The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

It's pretty obvious the upwards of 33 out of 81.5m in wasted cap is really effecting this team. 

Although some can be justified, this is rough to see it play out.

I think we all need to remember our young stars arrived far earlier then expected, 2 years from now we will have a clean slate to truly build around the core.
As hard as it is to admit the over achieving last year has really set unrealistic expectations on this team currently. Although we are better then what we have showed these last 3 games, And probably a #3 or 4 in the north division.. how much can we really expect out of the core with that much anchor in its current state?

We have to just let these contracts play out, no sense paying a premium to remove them when the initial timeline was 1 to 2 years from now to really start our build around the core. If these kids can pan out, alot of good, talented role players are in the wings over those next few years. Not to mention an absolute bulldog in podz.

Now we have to think too, Last year was a career year for alot of guys, Factor in a flat cap for the next few years... would a semi " down " year really be the worst thing?
I mean getting petey and hughes on fair dollar bridge deals would do wonders. As we are seeing these currently are not the 8m+ dollar players a large number of people seem to think. We are safe to see them closer to boeser money IMO.

Thats not to knock on them, it took mackinnon a couple of years to reach the level he's at. Petey is just not a game in and game out play driver just yet. However an argument could be made about hughes being one from the back end.

We cant trade half the team, but we can replace some of our coaching staff if the wheels continue to fall off. Obviously every year almost every team goes through a stretch like this, no need to throw the towel in.. things will turn around. The thing we need to be concerned about is this effort level when times get tough. The lack of discipline penalties when down a couple goals is IMO a sign of poor leadership. Looking at you coaching staff.

If im JB, i look to improve on the assistant coaches first. Newell has too much damn talent to be using such a static powerplay, and dont get me started on this collapse the net PK which gives them any looks they want. We have always struggled to defend against aggressive PK when on the PP, yet we can't do that back?? I just dont get it.

We have two very good goalies, its OK to trust them to make a save, getting out of position to collapse the net just makes us screen our own goalie or deflect it in our own net!
That is baumers game plan though, it has not and will not work. maybe in the AHL but not in the NHL.

When it comes to travis, He is obviously a good players coach. Well spoken. He's been growing with the group long enough, and given enough praise throughout the nhl to be giving a shot with some quality assistants for once. We need to stop treating everyone in this organization as a "Family", worried about hurting feelings, and act more like a business based on results. This is my take on things anyways.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Did Green actually say they kicked themselves in the foot? What the hell does that mean? Who kicks one foot with the other? What the wha?

Yah, he could have added that the players gave it 110% effort in the first period.....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

This would actually be a good year for a bad finish and high draft pick. I felt like this may have been managements mentality leading to the Schmidt trade. However, the Harmonic signing kind of got me leaning back towards the opposite and now l'm leaning towards a season of lumps and lessons again. No matter how this season plays out, it will always have an asterisk attached to it. 

Milk everything we can out of the Russell/Beagle/Sutter leadership and mentoring potential then move on from those and other bad contracts and move forward with our younger elite core a bit older and ready to play like men. 

This lineup is brutally average or worse beyond our top 5 forwards and top 3 defenders.

We took a big step back losing Tanev and Marky.

Many picked us as last or tied for last in the division.

Many picked us as least improved.

It's going to take a lot for this team to prove them wrong.

Perhaps you have a point - 50+ games of misery versus 82.  Also, this current coaching staff (except for Clark) has a good track record of finishing bottom five and JB has been very good with - most - of those picks despite dropping down a few times..  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

28 minutes ago, b3. said:

This forum is going to grenade when Tkachuk becomes Captain.

Also - OJ kinda played well tonight tbh.

OJ had a horrible game. Let's be honest. He gave the puck away to the other team on missed passes around 6 times tonight. His passing was extremely off tonight. 

I get that we should support the young kids but he played horrendously tonight. Prime Luca Sbisa Pizza Night bad. 

• Wat 1

Just now, Jetliner said:

lol be prepared for losses like these rest of the year and next. until all the crap contracts are gone. and then Benning will sign another 4 $&!#ty contracts. 

yea we screwed for the next 10 years

Well that’s a bit of an overreaction but yes I agree these 3 losses have been rough. This board (including myself) is super bi polar and if Canucks win their next 3 everyone will be slotting us in as cup contenders. I’m concerned but gonna wait until game 10 to judge too harshly.

To Mr. Benning in the near future

Keep

Petey 

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Hogs

Hughes

Schmidt

Motte

Demko

Holtby

TBD

Gaudette

Hamonic

Juolevi

Pearson

Green

Show Door

(The lazy & can't clear the puck group)

Virtanen

Sutter

Beagle

Edler

Macewen

Roussel

Eriksson

Baumer

Brown

Promote

Rafferty

Rathbone

Jasek

Podz

• Cheers 1

I think the team is missing Tanev far more then anyone expected - I could be way off base but there certainly is some dis connect in the room.  Hope they figure it out quick - we don't have the extra 30 games to play catch up.

1 minute ago, Jetliner said:

lol be prepared for losses like these rest of the year and next. until all the crap contracts are gone. and then Benning will sign another 4 $&!#ty contracts. 

yea we screwed for the next 10 years

Lol give it a rest. Christ, the team was a sliver away from the WCF last season. They are on the right track but people need to temper expectations. A setback this season was a reality given the current cap situation. That being said, we are screwed for 10 years? Overreaction much?? The foundation is there now it’s a matter of adding to it. The deadweight contracts will be gone starting this off season. That’s a positive. The core is in their early twenties. It took teams like the Blues and Capitals a lot of years to get over the hump and win the cup with their core. This is not a cup contending roster nor should we expect it to be. Patience it’s a virtue and this club is trending in the right direction. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Well that’s a bit of an overreaction but yes I agree these 3 losses have been rough. This board (including myself) is super bi polar and if Canucks win their next 3 everyone will be slotting us in as cup contenders. I’m concerned but gonna wait until game 10 to judge too harshly.

mikekoziol yes GIF by Bizness Rebels

• Cheers 1