The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 20, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | ESPN+, SNP, TSN2, RDS

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Don't understand the Juolevi swap at all. Maybe they just want to get Chatfield in some games or manage the amount of games a rookie plays with a condensed schedule.

Still, Olli should be in the home opener. He's played very well.

I think we will see a lot of this with the younger players. Swapping in and out to get more practice time and game experience. 

I was hoping our veterans would similarly be played on rotation. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Swapping out Juolevi is an odd choice. How is he the problem? Doesn't make much sense to me. :huh:

Green’s logic......lets get older and slower 

• Haha 3

I haven’t seen enough of chatfield to comment on what he will bring to the table tonight.  Based on his hockeydb profile appears to be a pure defensive dman.  I wonder if it’s partly to get Schmidt going as the pairing of him with elder wasn’t showing a lot of chemistry.

Just now, flat land fish said:

I haven’t seen enough of chatfield to comment on what he will bring to the table tonight.  Based on his hockeydb profile appears to be a pure defensive dman.  I wonder if it’s partly to get Schmidt going as the pairing of him with elder wasn’t showing a lot of chemistry.

He's a poorman's Brent Burns. "Defense" can be applied liberally to his position. More of a rover.

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Green’s logic......lets get older and slower 

I mean Chatfield is only 24 but I guess it’s a little older lol I don’t mind it. Joulevi has been good but it’s always nice to see what the other prospects can do! Plus you wouldn’t scratch any of the other 5 D-men so Joulevi is the only logical choice.

Montreal "should" be 3-0 - the Laffs had no business winning the opener.

Habs looking very good imo - solid top 4 - good depth (particularly improved on the wings and with bringing in Edmundson and Chiarot)...

The one area the Canucks would need to capitalize on is their experience at center.

Danault is the one veteran - and the only good faceoff guy among their group.

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Evans are all quite green - and understandably get dominated on draws.  Aside from that they have a good, experienced, balanced, deep supporting cast....

Really - all they need to figure is a way to Drouin, Raymond and a 1st their way to Dubois and they're set.

• Hydration 1
41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the coach should understand he hasn't played since March and stop giving him so much ice time. 

Or maybe the coach knows his players better and has more trust in  him than other Dmen that he has to choose from?

Go Canucks go 

5 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

How many times have the Canucks risen to the occasion against a hot or higher ranked team? I expect good things tonight. 

At least once 

11 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I think we will see a lot of this with the younger players. Swapping in and out to get more practice time and game experience. 

I agree - it's going to be necessary to use their depth.

The compacted grind of the season is going to be a challenge (as always) for young players.

I think people are probably getting ahead of themselves with expectations as a result of advancing in the playoffs.

Those circumstances were somewhat opportune for Vancouver - the ability to rest their youth after the grind of a regular season - and then step relatvely fresh into the bubble (whereas the playoffs typically follow a very long grind that is difficult for young players to sustain throughout.

I think they've reached a 'critical mass' point with youth - integrating another wave into an already young lineup - Hoglander, Juolevi, to Demko, EP, Boeser, Hughes, Gaudette, MacEwen (Virtanen and Motte not exactly 'veterans') - that's virtually half a lineup of young players.    The Habs, by contrast, who on some levels also feature a fair amount of youth in their lineup, are still pretty much limited to 3 centers and a third pairing D....

While I think the bubble circumstances were somewhat of a relative advantage for young teams compared to 'normal' - I think the opposite is the case when you have a young group with such an abbreviated training camp / preseason, etc.    Not only does it effect Green's ability to work them into systems, but young players also don't tend to have as strong a 'foundation' of fitness, endurance....  So it'll be an interesting set of outlier variables.

That said - special teams rust - which is the primary concern of most - a pivotal factor in the 3 game slide - are not as 'long term' concerns as the balance of youth in the group - so I'm not expecting the season to reflect as strongly on these early games as some folks panicking here might, looking back further down the road this season.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2
6 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I mean Chatfield is only 24 but I guess it’s a little older lol I don’t mind it. Joulevi has been good but it’s always nice to see what the other prospects can do! Plus you wouldn’t scratch any of the other 5 D-men so Joulevi is the only logical choice.

No i mean if he considers Benn !!!

i can live with slotting Chatfield in 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Newell Brown is probably blaming the faulty pucks for the lack of success, as we’re seeing the same units again.

Gotta make sure we DON'T setup Boes or Petey for 1 timers.  Why have our best shooters shoot the puck?  That's so obvious :frantic:

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

No i mean if he considers Benn !!!

i can live with slotting Chatfield in 

Ooh yeah that’d be dumb. I think it’s Chatfield tho cause Benn was practicing as an extra 

1 hour ago, timmylu1 said:

Would be great if Hamonic would stop playing like crap.. 

He was a PTO signing on a cheap 1 yr 1.2m deal who missed training camp. People expecting this guy to show up in his NYI playing form are delusional...There is a reason why he signed for cheap right before camp, his play has dropped off quite a bit last year in Calgary.

49 minutes ago, Wayne Jetski said:

Let’s hope Bo shows it on the ice as well. Enough talk. Time to play & act like a “Captain”. 

Bo has the Sedin type of leadership...quiet and will avoid physical encounters

• Upvote 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 20, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | ESPN+, SNP, TSN2, RDS
  • -Vintage Canuck- unfeatured and unpinned this topic