Sign in to follow this  
SNuck

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was it PO's I've seen him out? Seems to recall him battling concussions(?)..or is this old poster's memory bound for the IR?! Thanks for that info. End of the day, we all gotta see the big picture, appreciating the (virtually free) price we paid to obtain a few exp'd vets.

Looks like he played all of their PO games last year. I'm glad all we paid was a 3rd for Schmidt, but it seems like we were going to either get a bargain for OEL or we don't make a deal. We didn't, so I don't think there was going to be a chance that we would've overpaid. With that said, I think OEL is a better overall dman than Schmidt (OEL = #1 dman, Schmidt = top pairing guy). Just the value cost in a trade is probably much better with Schmidt in this case.

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Miller is playing, right?

Yep, Green expects that Miller will play quite a bit tonight. 

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the flow in this game is better. The leafs are playing their 4th game and they look much better then they have.

Man the Isles are such a boring team to watch. Varly looks in form tho.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Looks like he played all of their PO games last year. I'm glad all we paid was a 3rd for Schmidt, but it seems like we were going to either get a bargain for OEL or we don't make a deal. We didn't, so I don't think there was going to be a chance that we would've overpaid. With that said, I think OEL is a better overall dman than Schmidt (OEL = #1 dman, Schmidt = top pairing guy). Just the value cost in a trade is probably much better with Schmidt in this case.

OEL is a stud but your right about the cost acquisition.

Nate has really impressed me tho and love his attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

OEL is a stud but your right about the cost acquisition.

Nate has really impressed me tho and love his attitude.

There was a point last game where jake was carrying the puck into the flames end along the boards but had no where to go and schmidt was skating in behind him open and he started whooping and I’m like Jake! The whoop ! 
 

long story short I’m pretty certain jake ignored it and he ended losing the puck 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Looks like he played all of their PO games last year. I'm glad all we paid was a 3rd for Schmidt, but it seems like we were going to either get a bargain for OEL or we don't make a deal. We didn't, so I don't think there was going to be a chance that we would've overpaid. With that said, I think OEL is a better overall dman than Schmidt (OEL = #1 dman, Schmidt = top pairing guy). Just the value cost in a trade is probably much better with Schmidt in this case.

With Schmidt you also avoid the 6th and 7th years of term at 8.25 (and a NMC) - when OEL will be 35, 36 years old....(and save 2.3 million in cap every season in the meantime...)

 

5 x 5.95

vs

7 x 8.25

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, @-Vintage Canuck-, I was thinking about your alphabet soup good luck charm post. Maybe it doesn't work the way you think?

 

Maybe it only works as a toggle to the current streak and posting it in the win streak brought on a loss? Since we lost the last one, I think you should post it.  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not to nitpick, but Myers is 6'8" and 230 lbs. And Edler is a pretty big player at 6'3" and 215, who hits with force. 

I do agree with the point overall. The team needs to play with much more of a physical edge. They have enough players, as you've pointed out in your post, who are capable of doing so, but for some reason, are being routinely outworked and outmuscled. 

Coaching... maybe part of that problem. Sometimes the team just doesn’t show up ready to do the work. When they do they usually win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Miller is the kick in the pants Pettersson needs to get going. 

 

PP and PK need to be way better. 

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skategal said:

This one made me burst out laughing! 

 

 

 

That is priceless.

 

And (posted  this before, but maybe worth repeating)....

 

NHL games experience:

 

Pettersson 141

Boeser 199

Hoglander 2

Gaudette 122

MacEwen 23

Motte 189

Hughes 75

Juolevi 2

Demko 38

 

So looks like there's room for about 1 more on JT's back.

Anyhow - that's a pretty significant list / amount of youth / reasons to be patient with the team (ie when they're inconsistent) - or have dry spells on the powerplay (they all go through dry spells and streaks - but this group is exceptionally talented and has all the elements, so no need to fret imo)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miller really is essentially a second captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That is priceless.

 

And (posted  this before, but maybe worth repeating)....

 

NHL games experience:

 

Pettersson 141

Boeser 199

Hoglander 2

Gaudette 122

MacEwen 23

Motte 189

Hughes 75

Juolevi 2

Demko 38

 

So looks like there's room for about 1 more on JT's back.

Anyhow - that's a pretty significant list / amount of youth / reasons to be patient with the team (ie when they're inconsistent) - or have dry spells on the powerplay (they all go through dry spells and streaks - but this group is exceptionally talented and has all the elements, so no need to fret imo)....

Maybe so but that doesn't explain how poor our PK has been when it's mostly vets on those units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not to nitpick, but Myers is 6'8" and 230 lbs. And Edler is a pretty big player at 6'3" and 215, who hits with force. 

I do agree with the point overall. The team needs to play with much more of a physical edge. They have enough players, as you've pointed out in your post, who are capable of doing so, but for some reason, are being routinely outworked and outmuscled. 

They have lacked some intensity  the last couple games.

 

While they have a handful of players with a half dozen or handful of hits (6/5) - Beagle, Motte, MacEwen, and Edler - most people would probably not anticipate that the last guy in the group would be Boeser. 

 

Point isn't necessarily to single out any particular player - they (probably) need to be more aggressive overall as a group throughout the lineup - but Roussel with a pair of hits through 3 games, Horvat 2,  Hamonic 1....maybe the types of players the team needs more 'heaviness' from.

 

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Maybe so but that doesn't explain how poor our PK has been when it's mostly vets on those units.

There is never really an "explanation" for when a team goes through a streak they would rather not. 

 

The bottom line - the veterans like Edler, Beagle, Hamonic, Sutter, Schmidt, Roussel - who have lead the team in penalty klling minutes - are all long term PROVEN very good penalty killers - and we are talking about tiny samples here (ie where a few goals makes a HUGE difference / impression - ie 2/10 as opposed to 4/10 = and no one is talking about it) - overlapping with / amplified by the powerplay not producing anything.

Two game sample = relatively meaningless.

People micro-dwelling on a game or two lose sight of the fact that this happens regularly - to any team.

The veterans are of no concern.

And the young, talented powerplay guys - will get theirs.

There really is no point fishbowling it - getting anxious over snapshots.

Edited by oldnews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Let's see if you're right. :) 

 

image.jpeg.65ca2619f90497901ae9c3640985f

Ehhhh, good ol Canadian kids and their alphabet soup. 

You know alphabet soup was around when I was a kid and HEY, you know they don't have alphabet soup in Russia. That's why they don't hit! Gotta spell before you can hit!

I guess Ron never learned how to spell.. Eh oh!

don-cherry-hockey-night1.thumb.jpeg.75e6077eafcf47389d0e68dc34704ee4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.