The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Myers had a good game — showed up with his effort and was rewarded with a good bounce for that shorthanded goal. Best moment of the game was the glove punch to Tkachuk and the hit on Giordano just before our last powerplay. Strong start to the season for him.

As much as our special teams needs to be better, the whole effort level and gameplan needs to be better too. Not getting clean breakouts, lots of dump and chase, not leveraging the extra bodies on the taxi squad to have our bottom 6 play more physical. And then there’s the abysmal powerplay. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We started slow during the season we went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2011. The record in our first four regular season games during that season is actually identical to what it's this season, where at that time, we also had only one win in our first four games. Although, that team was definitely better and were considered the favourites to win, but I thought I would bring a little bit of hope and positivity to this thread that it's still a bit early to say that we will likely finish near the bottom of our division. If we can string a few wins and get out of this losing streak, I think we can definitely turn things around and bring some confidence within the group.

If not for Markstrom, I think we take this game.  Much like Markstrom bailed out the team a number of times last season.  This isn't a knock on our goaltending; just that Markstrom (my opinion) held the fort long enough for the Lames.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We started slow during the season we went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2011. The record in our first four regular season games during that season is actually identical to what it's this season, where at that time, we also had only one win in our first four games. Although, that team was definitely better and were considered the favourites to win, but I thought I would bring a little bit of hope and positivity to this thread that it's still a bit early to say that we will likely finish near the bottom of our division. If we can string a few wins and get out of this losing streak, I think we can definitely turn things around and bring some confidence within the group.

Agreed, Vintage.

The season is very young and the panic ensuing isnt yet meritted. There are way too many intangibles with this season. Covid, short-camp, new faces, no pre-season. If we go 1-5 to 2-7, then yes, PANIC. At that point there's a problem, but the boys are still we'll in it here. 

At the end of the day, I think the North division will come right down to the wire. There might be 10 points separating first place to last IMO. Who makes the playoffs will come down to the last game of the season.

So my take is... we are going to lose more games than were used to. If we can be 5 or 6 games above .500 to end the year I think we will be in the playoffs.

Edited by Maginator
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The difference has really been special teams thus-far. And that's despite the fact we haven't played great 5 on 5 the majority of the games either.

If PP was clicking - and PK did better. I think we'd have had atleast one of these last few games, and things don't look so bad.

Its hard watching the games to remove the emotion, and I'm as guilty as anyone, but if they can turn special teams around the result will start to look different. 

• Cheers 1

Last few seasons we have traditionally started strong which has played a major role in our fight for the post season...a bit worrisome what we are experiencing. Kinda sorta not really worried, if I recall, even Tampa had some off years while building. This might not be our year, and if there was a year to be "off" this would be it...

Calgary might be the real deal, and if they are I just threw up in my mouth. Ughh

I dunno, the excuse that "we're still learning to play together" seems lazy. Marky and Tanev are new to their teams and they look good in their respective roles. Even Leivo looked good. Anderson immediately made an impact for Montreal. And he was injured most of last season. The team looked good in game one and it didn't look like the same team as last season. This team the last 3 games has looked strikingly similar to last season except no Markstrom to bail us out. And less terrible teams to pad our PP stats on like last season. Petey and Hughes look very rusty, not gonna lie. I know people will lose their cool about this, but I still think Petey needs to add some weight. 176 is okay I guess but players man handle him along the boards. It was so bad he hacked at Monahan cause he was roughing him up. Sedins weren't huge, but they were built like brick houses around 185 pounds. Become the immovable object. He gets pushed around way too easy. Even Hoglander is studier than Petey.

End doom and gloom rant. Here's hoping we turn the ship around. Still early. Got a lot of home games here so lets go and stop the bleeding. I still believe in this team's overall talent to power through.

