The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Home Stereo Thread

Gurn

What do you have?

What do you recommend?

What are you looking at improving?

Sources:

Audiomeca Romance turntable, with a Raphael tone arm and a Charisma mm103 cartridge

Creek  CD53 disc player

Lovo Think Pad laptop, using Apple's I tunes and a  M2TECH, HiFace Interface.

Dyna Lab  FT101 tuner

Converters/ Phono stage:

P.S. Audio Digital Link

Moon 5.3 Phono Amp

Pre Amp

Celeste PS-5  Power Supply

Celeste P5 Pre-amp

Amps

2 upgraded Antique Sound Labs, Wave 8 amps

2 Wave 8 amps, stock.

Speakers

1 Pair  Altec Lansing  Santanna in cabinets for the base

1 pair of Santannas, using just the front baffle (infinite baffle) with the tweeters disconnected, for the mid range

1 pair EMT/Heil  tweeters.

Inter connects are 

Audio Quest, Yukon everywhere but the turntable 

with Audio Quest  King Cobra for t.t.

Speaker Cable:

Monster cable         to the tweeters

Totem                       to the bass bins                      

Linn                           to the mid range.

Looking at replacing the speaker cables or the laptop/inter face as it is currently NFG. My cat managed to knock the laptop off the shelf  and now it only works from time time, and the interface is questionable/broken  as well.

I highly recommend the Charisma mm-103 cartridge, a huge upgrade on the Denon 103 which was the sire/inspiration for the Charisma. Much better everywhere in the frequency range, depth and width of the soundstage.

• Cheers 1

System 1 

-Marantz receiver (basically as pre/pro other than front height speakers)

-Rotel 5x amplifier

-Energy (when they were still made in Canada) 5x full range speakers.

-SVS cylinder sub powered by Samson amp

-Custom interconnects

-Nvidia Shield as source with media played through Plex (FLAC and high res FLAC for music) from custom unraid server.

System 2 

-Rotel pre/pro

-Harman Kardon 5x amplifier

-Energy 3x speakers

-JBL sub

-Custom interconnects

-Tablet running Plex as source

Would like to add a turntable to system two and perhaps a better source than tablet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My setup is geared a little differently.

Sources:

Nvidia Shield Pro
24TB Plex Server
2 x Technics-1210 mk2
Allen Heath Xone 42 w/ Serato Scratch Live & Hardware
PS4 Pro

Pre Amp / Processor

Denon AVR X4300H

Amps

Emotiva IPS-1 (7x200w @ 4 Ohms)

Speakers

2 Paradigm Studio 100v5 Gloss Black

1 Paradigm Prestige 55c Center
1 Paradigm Studio Sub 15

6 Energy Veritas Mini Surrounds Gloss Black

The idea is to phase out the remaining Energy speakers and replace with more Paradigm.  I may trade the Denon AVR for an Anthem rig or Emotiva.  

As for the dual turn tables, I have a collection of about 400 records from back in the day when I used to DJ.  I play now and then but lately its collecting dust.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Would like to add a turntable to system two and perhaps a better source than tablet.

Goldring, Rega and Pro-ject are good places to start looking for turntables.

Try to get one with a "line contact stylus/needle" . The shape of the needle is more U than V shaped, and gets info from a slightly different area of the record, generally an area that has been played/damaged less than the old traditional V groove.

Always critical to believe your ears and not the sales jingo.

Edit to add.

Talk to Type R-  he might have a spare turntable he isn't using?  :)

Edited by gurn
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My late father-in-law was an audiophile.  He left behind what appears to be a fairly substantial high-fidelity system that my wife only barely knows how to operate in the man cave, and a lesser system in the master bedroom (which we now occupy) with a few components and a couple of decent speakers.

I failed my electrical engineering courses.  Multiple times.  Needless to say I have a bit of an aversion to things involving extensive wiring, and especially things that require specialized knowledge to set up correctly (or risk blowing out circuits).

So, for the novices and uninitiated like myself out there, is there a good resource online or in print that can help me better understand what exactly I have available and how to maintain and operate them so as to not just let them collect dust?  (And maybe once I've got those figured out, how to "improve" or expand upon the system to accommodate other inputs?)

Free to join, bulletin board, allows you to sell and buy from other members; but most importantly has a chat forum with multiple threads on audio subjects.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/                                  check out "Forums", couple on inches down the page and on the right.

Also these guys   http://uhfmag.com/    have been in business for decades( like 30  plus years).

They have a free advice section and a free hi-fi course  http://www.uhfmag.com/book1.html.

I've written into UHF and had my letter published, so I guess I'm an author now?

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

My speakers are the best speakers. They were made by the greatest manufacturers in all the world, possibly the entire universe. They're YUGE!

As long as they sound the best to you, that is all that matters.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The other thing I need to sort out is a low level, ground loop or interference hum on system 1. The Rotel amp I have (which is otherwise very good) is notorious for being sensitive to them... and I have one.

