Sign in to follow this  
SNuck

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, PositionOfPower said:

:picard: My question is were you? I believe JB said something about Virt not playing to expectations during and after playoffs no?

When did JB says this, was it this season?

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

ya    funny how benning has no expectations on vets mailing it in yr after yr  (sutter, eriksson, roussel,  pearson, benn, beagle)  waste of 20mill in cap 

Vets seldom get better when criticized, probably too old to improve.

I'm quite sure JB has expectations of all his players. I'd say JB tried to trade off a few players this year but got no takers.

The $20 mill in cap space is mostly gone next year, which is about where the youth of the team could be expected to become the leaders of then and the future.

don't think anyone thought E.P. and Hughes were going to be so good right from the start.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Rumbling was that Marky would go as low as 5 million times 5 to stay in Vancouver (same with what Lehner got in Vegas), however, he requested to have a NMC to protect him for the expansion draft. Seattle is the real reason why we lost Marky, If there isn't an expansion, we would have resigned Marky at $5 Million x 5 and kick the can down the road a little bit further to decide whether to keep him long term or go with Demko long term. It is a tough decision, but I support the Canucks management with this decision wholeheartedly.

I also like the acquisition this summer in bringing in Schmidt and Hamonic to solidify the blueline

However, I am absolutely upset at how lack of creativity JB was with the cap. He got us into this mess by overspending in the past summer. He should atleast move out 1 of Beagle, Roussel or Sutter to bring back Toffoli. There were rumour that in the morning that Toffoli signed with Montreal, JB was in the midst of working a trade to move Sutter and use his money to sign Toffoli. Rumour has it that he was close to a deal, but it was too late by then Toffoli signed a deal with Montreal. Then he didn't proceed with the trade anymore! Even an extra $4.375 million in cap could do wonders for this team as we can pick up more depth forward/defense to add depth to the team. We could have use this money to bring in a Mikael Granlund on a one year contract to solidify the top 6.

This shown lack of foresight and lack of planning on his part. He should make moving salaries the #1 priority since we got eliminated. Meanwhile, I don't doubt him making phone calls to other GMs every day, but he needs to be able to move those salaries. For example, the Rangers was able to move Staal and the Coyotes were able to get rid-off Stepan. Both were on arguably worse contracts than any one of Beagle, Sutter and Roussel. He also lack the creativity to cheat like other teams. E.g. Toronto did with Robidas and Lupul. I just wish he would've done more to get rid off our deadweights and give us better depth this season.

Spot on right here!!! 

GM JB was too zoned in on a OEL trade. JB has had off seasons to shed the dead cap and has done nothing about it, rumour was TT wanted to come back but you can't blame the guy for waiting and waiting to see IF JB could swing a deal to move out salary. I mean TT was 1 of the very few players to get a lucrative longish term contract this FA.

We had to improve our D overall and I think we did, but it will take some time for them to all gel. We need a more veteran coach for them tho, no offense to our entire staff but they ALL have minimal NHL experience, should have at least 1 veteran coach who has been around and can whip the boys into shape when they slack off. A bunch of entry level NHL coaches in their early 40s won't hold the same kind of respect unfortunately. Same thing happens in the work place when a new boss takes over and you are close in age and now have to listen to the higher up who has the same experience as you or maybe not even as much.

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Spot on right here!!! 

GM JB was too zoned in on a OEL trade. JB has had off seasons to shed the dead cap and has done nothing about it, rumour was TT wanted to come back but you can't blame the guy for waiting and waiting to see IF JB could swing a deal to move out salary. I mean TT was 1 of the very few players to get a lucrative longish term contract this FA.

We had to improve our D overall and I think we did, but it will take some time for them to all gel. We need a more veteran coach for them tho, no offense to our entire staff but they ALL have minimal NHL experience, should have at least 1 veteran coach who has been around and can whip the boys into shape when they slack off. A bunch of entry level NHL coaches in their early 40s won't hold the same kind of respect unfortunately. Same thing happens in the work place when a new boss takes over and you are close in age and now have to listen to the higher up who has the same experience as you or maybe not even as much.

For sure, 

Was happy when Doug Jarvis came in to support Willie, but he moved into more of a management role

Biggest concern IMO all along is Baumer as our D coach. If he doesn't improve our Corsi CA numbers defensively, and ultimately game results with a pretty solid D on paper, JB should consider him leaving or moving to a different position at year end.

Our defensive game improved in the playoffs last year but haven't seen that result so far. Part of it is 3 new guys on the back end have to assume.

84681CC4-A93F-41DF-8E5D-56ADA94A5ED5.jpeg

...but I really don’t think we’re anywhere near there.

