The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

52 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

It was a bad pass 

52 minutes ago, rekker said:

You don't forget how to coach or play in a few months. To me, the team looks gutted. Stetcher, Tanev, Marky, JT all missing from that room to start the year. They look like their gramma just died. They will find there mojo again but it will need to be with this different combination of players. Hopefully with this home stand. 

Stetch, Tanev and Marky... honestly the Nucks lost a ton of their heart there.  Schmidt, Holtby, Hamonic at this point just seem like other teams players.  It will be a while b4 these guys themselves feel like true Canucks.  

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Our roster still has many holes to fill to be a contender in my opinion and have roster spot taken by so called 'veteran players' that don't deserve to be :

Still not 100% sold on to be honest:

Gaudette, Pearson, Myers, Hamonic, Juolevi

Exit:

Virtanen, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, Macewen, Edler, Eriksson

Miller  Petey   Boeser

Hogs  Horvat       x (Podz)

x             x              x

Motte    x              x

→ Jasek?

Hughes Schmidt

x x 

x x

→ Rafferty, Rathbone, Tryamkin?

Demko

Holtby

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I am sure glad we got that playoff experience and now know how to win and no longer need any draft picks or future help because of the loaded talent we have :P

It is still early but they better pull it together soon in a shortened season, especially with a full team at the moment

The team does not look focused or confident with the puck or following a system ?

Maybe in the Spring my rose colored glasses will be blooming

Whats this teams identity this yr?  Last year they burst out the gate with a play heavy philosphy.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

They've been playing the exact same way since Petterson's rookie year. Every team in the league knows how to beat them. Greener and staff seem unable to come up with anything else. How many  stretch passes did they attempt tonight? 50? How many worked? 0?  It might be time to start leaving the zone with puck support because sending the forwards up to the opposing blue line when your D man gets the puck just isn't working. It's been 4 years and it still isnt working. Time to try something new. 

They should consult Schmidt about there system in Vegas.  Maybe end up with a version of that system - I am probably expecting too: THE KEY TO HAPPINESS FOR A CANUCK FAN IS LOWER EXPECTION...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, whcanuck said:

A 2-8 start could cause a coaching change. Remember the year the Devils fired Robbie Ftorek near the end of the regular season and replaced him with Larry Robinson? Ended up winning Stanley

Not sure they'll make a change that quick but it would not surprise me if this is a very much "wait and see" approach with Greens contract extension and why he hasn't been re-signed. After making it 1 game from the conference finals missing the playoffs is not acceptable and ownership won't stand for it. IF we are out of it with 10-15 games then a coaching change may happen so the new coach can evaluate the team for next season and evaluate potential assistants because I can't see any reason why Brown, Baumgartner would be retained.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

They should consult Schmidt about there system in Vegas.

Vegas system is very quick crisp with long passes alas to Tuch which neutralize forechecks in an instant. But you need players that can make and recieve that pass. And would not be possible if our forwards collapse low under our current system.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Then that speaks poorly of the Nucks. Certainly tanev and Marky have stepped into their new roles with calgary well.  That veteran d men coming here struggle so much to learn our d system makes me think Baumgartner is the reason our d zone coverage and breakouts suck donkey balls. 

Baumer was never a good d man just an ahler and mediocre. Would never want him running our system.

5 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Not sure they'll make a change that quick but it would not surprise me if this is a very much "wait and see" approach with Greens contract extension and why he hasn't been re-signed. After making it 1 game from the conference finals missing the playoffs is not acceptable and ownership won't stand for it. IF we are out of it with 10-15 games then a coaching change may happen so the new coach can evaluate the team for next season and evaluate potential assistants because I can't see any reason why Brown, Baumgartner would be retained.

I would never want my team to lose on purpose but if that what its going to take to get this team to the next level then I am all for it. People worry about this player or that coach and get attached to them but this is a business and it is in the business to win.