Oh no.

That can be a very simple thing or something that will really, really, really annoy you..

Check all your two prong power plugs, sometimes just reversing  a certain plug, if it fits, can fix the hum. 

Loose or almost broken wire in your RCA connectors/cables can be a problem as well, usually by the fitted ends. Gently, and at low volume, try to move the wire up and down and side to side. The noise may go away or get worse, but at least you will know if it is a cable issue.

You may find just plugging the amp into a different receptacle, even in the same duplex plug will do the trick. Sometimes electricians don't wire all the plugs the same way and  the two non ground wires end up on the wrong prong.

not related to hum, but to improving the sound, I unplug all my power cables and RCA about every 6 months or so. After plugging it all back in it may help the sound, as you have "cleaned" the corrosion/oxidization off the leads and are getting cleaner power and signal. You might be surprised just how helpful putting hospital grade orange "Hubbell"  power receptacles into your wall is to the sound.

23 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I went hard to the paint with Sonos (arcs, beams, ones as surrounds etc.) I really enjoy it. Whole home turns into the arena on game days. 

Nothing compared to what you guys have but it sure fits me nicely. 

I've been adding equipment and changing this and that for 40 years. :)

Started out with a Lloyds portable tape deck with a fm/am tuner section.

Thing is to enjoy what you have, and when it sounds good to you, that is a fine place to stop; at least for awhile.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Oh no.

That can be a very simple thing or something that will really, really, really annoy you..

Check all your two prong power plugs, sometimes just reversing  a certain plug, if it fits, can fix the hum. 

Loose or almost broken wire in your RCA connectors/cables can be a problem as well, usually by the fitted ends. Gently, and at low volume, try to move the wire up and down and side to side. The noise may go away or get worse, but at least you will know if it is a cable issue.

You may find just plugging the amp into a different receptacle, even in the same duplex plug will do the trick. Sometimes electricians don't wire all the plugs the same way and  the two non ground wires end up on the wrong prong.

not related to hum, but to improving the sound, I unplug all my power cables and RCA about every 6 months or so. After plugging it all back in it may help the sound, as you have "cleaned" the corrosion/oxidization off the leads and are getting cleaner power and signal. You might be surprised just how helpful putting hospital grade orange "Hubbell"  power receptacles into your wall is to the sound.

In our old house, I had dedicated 20 amp lines installed for my amps (Rotel and Samson) when we got our panel replaced... It was glorious.

I have a feeling it may potentially be caused by noise from my lighting control system (I have a 6500k backlight behind the Samsung 60" plasma that turns on automatically with the TV) too... No idea how I'd fix that :lol: 

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In our old house, I had dedicated 20 amp lines installed for my amps (Rotel and Samson) when we got our panel replaced... It was glorious.

I have a feeling it may potentially be caused by noise from my lighting control system (I have a 6500k backlight behind the Samsung 60" plasma that turns on automatically with the TV) too... No idea how I'd fix that :lol: 

noise suppressors may work for you.

I went to a Richard Gray power supply/power bar. It uses one plug but has 4 outlets, helped clean up the sound during the days, when the neighbour is using high voltage electrical equipment.

46 minutes ago, gurn said:

I've been adding equipment and changing this and that for 40 years. :)

Started out with a Lloyds portable tape deck with a fm/am tuner section.

Thing is to enjoy what you have, and when it sounds good to you, that is a fine place to stop; at least for awhile.

At least for a while is no joke. I was a Bose guy for years. Not even sure why I switched, but glad I did. Sonos offers a tech level I didn't know existed. I can play the same song to every speaker in the entire house with the click of the app. 

Good thread idea OP, here is my question:

what are your thoughts on soundbars? We had a cheap onkyo setup but the amp bit the dust and with kid on the way the wife wanted to remove the wires and floor speakers and has suggested to me that we get a soundbar...

so are they worth getting? How much you got to spend to get something decent? Wired or wireless connection?

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Good thread idea OP, here is my question:

what are your thoughts on soundbars? We had a cheap onkyo setup but the amp bit the dust and with kid on the way the wife wanted to remove the wires and floor speakers and has suggested to me that we get a soundbar...

so are they worth getting? How much you got to spend to get something decent? Wired or wireless connection?

Wired is always better if you can. And sound bars are never going to compete with a proper surround system.

Heck, even a decent quality 2.1 (or 3.1 if you watch a lot of TV/movies) system with minimal wires/floor space will be miles ahead of most sound bars and shouldn't cause a wife too much angst. But different wives have different acceptability for such things :lol:

Next best thing would be an in ceiling/wall system. They're visually minimally intrusive, the wires are all hidden etc. You still get most of the sound quality but those components tend to be more expensive and clearly require more work/cost to install (cutting/repairing drywall, running wires, possible electrical work for powered speakers etc).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1