The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 20, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | ESPN+, SNP, TSN2, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

I predict Toffoli gets one goal and two assists tonight......because you know.....thats what happens to Ex-Canucks.

He also almost always score on us whenever we played LA back in the days. He is a career Canuck killer before he join us. So I won't be surprised if he gets a goal.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Fair point but I'd disagree there, having two puck moving d men does not necessarily cause redundancy, rather, they could feed off each other more and the group as a whole starts becoming more mobile and less predictable.

Myers and Juolevi are more than capable of being puck movers for their pair and Juolevi has shown he can handle third pair minutes well at this time.

Yeah, two high level skaters and puck movers can be magical as a pairing, if they have chemistry, can read off each other, and almost intuitively make the necessary switches in coverage to protect their own end. When you have one puck rushing D on a pairing, opponents often need to cheat to cover that threat. But with two, you have decoy options, and can really force defences into opening up lots of space to drive play down ice, and continue to push the action, once inside the offensive zone. Of course it can be high risk, but it can also reward with some beautiful offensive hockey.

• Upvote 1

Top 6 needs to show up otherwise we're gonna keep losing. People can cry all they want but our top 6 has stunk so far this season and our record is a reflection of it. I believe in them to turn it around but it has to be sooner rather than later. 56 games is too short of a season to be throwing games away trying to get into a rhythm. Petey gonna have a monster night. I can feel it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yep. He has scored the most goals against the Canucks (13 goals in 28 games) than any other team.

He also scores at very similar rate when he is a Canuck: 6 goals in 10 games. I guess him on the same ice surface as the Canucks = goals. I really wish we could've kept him, he liked it here, he was a good fit and he would really complete our top 6.

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Top 6 needs to show up otherwise we're gonna keep losing. People can cry all they want but our top 6 has stunk so far this season and our record is a reflection of it. I believe in them to turn it around but it has to be sooner rather than later. 56 games is too short of a season to be throwing games away trying to get into a rhythm. Petey gonna have a monster night. I can feel it.

Hopefully they don't cower under the pressure of Montreal's forecheck. This inability to respond to physicality is concerning and all to familiar. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Our effort needs to be there from the get go, but Green isn't a good motivator. So the vets have to have to have to take over our pre game.

The vets also have to have to have to take over our pp. 

Our effort definitely needs to be there from the puck drop to the buzzer, but I am left wondering where your comment about NOT being a good motivator comes from? did you here players mention this? did you here sports analysts say this? or is this just your IMHO?

Coach Green sure seemed to motivate them in the bubble playoffs.

I agree the Vets need to do more but these are professional players and professional coaches, I'm confident that together as a whole they will work through this.

Go Canucks Go

44 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pretty much the whole team has stunk, including the whole coaching staff

21 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So is Boeser, Horvat, Pearson and Hoglander. Other Top 6ers

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Newell Brown is probably blaming the faulty pucks for the lack of success, as we’re seeing the same units again.

Not sure what Green's strategy is here, if there is one. Keep things the same, and then, if it continues to fail, mix all of the lines during the game at some point?

Looks like the lines remain the same in the top 6 and most of them have gone pointless in the last 3 games and the PP has not scored a goal yet. 

Why not switch Hogs and Boeser up? and not for a shift or two I mean for a game or two. Why not change personnel up on PP1?

Flipping all these players around during a game just seems so amateur and makes the coach look like he doesn't know what he is doing or he doesn't know what he has in his players. They have to be getting discouraged by it. I think Jake played on 3 different lines in one game. 

Start the game with a plan and stick to it! If it doesn't work, make changes in practice, not during the game. 

Oh yeah, and it would be nice if he could get his players to skate hard and make a hit every once in awhile, if not, bench them. Too much favoritism going, it appears , and I am sure this doesn't help in team comradery. 

42 minutes ago, T-Bo said:

That could be applied to a lot of guys based on the past couple of games.  Hopefully tonight is a turnaround night.

I guess it could, but he's the only healthy scratch.

I thought he played ok, but it was his spot to lose, and he did.

Coaching staff obviously feels they have better options, we will likely get a look at Benn and Rathbone as well.

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Our effort needs to be there from the get go, but Green isn't a good motivator. So the vets have to have to have to take over our pre game.

The vets also have to have to have to take over our pp. 

Would be nice to see the Captain "step up" as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Not sure what Green's strategy is here, if there is one. Keep things the same, and then, if it continues to fail, mix all of the lines during the game at some point?

Looks like the lines remain the same in the top 6 and most of them have gone pointless in the last 3 games and the PP has not scored a goal yet. 

Why not switch Hogs and Boeser up? and not for a shift or two I mean for a game or two. Why not change personnel up on PP1?

Flipping all these players around during a game just seems so amateur and makes the coach look like he doesn't know what he is doing or he doesn't know what he has in his players. They have to be getting discouraged by it. I think Jake played on 3 different lines in one game. 

Start the game with a plan and stick to it! If it doesn't work, make changes in practice, not during the game. 

Oh yeah, and it would be nice if he could get his players to skate hard and make a hit every once in awhile, if not, bench them. Too much favoritism going, it appears , and I am sure this doesn't help in team comradery. 

LMFAO - why don't they do this on their own, they're adults  

• Haha 1

Just now, EdgarM said:

I honestly think the players don’t like his system and are sick and tired of being made to look bad by an incompetent coach.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1