• Cheers 1

Yeah the boys have just looked “off” the last couple games. Not executing simple plays (losing the handle on the puck, bad passes, fanning on shots, losing edges). They look like they’re skating in cement at times too. We got so used to Markstrom stealing large portions of games for us but those are big pads to fill. Oh well, it’s early. Better days ahead. Hopefully.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I dunno, the excuse that "we're still learning to play together" seems lazy. Marky and Tanev are new to their teams and they look good in their respective roles. Even Leivo looked good. Anderson immediately made an impact for Montreal. And he was injured most of last season. The team looked good in game one and it didn't look like the same team as last season. This team the last 3 games has looked strikingly similar to last season except no Markstrom to bail us out. And less terrible teams to pad our PP stats on like last season. Petey and Hughes look very rusty, not gonna lie. I know people will lose their cool about this, but I still think Petey needs to add some weight. 176 is okay I guess but players man handle him along the boards. It was so bad he hacked at Monahan cause he was roughing him up. Sedins weren't huge, but they were built like brick houses around 185 pounds. Become the immovable object. He gets pushed around way too easy. Even Hoglander is studier than Petey.

End doom and gloom rant. Here's hoping we turn the ship around. Still early. Got a lot of home games here so lets go and stop the bleeding. I still believe in this team's overall talent to power through.

tanev on the flames is fitting in like a glove and that proves just HOW good he is. one of my coworkers was like, well hes hurt all the time, we don't need him and i wanted to throw him in the oven. all the flames needed was a goaltender, ANY goaltender, well, they got one. we couldn't score a whole lot against riddich, we sure as hell aren't scoring much against markstrom this year with tanev in front of him, especially with other guys going to that team who know this team's defensive secrets and how they've been able to pick apart the penalty kill so easily

you'd think coaching staff would like, idk ADJUST losing half our team to the ****ing DIVISIONAL OPPONENT

Edited by Twilight Sparkle
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

To Mr. Benning in the near future

Keep

Petey 

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Hogs

Hughes

Schmidt

Motte

Demko

Holtby

TBD

Gaudette

Hamonic

Juolevi

Pearson

Green

Show Door

(The lazy & can't clear the puck group)

Virtanen

Sutter

Beagle

Edler

Macewen

Roussel

Eriksson

Baumer

Brown

Promote

Rafferty

Rathbone

Jasek

Podz

virtanen was only forward to score  wheres pearson gaudette sutter roussel beagle  petey horvat   motte boeser its their job to score  bunch of no shows  but jake is the problem geezus 

Edited by canuktravella
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

PP is 0% over 4 games.

PK is 66%.

Don't bother full team training, just spend all your energy on our special teams. It has just about single handedly lost us the 3 so far. I don't think our 5 on 5 has been too horrible but we're getting opened up on the PK and shutdown on the PP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

virtanen was only forward to score  wheres pearson gaudette sutter roussel beagle  petey horvat   motte boeser its their job to score  bunch of no shows  but jake is the problem geezus 

Amen re Jake - why don't we look at the guys that did not show up again - the one's you listed.

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

PP is 0% over 4 games.

PK is 66%.

Don't bother full team training, just spend all your energy on our special teams. It has just about single handedly lost us the 3 so far. I don't think our 5 on 5 has been too horrible but we're getting opened up on the PK and shutdown on the PP.

We gave up 7 penalties, 5 of which were entirely undisciplined. The reason we got half those penalties is frustration at not being able to get out of our zone with solid possession. Then we have no neutral zone play where we are able to maintain possession - Green has are guys just dash straight up the ice and run into the defence or get checked by back checking forwards. Our D meanwhile is a million miles behind the play so that we are three on five.  We do not play as a cohesive five man unit in every zone. The Flames maintain possession because they play as a unit.

The McDavids beat us because we don't play as a cohesive unit in the central ice zone.  The job of the forwards is to check parallel to the attacking team, closing off their lane toward the boards, funneling them into a defenceman so that he only has to cover eight feet of width instead of half the width of the ice. We just go straight at the attackers in the neutral zone, which is easy for forwards to turn away from. Taking the lane beside them and closing them toward the boards helps to take away the pass and takes away the attacker's space. It also makes big, physical defencemen a valuable commodity - no greater terror than being a forward being channeled into a funnel with a gorilla waiting at the end of it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Question would be if Gallant would come here.  Schmidt better put on that PR cap if he wants to see playoff hockey this year.   

Side note: this board is probably a two game winning streak away from having a different tone - GCG !

You seriously don’t  see serious flaws in our game?

just bad luck? 

we have been hot garbage. The sooner we admit it the sooner we can address it

are fans supposed to be happy that we were just schooled by arch enemies the last 3 games? 

• Cheers 1