The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If Miller being hurt is going to impact the Canucks that badly then the team has problems with depth.

I agree, I thought we had more depth with leadership on this team and I didn't see anyone "up" their game in his absence. We have veterans on the team so hopefully they pass on their knowledge to the younger group.

6 hours ago, khay said:

True. But not many teams can take a loss of a first line player as if though it were a mosquito bite. Well, maybe Tampa can as they won a cup without Stamkos and now without Kucherov.

No kidding. Not only is Miller a key first liner, he's the heart and funny bone of the team. That's hard to replace.

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, I thought we had more depth with leadership on this team and I didn't see anyone "up" their game in his absence. We have veterans on the team so hopefully they pass on their knowledge to the younger group.

The problem is when the vets up the game, the bottom line for them still isn’t very good. 

31 minutes ago, EdgarM said:
7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If Miller being hurt is going to impact the Canucks that badly then the team has problems with depth.

Most seasons there will be 3 or 4 players that get injured, in the past 10 to 14 days to recover might take in 5 games now that could be over 7 games. Canucks history of injuries would indicate Edler should get injured for 3 weeks, Boeser for 2+ weeks, Myers for a couple and then bottom nine forwards 2+ weeks.

Depth replacements are necessary for top six forwards, which there are none so far showing up there or top four defence, which hasn't been needed yet.

This team has been almost perfectly healthy to date with only two players, Benn and Miller, a 6-7 defenceman and top six player. It should be running at near 100%.

Many FA players were signed and have been touted as being here because of their leadership abilities and to show the young players the "right way to play", I always thought Horvat already knew that but then I am just a fan and not running the team.

I have no doubt Miller will make a difference today, he will be fresh and chomping at the bit. He might pull Boeser and Pettersson's game up a notch although they will start showing the grind by now, fatigue.

The season is still young, no need to panic, if at all, covid helped last time and could this time as well, a great equalizer.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks need to play like they actually want to win the game. Take it to the Flames from the opening faceoff. No more BS! 

At this point in the season this might be all there is, Miller should add some spice to the game, I hope otherwise, well they are 100% healthy and the best they can be.

I expect a big night from Petey. He’s going to benefit from Miller’s return to the lineup and score a goal and add an assist. Canucks power play finally clicks and they get 2 PP goals. Tight fought battle but the Canucks prevail 4-2. 

7 minutes ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

Any word on Hughes? He's listed as day-to-day for my fantasy team

Word is that he got dinged or has a minor tweak of something. I expect he will play. (Just saw T. Green confirm it)

Even after 3 games it’s quite obvious that teams are focusing intently on him and are going to try to punish him at every opportunity. Saw a few (gloved) shots towards his head from both the Oil and the Flames. Gotta take note of that sh*t boys.

And as much as Quinn is great at freelancing...I think he could stand to simplify his game just a touch. He’s really getting caught defensively out of position quite a bit....and his defensive partner this year is not likely to be possessed with great mobility to compensate. *waves at Hamonic*

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Vintage 1

Sure nice to Have JT back. Hopefully Hughes is OK to play as well.

JT can hopefully get Petey going. He has seemed a little bit "disengaged" in my opinion.

I predict our boys will come out flying tonight and get a big W.

Go Canucks Go!