The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks enter player loan agreement with Manitoba Moose

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

What a throwback. Good times.

Good decision for practical reasons really. We still have access to our taxi squad and if for some crazy reason we have enough injuries that merit it, we have quicker access to AHL players.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

It's a good move.  Allows for more flexibility and shorter quarantines.  And with sharing the Comets with the Blues, there was probably a bit of a log jam in Utica.

I haven’t been keeping up with the news...reason we’re sharing with the Blues?  Not enough AHL clubs operating because of pandemic?

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I haven’t been keeping up with the news...reason we’re sharing with the Blues?  Not enough AHL clubs operating because of pandemic?

Exactly.

Three AHL teams opted out of this season entirely.

EDIT:  I had to look up which ones.  It was Charlotte (Florida), Milwaukee (Nashville) and Springfield (St. Louis).

Edited by goalie13
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

What a throwback. Good times.

Good decision for practical reasons really. We still have access to our taxi squad and if for some crazy reason we have enough injuries that merit it, we have quicker access to AHL players.

Notice that the players being loaned are a forward, defense and a goalie?  They have their angles covered.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Makes a lot of sense. Nice to have that Moose connection again, if only for a little while.

Oh no, those guys will fall in love with Winnipeg and all jump ship to the Jets

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm confused as to why we don't negotiate for Abbotsford again?  That way they'd literally only be an hour away as opposed to needing to fly in.

Costs.  All 3 Canadian teams with affiliates in the US have decided against relocating because it would be far too expensive to relocate for the season.  

There’s also no team in close vicinity which adds travel and hotel costs to go and play games.  In Utica they bus for the majority of games and players get to sleep at home.  It gives also more practice time.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Costs.  All 3 Canadian teams with affiliates in the US have decided against relocating because it would be far too expensive to relocate for the season.  

There’s also no team in close vicinity which adds travel and hotel costs to go and play games.  In Utica they bus for the majority of games and players get to sleep at home.  It gives also more practice time.

Ah I see.  I haven't been keeping up, so has the AHL been planning to play this year?  It seems like an unfair advantage that Toronto (Toronto), Ottawa (Belleville), and Montreal (Laval) can have their farm team in such close proximity, when the Heat had already gotten moved down to Arizona.  Wouldn't it help with tickets if, on an off night in the NHL, the team in Abbotsford could be within an hour's drive so that fans could catch games during regular times?  Also would think it costs more to jet players in and out in a city all the way across the continent.