The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goaltending could be our Achilles Heal

Rate this topic

The King

Hate to say it but I agree and was worried about this. Holtby and Demko are good goalies but they're not elite like Marky was so we don't have someone to cover our system weaknesses.

These last 3 games we have just been getting shelled, especially on the PK where Marky really bailed us out. I thought Schmidt and Hamonic would help out but clearly not.

It's a bit of a shame Demko hasn't regained his peak playoffs form but hopefully that comes out at some point. 

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

The GDT/PGT's are almost unbearable. Knee jerk reaction after knee jerk reaction. When the children go to bed the level headed fans start to post.

We had a phenomenal goalie in Markstrom, but honestly he didn't get tested much against us.

Like others have said the season is young. There have been many teams that start off on the wrong foot and come back. Were 1-3, not 2-9. It's only been 4 games, all on the road.

Dont get me wrong, if this continues then we have a problem... but it is too early to judge. 

As for the OP, I don't think our goaltending has been terrible. We aren't playing great infront of our goalies. The L in Edmonton was the McDavid show. CGY game 1 was Powerplay after powerplay. CGY game 2 was... again powerplay after powerplay. Our issue is not goaltending. Holtby has been fine, and Demko got shelled in both games because of a freak of nature and the players infront of him being undisciplined.

Again, the issues is not the goaltending. Not a fan when the goalie becomes an undeserved scapegoat.

As recently as 2 years ago when the Blues started slow, fired Yeo, hired Berube, then went on to win the Cup. 

• Like 1

Surprised to see this thread - holy crap, goaltending can only take us so far.  If we take undisciplined penalties, PK that can't clear the puck, can't capitalize on PP, can't score 5v5 and can't keep the play in the offensive zone, I'm not sure what goalie is going to look good night after night.  It's a team game, and our goalies are not sieves.  They can only do so much.  The rest of the team needs to get their act together in front of them.  

It will come, it's early in the season.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

6 million for Markstrom short term is fine and deserved. 6 years for a 31 year old is extremely long especially with a NMC.

And we're not going to win any games with a PP that is 0/15 on the season. Special teams is where we'll win and lose games. 

Last contract Benning handed out to a 30+ year old player that was 6 million on a six year term was a disaster.  He’s not about to hand out another.

IMHO, Our Goaltending will be okay, It is special teams and discipline that is our problem right now

Good news - We are home and will get last change and be able to get the matchups we want

Bad news - the next 3 games we are trying to score against . Carey Price and Weber and a big physical defence

Edited by Mackcanuck

7 hours ago, The King said:

We're not winning many games when we give up at least three every game. To think we had a Vezina type goalie in Markstrom just to save 1.5 million. 

7 hours ago, The King said:

We're not winning many games when we give up at least three every game. To think we had a Vezina type goalie in Markstrom just to save 1.5 million. 

You can't blame the goalies??? If you can't score your not going to win many games?

Second period at one point the shots were 16 - 2 ?

The team is not plying with energy or a unit..

I m glad we never signed a  31 year goalie to a  6 yr X 6 million Dollars with NT...Did we not forget the Markstrom when he was 28 ? He would always let in soft goals.. 

I am not worried about the goalies I am more concerned how the team is playing in front of them on coverage and no energy..Last year the team would come back being down 3 goals..They played with high energy, gritty and strong on coverage, hungry for the puck battles..

The last 3 games were sad to watch...

Edited by wildcam
  • Cheers 1

Haven't we already learned our lesson with giving overage goalies long term contracts? I seem to remember this didn't go well for us last time.

Maybe this isn't our year, but maybe this is good for our team to grow. The real question is do we trust management to make the right calls?

Goalies have ups and downs, I am actually not worried at all with Holtby and Demko. 

Im also pretty sure the term and money wasn't the problem with signing Markstrom, it was the NMC, because we would have to lose Demko to Seattle. Given how he played in the playoffs, Benning was probably counting on Demko to be our goalie of the future. 

Now, with our season thus far.... This young team has always had this problem. Some times we go on a roll and score a bunch of goals, some times we are flat with no signs of life. We actually saw this a bunch of times in the regular season last year. We may not even have played the playoffs last season.. 

Let's just wait and see. A bunch of teams have this problem too. In fact, the last 2 stanley cup champions also started out the regular season very poorly. 

Edited by Drakrami

Goaltending hasn't been great outside of Holtby's first game (our only win) but as others have pointed out, right now it's the least of our concerns.

I think the flash and excitement of our young guns over the past couple seasons has blinded people a bit. The only success we've had over this period is when goaltending has absolutely stolen the show. There are many holes on this team, especially defensively, that elite goaltending can mask and whenever we're not getting that out-of-this-world performance from a netminder, we get exposed.

A lot of the aforementioned young guns are not very strong defensively and even our supposed responsible veterans seem to get hemmed into their own zone quite often (the 4th liners have been atrocious so far). Suffice to say... not good.

But, still early. I think this year will show what kind of coach Travis Green is. He'll need to instill some serious discipline and structure for the team to get going. I'm not saying they will but if things continue like they are, Green should absolutely not last the season.

Edited by kanucks25

I wouldn't blame goaltending, simply for the fact that they haven't cost us any games (we deserved to lose the 3 games we did).

Goalies also tend to take longer to get in a groove, especially with no pre-season. Some goalies are affected more by this than others, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now since they have been passable.

Defense has been a mess, we still struggle to get the puck out, but now we're not as set up to combat the barrage of chances in our zone. I think a big issue is the systems, not just in the zone, but transitioning as well.

Obviously 9 goals against through 2 games is not good, but I’ve thought Demko still looks very poised so far. His movements are clean, his positioning’s been good, his new gear larger and better-fitting. 

He still has all the makings of a star netminder, but at this point he has to take charge. Holtby has been slightly better through two games, but he’s clearly slower, smaller, and older between the pipes. We need Demko going or the season will be over real quick.

Sometimes when the Canucks are under pressure I don’t feel they will ever clear the puck . How can you clear the zone when nobody will go to the boards to battle for it. It’s frustrating watching the defensive shell standing in the slot while the other team passes it around and peppers our goalie.

02700651-0026-4E79-B6B4-A3DD0CF86108.jpeg

• Upvote 1