery of their runs already and Naslund was 27 his break out year, pretty much the same with the Sedins. 

Im ok with another down year, but don’t think management, the coaching staff, or the players are.   They will be playing for keeps this year and might as well enjoy it - we aren’t much different then most teams in our division - or the league for that matter, with one key point - our core is just getting started.    For sure like the 89 team, we are a blend that’s about to change into something else.  I don’t have the same pessimism as you do, and that’s ok, and as a long time fan believe me when I understand.  Let’s just enjoy the process.  It is one.   26-30 is usually the peak years for most athletes, Miller and Horvat are the only core players in that range.    The best for sure is yet to come. 

As an aside never bought into the JB hate early on.   Extremely difficult place to be - without the clubs drafting for sure he’d be a goner.   Fun to watch the media paraphrased game one “ looks like they’ve done it again with Hoglander”...  there is absolutely nothing wrong with being optimistic about this club.   It’s best players are young, there is still more in the pipe, and in two years when they will still be below the contending threshold, all the cap sheds. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

COME ON JAKE.  

Given this opportunity to shine, sure hope he does.  I'm so tired of it all...it's becoming a bit of a distraction for sure.  Just do it.

I'm calling the top line the Blood Pressure line until Miller returns...at which point it's the Beats Per Minute lotto line.

BOESER-PETEY-?