The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Ex-Canucks | January 16 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, TVAS2, NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

Lots of talk about Jakes unimpressive starting the 1st line.

I don't really think its lack of effort rather then being lost in his role with 2 elite forwards. Jake can be a dominant forward  playing a simple game. Petey and Brock are not those players. Jake had a good camp, drove hard to the net and showed that he wants to shake his reputation of inconsistency but that needs to be in a role hat supports his game which at best on the 2nd line.

So what does that leave the team

Bo would be the best forward that we have to make this a real threat but that's loading up to much and making it an easy shutdown for opposing teams.

Hoglander has the skill level but would really hurt them overall defensively and he has gelled well on the 2nd line with 2 strong 200' forwards.

Pearson could be the best option bringing some size , decent board control and enough hockey IQ to help the line on both ends of the ice, but why breakup the 2nd line that has really connected and again been our best line so far.

Although I thought Gaudette would be a decent option that really hurts our offense on the 3rd line if Sutter has to slot in.

Sutter beagle an Motte make a great shutdown line most of the time and they all work their role pretty well albeit overpaid.

That leaves Roussel as the best 1st line option IMO

He has the energy , speed and defensive awareness to support the first line while keeping our other lines relatively intact. He also has shown a decent hockey IQ especially before he was injured early in his Canucks days.

Mac or Loui would slot in on the 3rd line. If Mac doesn't give us an aggressive forecheck, sticking up for his mates and some offense, then we are left with Loui who has probably played his best hockey for the Canucks on the 3rd line.

Flame away !

No pun intended considering who we're playing tonite :bigblush:

Good teams don’t play 4th liners like Rousell on the 1st line.  
That shows a huge lack of depth.   
we can do better than that

21 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That’s all well and good but her voice is the part we have to listen to. I like her from her playing days and respect her career. However her voice is nails on a chalkboard for me. My opinion (which I feel I should mention is not tainted by sexism before someone inevitably accuses me of it). I’m sure there are lots of worthy candidates with all the right knowledge and acumen, but if you don’t have the voice for it that’s kindof a dealbreaker. 

I don't have a problem with you not liking her voice.

And no one called you 'sexist' for it.

I'm simply stating my/the counterpoints.  

I intentionally did not quote or engage with particular opinions on the matter - because there is no 'objectivity' when it comes to preferences like this - no one is 'right' or 'wrong'. 

For me I don't judge her voice anymore than I judge the sound of many of her peers (I honestly can't stand the sound of a number of them) - but moreso, I have little regard for the content that comes out of their mouths.   A person can't change their voice - but they sure as hell have 'subjectivity' / perspective - and the ability to effect the quality of their content.

For me - she's a pro - and a huge upgrade relative to some of the idiots that have departed.  I'm certain that not a single ex-NHLer in those positions is there because he's blessed with a radio voice.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Jake needs to play with some jam if he wants to stay on that line.....

Jake is the best option they have in present circumstances.

People need to accept that or propose a better alternative.  So far there have been literally none.  Motte is probably comparable - but who is 'better' there is debatable.

No placeholding winger there is going to replace Miller, period. 

And not many teams have top line centers to pull out of taxi squads....so....

Much ado / much noise - about nothing.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't have a problem with you not liking her voice.

And no one called you 'sexist' for it.

I'm simply stating my/the counterpoints.  

I intentionally did not quote or engage with particular opinions on the matter - because there is no 'objectivity' when it comes to preferences like this - no one is 'right' or 'wrong'. 

For me I don't judge her voice anymore than I judge the sound of many of her peers (I honestly can't stand the sound of a number of them) - but moreso, I have little regard for the content that comes out of their mouths.   A person can't change their voice - but they sure as hell have 'subjectivity' / perspective - and the ability to effect the quality of their content.

For me - she's a pro - and a huge upgrade relative to some of the idiots that have departed.  I'm certain that not a single ex-NHLer in those positions is there because he's blessed with a radio voice.

Fair enough. To each their own. I do not doubt her hockey knowledge in the slightest and I agree that there are many others in broadcasting that I would rather not hear from as well for various reasons.

As far as the sexism goes, I just figured I’d get ahead of it since so many feel the need to look for a nefarious reason for one not liking something these days. 

I’ll leave it at that lest I be accused of negativity in the GDT. Either way I will enjoy the game tonight and will be cheering for the W. 

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

37 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That’s all well and good but her voice is the part we have to listen to. I like her from her playing days and respect her career. However her voice is nails on a chalkboard for me. My opinion (which I feel I should mention is not tainted by sexism before someone inevitably accuses me of it). I’m sure there are lots of worthy candidates with all the right knowledge and acumen, but if you don’t have the voice for it that’s kindof a dealbreaker. 

she sucks, sportsnet to hire Jessican Mendoza or Doris burke

image.png.2222ee039048ac7fbaae7b82ce6f7d29.png

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

COME ON JAKE.  

Given this opportunity to shine, sure hope he does.  I'm so tired of it all...it's becoming a bit of a distraction for sure.  Just do it.

I'm calling the top line the Blood Pressure line until Miller returns...at which point it's the Beats Per Minute lotto line.

BOESER-PETEY-?

At some point I'd like to see Roussel with Petey and Miller. Just so we'd have an RPM line!

COME ON JAKE.  

Given this opportunity to shine, sure hope he does.  I'm so tired of it all...it's becoming a bit of a distraction for sure.  Just do it.

I'm calling the top line the Blood Pressure line until Miller returns...at which point it's the Beats Per Minute lotto line.

BOESER-PETEY-?

Best Possible Jigsaw?

edit: Best possible Ruse might be apropos(AR for a few). Jake the snake only seems to strike with venom, when he's been forgotten(buried on depth lines).

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

COME ON JAKE.  

BOESER-PETEY-?

That's a great name for a line. Lind, maybe in a year or so? 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Fair enough. To each their own. I do not doubt her hockey knowledge in the slightest and I agree that there are many others in broadcasting that I would rather not hear from as well for various reasons.

As far as the sexism goes, I just figured I’d get ahead of it since so many feel the need to look for a nefarious reason for one not liking something these days. 

I’ll leave it at that lest I be accused of negativity in the GDT. Either way I will enjoy the game tonight and will be cheering for the W. 

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

Sad state of affairs when we all must child-proof an opinion with layers of bubble-wrap! :^(

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Good teams don’t play 4th liners like Rousell on the 1st line.  
That shows a huge lack of depth.   
we can do better than that

The obvious counter to such argument is Burrows, many moons ago. Chemistry can be a funny, unpredictable animal.

I gotta feelin' it might surprise...

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1