The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

22 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Given the crap penalty kill i do think loui needs to slot back in 

hughes needs to come off powerplay and Schmidt needs to slot in 

Wouldnt mind Schmidt in for a bit.  Hughes, Petey and Brock need to realize they arent there to play pattycake with their friends.  Split them all up.  As bad as the pp has looked, 5 on 5 has been an embarasaing disaster with these 3.  

Edited by EddieVedder

21 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Given the crap penalty kill i do think loui needs to slot back in 

hughes needs to come off powerplay and Schmidt needs to slot in 

LE will be back soon if it keeps up for sure - which would be unfortunate.   There will be lineup tweaks soon if our home stand starts poorly.    One positive is that our home record got us into the playoffs last year and was pretty good overall.   Last change does make a difference. 

4 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Better coach = more wins

Or ... maybe .. Markstrom = more wins lol.

We won a lot of games we didn’t deserve too last year.   We also lost some we did.    TG is considered a top tier coach in this league already, predicted as the runner up for the Adams heading into this season by NHL.com writers, and THN is also very high on him.    Careful for what you wish for.   Babcock in TO....Quenville in Florida - how did that go or is going so far?    The only coach in the league that I’d be happy to exchange for is Trotz.   Sometimes a coaching change is required,  it’s usually a last ditch effort for a GM...  the team we have right now on paper is mostly unproven potential.   The bar has gone up after our run last year.   JB is playing the long game - part of those risks included a very real possibly of a down year.  Cap wise he made all the right moves this off-season, without Holtby and Schmidt we’d have very little chances of making the playoffs.    The table is set, the ED is looming, and highly doubt TG is going anywhere soon, even if we end up missing the playoffs or go on a long losing streak.    It’s all part of the process.   

• Cheers 2

Bring in Gerard Gallant as an experienced coach to help push the players and Green...

Special teams are stationary, so predictable the PK doesn't even need to move when we have a PP. Need more speed/size/grit in the botton 6, problem is Mac and Bailey have the tools but they don't finish checks and pressure the D...Canucks seem to not like those kind of players.

Its a weird season, only play 6 teams...lost some good players. I like Horvat but where is the fire in his belly to speak up on the bench and on the ice!? He is a Sedin clone and will be a quiet, soft leader.

Team needs a leader higher up to see the issues and makes changes...problem is that is usually the president or a GM with a back bone, that person is the same guy for the Canucks. 

I really think we have a young rebuilding team that lacks Experienced/Respected/Feared (when taking a night off) type of coach. All we have is former players who had a bit of AHL experience behind the bench along with N. Brown who shouldbe canned asap for the stationary PP and nobody willing to go to the net and be a net front presence for screens and tips.

Go Canucks, but changes need to be made throughout the entire organization imo.

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson sucks so far this year. More penalties than points. No goals. But I'm sure he'll figure it out. 

I almost feel like every goalie knows that Pete's one timer on the PP is heading for top corner (because he's so accurate) so I see goalies lunge across without even looking and make sure they cover that corner. 

The defenseman takes angle to block shot to far side of net and cross crease pass. 

Maybe Peteys gotta one touch pass back to Hughes who might have a better angle for a while before he starts shooting again... 

The main reason we have a problem is pretty much on Newell Brown. The PP is too stagnant and there is no movement which makes it easier to defend. 

We need to make the opposing defense move around on switches, get caught out of position etc but Becuase we lack movement, we dont cause this. 

Hughes is usually good at making a move at the line and catching someone out of position but the problem is, after he makes the pass, we slow it down again and let the defense reset instead of having them run around. Maybe the answer is to shoot quicker once Hughes makes his first move. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We won a lot of games we didn’t deserve too last year.  

^^ This.

Markstrom stole a lot of games for the Canucks last year. We can focus on how great Miller, Hughes and Pettersson were last year, but the team was giving up 40+ shots a game. That doesn't seem to have changed. The problem isn't coaching, or even goaltending. It's that poor D, not nearly nasty or dependable enough. Canucks have MTL coming in, with what could be the best, meanest D in the league. 

I expect they'll lose all 3 against MTL, they're just better than VAN. So, that would bring the Canucks record to 1-6. Ouch.  

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I expect they'll lose all 3 against MTL, they're just better than VAN. So, that would bring the Canucks record to 1-6. Ouch.  

I hope you are wrong. That would put them 5 games under .500 and there is no way they make that up in this division. Season over after 7 games!

God I hope you are wrong.

Just now, IBatch said:

Or ... maybe .. Markstrom = more wins lol.

We won a lot of games we didn’t deserve too last year.   We also lost some we did.    TG is considered a top tier coach in this league already, predicted as the runner up for the Adams heading into this season by NHL.com writers, and THN is also very high on him.    Careful for what you wish for.   Babcock in TO....Quenville in Florida - how did that go or is going so far?    The only coach in the league that I’d be happy to exchange for is Trotz.   Sometimes a coaching change is required,  it’s usually a last ditch effort for a GM...  the team we have right now on paper is mostly unproven potential.   The bar has gone up after our run last year.   JB is playing the long game - part of those risks included a very real possibly of a down year.  Cap wise he made all the right moves this off-season, without Holtby and Schmidt we’d have very little chances of making the playoffs.    The table is set, the ED is looming, and highly doubt TG is going anywhere soon, even if we end up missing the playoffs or go on a long losing streak.    It’s all part of the process.   

I’m thinking a better system might cut down on the shots and time spent in our own end also playing with a bit of urgency will help get us more shots.

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

virtanen was only forward to score  wheres pearson gaudette sutter roussel beagle  petey horvat   motte boeser its their job to score  bunch of no shows  but jake is the problem geezus 

4 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Not based on one game bud

Virtanen doesn't play on the #1 PP or the PK. He is not a Top 6 guy who has gone pointless in the last 3 games!!!!

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

You seriously don’t  see serious flaws in our game?

just bad luck? 

we have been hot garbage. The sooner we admit it the sooner we can address it

are fans supposed to be happy that we were just schooled by arch enemies the last 3 games? 

I think Marky covered up a lot of those flaws in our game and now he is not here to make the coach look good anymore. ::D

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

In the cap environment teams make changes every year. Stetcher is a great guy but frankly a marginal nhl player 

the team is disjointed and unprepared and it is not addressing issues or adjusting

This is like Willie hockey all over again 

I tried to explain this before but too many had their "rose colored glasses" on. 

56 minutes ago, IBatch said:

LE will be back soon if it keeps up for sure - which would be unfortunate.   There will be lineup tweaks soon if our home stand starts poorly.    One positive is that our home record got us into the playoffs last year and was pretty good overall.   Last change does make a difference. 

We played better in the playoffs as the “visitor” team in the bubble 

So far this season feels like that WandaVision show. You watch a hallow product and feel cheated with the time you’ve invested in. At least 1/3rd of the game wasn’t credits. Mind you 1/3rd of the game are ads. Anyways much MUCH more to be desired. I hope home cooking can stump the slump.

58 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Wouldnt mind Schmidt in for a bit.  Hughes, Petey and Brock need to realize they arent there to play pattycake with their friends.  Split them all up.  As bad as the pp has looked, 5 on 5 has been an embarasaing disaster with these 3.  

None if them want to shoot and when the do the pass is too hard to first time

let Schmidt blast a few from the point