Edited by Me_

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

84681CC4-A93F-41DF-8E5D-56ADA94A5ED5.jpeg

oh, are we posting examples of people whose family trees don't fork?

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Not sure but sometimes a minor tweak can make all the difference 

but it requires the willingness that status quo is not acceptable. Teams are ready for us, they learn out tendencies. On the pp they know hughes rarely shoots from the point so the key in on petey and brock. We need to adjust. Cant keep playing into their hands by doing wjat they expect 

we need to cycle and force coverage breakdowns move players, move the puck 

It was noticeable in the playoffs  against Vegas that they just kept prrssuring our d during exit attempts...  It would had been nice to change up regardless of personnel.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

The book on our guys is to play us physically and take away time and space 

to defeat this we need crisper and faster passing and we have to have constant movement. Fight through hold and hooks and find space 

Petey can actually hold his own.  Its Brock (and Hughes) who is physically the weakest player on the club.  Thats part of why 5 on 5 so far this year its been a disaster.  Every team now knows if you play them physical youre going to control the play.   Petey will need Podkolzin on his RW if we are going to get anywhere.  

24 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Petey can actually hold his own.  Its Brock (and Hughes) who is physically the weakest player on the club.  Thats part of why 5 on 5 so far this year its been a disaster.  Every team now knows if you play them physical youre going to control the play.   Petey will need Podkolzin on his RW if we are going to get anywhere.  

I was hoping Jake would fill that role to open up space but it has not really worked out 

44 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Yep.

HUGHES - MYERS

EDLER - SCHMIDT

Filler - Filler

That’s how Hughes becomes. Second year only. 
Boeser needs to bend his knees when confronted so he’s better balanced.

9 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

I know Quinn is buddies with the Tkachuk’s but man you can’t be buddy buddies in the heat of the battle when every point matters against divisional opponents. They look like they are partying it up in that scrum.

F5A94EC8-6E16-4BE5-8FF9-633F89B096FC.jpeg

Maybe it was Hughes plan all along.

We know Tkachuk plays dirty game, this would prevent him from decapitating our best promising young player.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Hydration 3

6 hours ago, Jwclau said:

Markstrom got us to the playoffs after 6 long years and what do we do? We trade him! God help me, there are too many armchair athletes in Vancouver who don't remember Mark's thousands of highlight reel saves.

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We didn't trade him.   He was a free agent and opted to leave for $$.

6 hours ago, Jwclau said:

Same thing, we could've kept him if we wanted to, don't make it complicated and stick to the point that we didn't keep an all-star goalie that played his heart out every game! What else can u ask for from a player?

C’mon Deb. Don’t cloud a good narrative with Facts. Smh 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Obsideon said:

We know Tkachuk plays dirty game, this would prevent him from decapitating our best promising young player.

Maybe Markstrom, Tanev and Leivo are just in Calgary undercover trying not to get decapitated. 

Oh My God Omg GIF by Hunters

• Haha 4

We let him go! It doesn't matter if he was traded or not resigned! Typical Canucks fans who don't get the point, are we still rebuilding too? lol

21 minutes ago, Jwclau said:

We let him go! It doesn't matter if he was traded or not resigned! Typical Canucks fans who don't get the point, are we still rebuilding too? lol

WE don't get the point?  You thought we traded him.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Love story? Are you and Benning dating? That wouldn't surprise me as he often makes poor decisions.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jwclau said:

You accuse people of not getting the point when you don’t even know what happened. Maybe you should have some knowledge about the team before you criticize something you have no understanding of. 

• Hydration 1

You're correct Mr.Towel, he wasn't traded- he was NOT re-signed. Does that make any difference as to him no longer playing w us? No it doesn't. Enjoy praying Demko is anything close to Mark's. You should be a lawyer lol. You are missing the point, that's why you're just a towel boy.

Edited by Jwclau

1 hour ago, Obsideon said:

Embarrassing 

2 minutes ago, Jwclau said:

You're correct Mr.Towel, he wasn't traded- he was NOT re-signed. Does that make any difference as to him no longer playing w us? No it doesn't. Enjoy praying Demko is anything close to Mark's. You should be a lawyer lol

Vancouver tried but teams can’t just offer guys what they want as it has a ripple effect on the rest of the roster and the future.  Demko would be exposed in expansion and blocked by Markstrom.  He could well be the one asking out.  Also don’t want to be tied down to a player if he starts to regress - see how long 6 years are looking for Eriksson. 

Canucks are built around Hughes/Pettersson who are in their early 20s.  They will still be in their prime in 4 years while Markstrom might not.  Demko’s timeline fits with theirs better.

Markstrom has masked a lot of flaws.  It might not be a bad thing to have them exposed so they can find a sustainable fix.  Will force them to re-think how they play in front of their goalies and whether they even have the right personnel. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1