The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Home Stereo Thread

Gurn

16 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I have a set of vintage  Bose 201 speakers that are about 30+ years old back when Bose made quality speakers.

Did you mean 501 speakers?

Some of those Klipch speakers are really good sounding. I'm partial to the Cornwalls and Matterhorns myself.

Oh great topic OP!   Not a lot of people have an appreciation for A/V

my set up:

Arcam 750

oppo bluray 

Tannoy Precision 6.4/center 6c

tannoy reads/surround 

paradigm 12” sub 

panamax power management 

sonos cube (connected to arcam)

and various Sonos players around the house

Tv is a tad bit outdated 65” Panasonic.   I want to upgrade but figured it may be cheaper going projector?

**also side note:  I highly recommend installing those led lights that glow behind the tv.  It really isn’t just for looks.  It adds depth amd less strain on the eyes**

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Great sound, and great visuals, well done. A couple of days a month, just after payday, I think about getting one of those.

Honestly, there’s so many options to this thing , I still haven’t utilized all of the features.   

I love it though 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This machine:

Sanyo Boombox Am FM CD Dual Cassette Player Recorder mcd S800 Huge Boombox

was my very first self-bought "home stereo".  Lasted me a good two decades as an enjoyable audio system, it did - before the latch on the cd compartment broke.  I was still able to use it as a radio (reception wasn't great though), but it didn't come with me during my most recent move.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, my sophistication with audio equipment (especially if extensive wiring and connections are involved) is like... zero.  :lol:

Totally looking forward to diving into those links provided earlier.  (Thanks again!)

Not home stereo but this reminds me of when I got my first car, a used ‘70 Pontiac Sprint. When I saved enough money I bought a Craig Powerplay 8track , premium at the time! Occasionally you’d have to shove a matchbook into to keep it from double-tracking. Slide down low in the seat, put a one-handed stiff arm on the wheel, pop in some Slade or Kraftwerk Autobahn and go driving. My home audio equipment now is light years better but nothing ever sounded finer than that! At least that’s the way I remember it...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not home stereo but this reminds me of when I got my first car, a used ‘70 Pontiac Sprint. When I saved enough money I bought a Craig Powerplay 8track , premium at the time! Occasionally you’d have to shove a matchbook into to keep it from double-tracking. Slide down low in the seat, put a one-handed stiff arm on the wheel, pop in some Slade or Kraftwerk Autobahn and go driving. My home audio equipment now is light years better but nothing ever sounded finer than that! At least that’s the way I remember it...

Sitting at the top of a hill in North Saanich, sunroof open and sea tilted back. Listening to Pink Floyd till the battery died. Roll down the hill, pop the clutch, and drive home.

Nakamichi td500, 3 Coustic amps, some Boston Acoustics 797 3 way speakers and a pair of 8 inch Bazooka subs.

Couple of weeks later enter a competition out at Juan De Fuca Rec Center, place 2nd. Hit 128 db, got smoked by a guy named Morey and his Datsun King Cab. Dude had tractor batteries in the box to keep his system juiced. He hit 140 db at that contest. 2, 15 inch subs, one behind each seat.  

Great subs, I bought one of his and my bff got the other.

Still have the sub and the tape deck.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Plus 1 for the tune selection....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Got myself the Denon AVR-S720W along with the Sony SSCS speakers.

But I have no idea how to really set things up.  

Vocals way too light, but background a bit too loud. 

Overall... still way better than just TV speakers.  

Try moving the speakers a little bit.

Tow in or out to begin with, then closer or further from the walls.

A little bit can make a big difference.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Got myself the Denon AVR-S720W along with the Sony SSCS speakers.

But I have no idea how to really set things up.  

Vocals way too light, but background a bit too loud. 

Overall... still way better than just TV speakers.  

Have you ran the audyssey setup using the microphone yet?  That's your first step.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:27 AM, sassbs said:

You guys think it may be a better buy to go projector with a nice screen or spend the same amount on a 75” tv?

A little out of my field/interest however:

The lighting and room dimension can be a factor.

Can you set up the projector at the manufactures recommended height and distance from the viewing surface?

The light in the room can drain away the  picture.

If you are setting up a t.v. or projector for that matter; always start in black and white. This will get you the best picture you can, before adding colour.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Have you ran the audyssey setup using the microphone yet?  That's your first step.

Yeah, I did that.  

But with lots of clutter (toddler play area), maybe it's affecting it?

Also, some shows have good vocals, some shows where I can barely hear them.  Maybe it's an issue from the source?

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Yeah, I did that.  

But with lots of clutter (toddler play area), maybe it's affecting it?

Also, some shows have good vocals, some shows where I can barely hear them.  Maybe it's an issue from the source?

If it's not from the source, that sounds more like an equalization issue to me. This would make sense since different singers have different fundamental frequencies making some sound louder than others if a particular frequency is equalized louder or quieter.

You could try and download an SPL meter app on your phone to check and see what frequencies are being picked up more than others if equalization is an option for you.

Quick Edit: If you do try the SPL meter, you'll also want to use a test tone with it. That way you'll be able to more accurately see the results.

Edited by The Lock

On 31/01/2021 at 12:27 AM, sassbs said:

You guys think it may be a better buy to go projector with a nice screen or spend the same amount on a 75” tv?

Unless you have complete control of lighting (black out curtains) etc, just get a TV.

Unless it's in a REALLY bright room, I'd go with an OLED set.