The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 20, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | ESPN+, SNP, TSN2, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, Cluminati* said:

Petterson..guy who can light up any goalie at any moment wow. 

Not to mention - the guy that provided the screen so Miller’s hardwork and Boeser’s shot weren’t wasted.   Price rarely  let those ones in if he can see them.   I picked EP in my pool this year  ... I’m not worried. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Interesting that Habs fans are calling this game terribly reffed. I’d say the only non-call that was called was the Roussel one, which they capitalized on. Thank you, game management! 

I know thought Holtby tripped Kokanee 

their was also a myers hold they were mad about 

that said, montreal had a slew foot not called against them 

we scored on the pp which usually angers opposing fans, we know from experience!!! 

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

I know thought Holtby tripped Kokanee 

their was also a myers hold they were mad about 

that said, montreal had a slew foot not called against them 

we scored on the pp which usually angers opposing fans, we know from experience!!! 

I was more talking about the whinging about;

- Anderson not deserving the delay of game penalty

- Anderson not deserving of his roughing penalty

- Kotkaniemi not deserving an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, even though the player himself admitted that he had been "stupid" and "probably cost the team the game"

- Myers not getting an interference call (even though he didn't move an inch and Gallagher ran into him, which is perfectly legal)

And then completely omitting these facts;

- Price held the puck in the trapezoid on the PK, which should've put them down 2 men

- Roussel's interference penalty was a clear game management call, as he didn't change Romanov's stride whatsoever and didn't set a pick.

The game was overall well-reffed. There has been much worse. Montreal fans would have you believe the 6:1 difference is a conspiracy, rather than an endigment of how Vancouver dominated the play during the entire game. The reality is, Montreal barely had any continuity during the entire game, and barely had the puck on their sticks. Their goals all came from the rush, mostly thanks to pitiful defensive coverage. They chased us for 55 minutes. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I would love to see what Motte could do with more offensive linemates and better minutes (not mostly D-zone starts and PK). ....

He's a sniper in a former life. Check out his NCAA stats. I often wonder as well how he would fair in a top six role. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Baumgartner needs to make some adjustments with the defensive system. Aside from all the errors and blown coverage, which will hopefully get fixed with more playing time, the defensive setup is way to passive - 5 on 5 in the Canucks zone always looks like they're on the PK and it's been like this ever since Baumgartner got the job. I was fine with it initially because the team was still rebuilding, but as the defensive personnel improved, I haven't seen the actual defensive play improve that much. The only major improvement I saw was when Markstrom was stealing games left and right, but now that he's no longer here, you can really see the team's weaknesses defensively. 

This team is way too talented to be this bad, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they regressed this year. Take one step back to take two steps forward.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2