The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Spot on right here!!! 

GM JB was too zoned in on a OEL trade. JB has had off seasons to shed the dead cap and has done nothing about it, rumour was TT wanted to come back but you can't blame the guy for waiting and waiting to see IF JB could swing a deal to move out salary. I mean TT was 1 of the very few players to get a lucrative longish term contract this FA.

We had to improve our D overall and I think we did, but it will take some time for them to all gel. We need a more veteran coach for them tho, no offense to our entire staff but they ALL have minimal NHL experience, should have at least 1 veteran coach who has been around and can whip the boys into shape when they slack off. A bunch of entry level NHL coaches in their early 40s won't hold the same kind of respect unfortunately. Same thing happens in the work place when a new boss takes over and you are close in age and now have to listen to the higher up who has the same experience as you or maybe not even as much.

I agree on the moving out contracts

but I am not buying the "new excuse" which I have seen 14 times today.

that being, "The team needs time to gel"

that is the "Age Gap/ Veteran Leadership/ Mentor of 2021

Maybe if your 3 new D-men are having trouble "gelling" the coach should put 2 regulars from last year together rather than having a new guy on each pairing.

or Maybe the new guys are having trouble "gelling" because they are miffed are the poor coaching/system they find themselves in.

Thinking of guys coming to Vancouver and being coached by Baumer always reminds me of Mats Sundin rolling his eyes when coach Ryan Walter was giving him a motivational pep talk on the bench during Mats' last 41 games of a 1300+ game career.

Maybe the coaching is just not up to NHL standards.

That "Rope-a-Dope" system nearly worked against Vegas when Demmer stood on his head.

Then there are the forwards

Are they "not Gelling" with 2 new guys out of 12?

or is it Coach Green playing "Musical LW" on Petey's line confusing the other lines

I am not sure what the problem was with Pete's line, Brock scored 2 goals in the first game and we won.

Better start up the blender!

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, lmm said:

I agree on the moving out contracts

but I am not buying the "new excuse" which I have seen 14 times today.

that being, "The team needs time to gel"

that is the "Age Gap/ Veteran Leadership/ Mentor of 2021

Maybe if your 3 new D-men are having trouble "gelling" the coach should put 2 regulars from last year together rather than having a new guy on each pairing.

or Maybe the new guys are having trouble "gelling" because they are miffed are the poor coaching/system they find themselves in.

Thinking of guys coming to Vancouver and being coached by Baumer always reminds me of Mats Sundin rolling his eyes when coach Ryan Walter was giving him a motivational pep talk on the bench during Mats' last 41 games of a 1300+ game career.

Maybe the coaching is just not up to NHL standards.

That "Rope-a-Dope" system nearly worked against Vegas when Demmer stood on his head.

Then there are the forwards

Are they "not Gelling" with 2 new guys out of 12?

or is it Coach Green playing "Musical LW" on Petey's line confusing the other lines

I am not sure what the problem was with Pete's line, Brock scored 2 goals in the first game and we won.

Better start up the blender!

Good points, would be interesting what the new players (esp Schmidt) are thinking of the system the coaches are implementing...

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, lmm said:

Maybe the coaching is just not up to NHL standards.!

This is a bad comparison, Walter played over 1000 nhl games with approx 650 points and a Stanley Cup, I think he’s qualified to give even nhl vets advice/encouragement. A lot more than Baumer would be.

3 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This is a bad comparison, Walter played over 1000 nhl games with approx 650 points and a Stanley Cup, I think he’s qualified to give even nhl vets advice/encouragement. A lot more than Baumer would be.

Wayne Gretzky is the greatest scorer of all time, Scotty Bowman never played in the league, that is not the point

Edited by lmm
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, lmm said:

Wayne Gretzky is the greatest scorer of all time, Scotty Bowman never played in the league, that is not the point

Maybe qualify your statement with facts that disqualify Ryan Walter as a good coach? What is your point?

14 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Maybe qualify your statement with facts that disqualify Ryan Walter as a good coach? What is your point?

I never  said Ryan Walter was not a good coach, but if you have seen the video, its fair to say he was not resonating with Mats that day

I do however believe Baumer is not a good coach

• Cheers 2

Just now, lmm said:

I never  said Ryan Walter was not a good coach, but if you have seen the video, its fair to say he was not resonating with Mats that day

Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, lmm said:

He seems to be over his head at this point - probably needs more seasoning in a less familiar setting to force him to expand his schemes as a coach.   The Vegas series exposed alot of the teams tendencies and at this point is still being exploited by other teams - imo.   

• Cheers 1

On 20/01/2021 at 8:58 AM, CaptKirk888 said:

Agree.  Walter was an excellent player and won more than Sundin did.

• Cheers 1