The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL fines Capitals $100,000 for violating COVID protocols

Rate this topic

29 minutes ago, kesler_sedins said:

Just curious aren't the players already interacting with each other during the game without a mask on? How is that different than interacting in a hotel room?

I think it's too minimize unnecessary contact when possible.
If a positive player is on the ice, there's no guarantee he will infect someone else. But there's a high chance that positive player could pass it to someone else if they're hanging out together in a room. 
There's no guarantee there will be infections in either case, but why not eliminate the latter if it's not necessary to the game?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kesler_sedins said:

Just curious aren't the players already interacting with each other during the game without a mask on? How is that different than interacting in a hotel room?

Exactly why this is a joke. 

I get they are supposed to be role models but they are all in each other's bubble. Common sense should mean they arent fined but hey the league needs to make up for lost revenue somehow 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Should be some player suspensions too. :P I wonder how many other teams might have been doing this and saw this today Lol.

They will probably clean up their act if they were breaking these protocols. It's disappointing seeing a captain and leader like Ovi being the vodka ring leader.

Edited by Rush17
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

I like it. NHL not clowning around with this thing

Ain't no one clowning around here. . . 

Ovie_original.jpg?1277784967

Jokes aside, I can see why the NHL is clamping down on their protocols as it has the potential to jeopardize their entire season. There is probably more to the story than just the Russians hanging out in their hotel room... I mean, how did they get caught in the first place? hahaha

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I could understand if they had visitors or went out for a quick bite.... but they were already in the same bubble with each other.  

If they just chatted in the locker room, that would be deemed okay?  

Maybe they could have floated out some loopholes beforehand, not after being caught breaking rules they agreed to follow?

9 hours ago, EmilyM said:

I think it's too minimize unnecessary contact when possible.
If a positive player is on the ice, there's no guarantee he will infect someone else. But there's a high chance that positive player could pass it to someone else if they're hanging out together in a room. 
There's no guarantee there will be infections in either case, but why not eliminate the latter if it's not necessary to the game?

All the protocols are just "tools", not solutions. So many people seem to believe that if one thing works, than the other isn't necessary, and otherwise the one thing must not be working. But, they are a sum of parts, all lifting the overall efficacy of implementing all protocols.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Exactly why this is a joke. 

I get they are supposed to be role models but they are all in each other's bubble. Common sense should mean they arent fined but hey the league needs to make up for lost revenue somehow 

How is it a joke?  They knowingly violated a protocol that their own union agreed to.  It's not like the league suddenly decided that this get together was a bad idea.

Just ask the Denver Broncos what can happen when players meet together like that.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

How is it a joke?  They knowingly violated a protocol that their own union agreed to.  It's not like the league suddenly decided that this get together was a bad idea.

Just ask the Denver Broncos what can happen when players meet together like that.

I get it. Rules are rules but in my opinion these rules are a big joke.

But hey if it's the only way we can watch hockey then I guess it is what it is.

I love ovis half assed apology. Glad to see some celebrities havent completely lost their minds 

• Cheers 1