The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

PP is 0% over 4 games.

PK is 66%.

Don't bother full team training, just spend all your energy on our special teams. It has just about single handedly lost us the 3 so far. I don't think our 5 on 5 has been too horrible but we're getting opened up on the PK and shutdown on the PP.

“Penalties and turnovers are a bad combination.”

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Thanks 2

Defense is going to burn out if Baumer/Green only play Juolevi 8 minutes a game. 

Either play him, or sit him for someone else. Playing Edler, Hamonic, and Myers 20+ minutes is not going to be helpful.

Lots of other issues too, but this sticks out. Need all the defensemen to be playing at least 12-14 minutes.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Not based on one game bud

jake played decent since the playoffs hes done more than pearson  beaggle motte gaudette macewen sutter and  roussel  or do you not watch the games  somehow he gets  called lit constantly i find it ridiculous  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We had a horrific 2nd period that cost us the game. And the undisciplined 3rd didn't help.

Up until that point some things I liked;

- Travis Hamonic looks like he's getting better

- Hoglanders awareness is rly impressive. There's things every game with him that standout.

- Demko was pretty good. Game wasn't his fault.

- In the first period Gaudette & Juolevi did some good things

- PP looked better in the 1st period (trainwreck from there)

Demko lost the puck 3 different times and almost handed the flames a freebie.  Hoglander might be our most purely skilled forward.  Like Hamonic a lot. He just needs a few more games to get back to his level.  Top pp needs Boeser off asap.

16 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Defense is going to burn out if Baumer/Green only play Juolevi 8 minutes a game. 

Either play him, or sit him for someone else. Playing Edler, Hamonic, and Myers 20+ minutes is not going to be helpful.

Lots of other issues too, but this sticks out. Need all the defensemen to be playing at least 12-14 minutes.

Yeah they are not gonna last long and you’ll have to play him eventually because of injury. 

So he should aim for a little more longevity. 

At this point he should get some PK time. He hasn’t been deployed there at all and the strengths reported out of Utica were from his PK ability. 

Not gonna know anything till you try TG. Not like things can get worse than 7/21 on the PK. 

48 minutes ago, Canadian said:

agree that OJ needs more than 8 minutes, but if they sat him and played someone else that person would get even less...

8 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Stetch, Tanev and Marky... honestly the Nucks lost a ton of their heart there.  Schmidt, Holtby, Hamonic at this point just seem like other teams players.  It will be a while b4 these guys themselves feel like true Canucks.  

Agreed. And if they isn't bad enough, they are playing two of those players back to back right into the season. Bottom line, they need to move on and figure they it out. 

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Wow, people . Relax and back away from the cliff. This is a young team who are struggling right now. They are all squeezing the sticks a little bit. They came in with high expectations for themselves , probably higher than we have for them. 

They are not clicking as a team, passes are off. Their frustration is showing and that never brings a good result.  I think they will be fine and once they get rolling they will go on a big win streak.  

Yes lets let them play for the fun of the game and maybe award them medals of achievement at the end of the season

fun facts, there are 10 teams in the league younger than we are and we pay to the cap. 

we sucked for 3 straight games (5% of the season) 

so yeah i guess there is nothing to worry about 

I'm not particularly worried 4 games into the season.  The Canucks looked pretty good in the 1st period.  The team has looked in and out of sync with Game 1 being their most complete performance, Games 2 and 3 being pretty lackluster, and Game 4 being a mixed bag that ended poorly.  The team lost a lot of important veterans and while I like the additions, I think it's going to take some time for the team to really gel.  This includes issues like turnovers and penalties since those two things seem to lead to a vicious cycle.

The team has already shown that they can be in sync and that, when they are in sync, they are actually very good at applying relentless pressure with good team speed and skill throughout the lineup.  It is tough to see Petey struggling and frustrating to see the team out of sync, but honestly, I'm not surprised.  All teams have not had the benefit of a pre-season this year and maybe the Canucks just need a bit more time to become a cohesive group.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not sure why Myers is lumped in there, he’s played well. 

Yep.   Play of the night was butt ending MT after he poked Demko’s face area with his stick, hid his stick in his hand and avoided a match penalty (looked like a gloved punch) .... without Myers our D would be in real trouble. 

It’s four games... don’t have much really - the first was fantastic.   The rest a hot bag of garbage.   If EP scored on that 2-0 it could have been an entirely different outcome - same as if the flames didn’t get that .2 second goal before period 2 was over.    

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Wow, people . Relax and back away from the cliff. This is a young team who are struggling right now. They are all squeezing the sticks a little bit. They came in with high expectations for themselves , probably higher than we have for them. 

They are not clicking as a team, passes are off. Their frustration is showing and that never brings a good result.  I think they will be fine and once they get rolling they will go on a big win streak.  

They aren’t showing frustration though. They look dead out there. Few after whistle scrums but they arent shooting, they aren’t hitting, and they aren’t skating. Team looks slow and unmotivated. This is the worst hockey I’ve watched in years and it’s concerning that Green doesn’t have these guys flying out of the gate. This isn’t a year for the team to take a few games to adjust and get their legs moving. It’s either sink or swim and judging by the play the Canucks are in the deep end, especially if they can’t win at home. Habs, Sens and Winnipeg is playing good hockey and the Canucks will get stomped on if they don’t get their $&!# together. I wanna be optimistic but it’s depressing watching them play like this. Maybe they turn it around but this isn’t the season to win 2 lose 5 etc... 

Edited by Wayne Glensky
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canadian said:

Managing OJs minutes is fair ... he won’t be on the team if he can’t earn more minutes so I’m not at all worried about the rest tiring, he will either stick or TG will try Benn or Rafferty instead (and juggle things around).....

Doesn’t help that we end up on the PK 21 times or whatever it is so far, for sure that’s eaten into OJs minutes.    So far he really hasn’t been that noticeable - but in a good way, his extra minutes will come once the coaching staff trusts him.   For those that followed his AHL career, his first year he was great at times, terrible at others - and very prone to gaffs (more so then Edler, Myers, Hughes and the rest of our guys - Schmidt so far hard to tell if he’s included in this group).   TG surely knows this and has shown a propensity to let guys move up the lineup when they are ready.   He’d be doing OJ a confidence disservice if he played him 17-18 minutes and he became a minus magnet.   TG knows what he’s doing.