The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Shames | January 18, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, tas said:

.. because f***in' everybody in the industry is a white guy. 

LOL!  Took the words right out of my mouth.  NHL hockey is primarily white guys, some of whom go into broadcasting when they are done.  So yeh, I think my comment stands.  Sorry if I offended you, it's not meant to, but for women, people of colour it's tough to break into an industry when the history is caucasian males.   That's why it was a cause for celebration when Hanamaryan Singh called his first game in english last week.  

If the Canucks win tonight and Pettersson scores, then that Miller trade looks even more genius. Bo was always next in line for the C, but Miller deserves it. At the least, he should have an A.

My main concern for this team is goaltending. Does Green lack confidence in Demko? I thought he was going to be the new starter. Holtby has done alright, but I don't feel confident with him in net. His reaction time seems a bit slow, out of position, he leaves a lot of net open. Being 4 inches shorter than Marky doesn't help. 

After watching the first 3 gems I really feel we miss that player with an edge?  We have some big players but only  few ply with the edge of a Ferland...

Ferland 6'1 215 LBS this is style we re missing..Teams are aware when players like this are on the ice.. ? LTIR

Tryamkin 6'7 -265   He would have teams  aware very gritty tough -- ?? 

Podkolzin 6'3 - 210 --He will add to toughness and plays with edge -- April 2021

MacEwen 6'3 - 215 - He plays with edge need him in lineup....

Jake 6'1 215 LBS -- Needs to step up and play more aggressive big hits..

Miller 6'2 210LB -- He will play gritty and he must makes more room for his team

Russel 6'0     --- He is gritty but middle weight doesn't have presence of a Ferland

Myers 6'7 215  -- Big hits and surprising he could add some fear to other teams with big hits with his size

Hamonic 6'2 - 210 - He can play with edge to his game and can intimidate .....

I m not that excited with there play so far I know its early but they need to play tougher and harder on the puck,..

Hope we see a better game tonight

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

Just now, NeilColville said:

Every single team has that spot covered. Our PP is so predictable and stagnant that Petey has no time or space. M O V E T H E G O D D A M N P U C K 

While I agree that we need to move the puck more (not stretch passes) I'd argue that every team in the league has Ovi's spot covered too, but the puck still goes in. Petey is lethal in his spot, but the power play around him needs to clear some more room.

The problem is Brown just implements his system and expects it to work no matter which players he puts in place. You can see that by the way he just shuffles the deck when we have an injury like Miller. What we need is a special teams coach that builds a system around the players we have to utilize their individual skillsets.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

On one of the broadcasts they mentioned that Hughson does not want to travel due to COVID so will only be calling Canuck home games.

I don't know if that's true, but it kinda makes sense.

I seen Jimmy down at Crescent Beach a couple of weeks ago so this makes sense. 

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

After watching the first 3 gems I really feel we miss that player with an edge?  We have some big players but only  few ply with the edge of a Ferland...

Ferland 6'1 215 LBS this is style we re missing..Teams are aware when players like this are on the ice.. ? LTIR

Tryamkin 6'7 -265   He would have teams  aware very gritty tough -- ?? 

Podkolzin 6'3 - 210 --He will add to toughness and plays with edge -- April 2021

MacEwen 6'3 - 215 - He plays with edge need him in lineup....

Jake 6'1 215 LBS -- Needs to step ups and play aggressive big hits..

Miller 6'2 210LB -- He will play gritty and he must makes more room for his team

Russel 6'0     --- Hes gritty but middle weight doesn't have presence of a Ferland

Myers 6'7 215  -- Big hits and surprising he could add some fear to other teams with big hits with his size

Not to nitpick, but Myers is 6'8" and 230 lbs. And Edler is a pretty big player at 6'3" and 215, who hits with force. 

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Hamonic 6'2 - 210 - He can play with edge to his game and can intimidate .....

I m not that excited with there play so far I know its early but they need to play tougher and harder on the puck,..

Hope we see a better game tonight

I do agree with the point overall. The team needs to play with much more of a physical edge. They have enough players, as you've pointed out in your post, who are capable of doing so, but for some reason, are being routinely outworked and outmuscled. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 minutes ago, tas said:

... because f***in' everybody in the industry is a white guy. 

And both Rick Ball and Cassie Campbell are far better than many previous broadcasters employed by Sportsnet/CBC (including Dave Randorf, which is the guy you're confusing with Scott Rintoul).

You clearly are missing my point. Black people dominate basketball, broadcasting, if a white person to were to say I like this female over a black guy instead of just using male they get called out. There was no need to say White before guy, it wasn't a big deal but I find it odd how much slides in that regard.

Yes I did have him mixed up.

Cassie and Rick IMO suck, are Homer's and two each his own right?

Edited by Alienhuggyflow

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not to nitpick, but Myers is 6'8" and 230 lbs. And Edler is a pretty big player at 6'3" and 215, who hits with force. 

I do agree with the point overall. The team needs to play with much more of a physical edge. They have enough players, as you've pointed out in your post, who are capable of doing so, but for some reason, are being routinely outworked and outmuscled. 

So is this a player driven concern or the coaches? The only one with a hit from the big boys last game was from Jake, Mac ,Myers and Roussel had 0 hits. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If the Canucks win tonight and Pettersson scores, then that Miller trade looks even more genius. Bo was always next in line for the C, but Miller deserves it. At the least, he should have an A.

My main concern for this team is goaltending. Does Green lack confidence in Demko? I thought he was going to be the new starter. Holtby has done alright, but I don't feel confident with him in net. His reaction time seems a bit slow, out of position, he leaves a lot of net open. Being 4 inches shorter than Marky doesn't help. 

While Miller would be a good choice, he doesn't deserve it over Bo. If he doesn't get an A this year then I'd be curious what the hell Green is thinking though.

As far as Demko, Green has less to do with goaltending decisions than Clark. Goaltending is a wierd position that is equal parts mental and physical, so I'm not surprised that Clark is easing Demko into the role. I also thought while Holtby didn't steal us a game by any means he was still the least of our worries so far in his 2 starts.

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So is this a player driven concern or the coaches? The only one with a hit from the big boys last game was from Jake, Mac ,Myers and Roussel had 0 hits. 

I'm not sure. It is early in this short season, but seeing the physical edge that nearly all the other Canadian teams are playing with, it is concerning that the Canucks look like their playing tenatively.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers could use his size more to his advantage. Although, he has a long reach, he needs to play with a little more aggression.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure. It is early in this short season, but seeing the physical edge that nearly all the other Canadian teams are playing with, it is concerning that the Canucks look like their playing tenatively.

I agree, I would swear if this wasn't the beginning of the season, I would think that they were all nursing injuries. Why would so many players look like they are  playing so tentatively? 

• Wat 1