The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

The curious case of Jake Virtanen.

Jake got a chance to shine in OT yesterday and he made two obvious blunders. For one, he threw the puck and gave possession away when the team was going off on a change. It’s not rocket science to wait for the players to come on, or throw it back into your zone so you maintain possession of the puck.

Secondly, he had a two on one chance where he EASILY could’ve blown past the tired defender for a breakaway. Instead, in usual Jake fashion, he decides to go in with speed and slow down.

Do the coaches go over game tape with him? I mean this guy has these types of chances every game and he pisses them away.

2 steps forward and 3 steps back every season...

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gassy Jack said:

CARDS_2020_BROCK.jpg.fd968b7e423d4ee63dcfc1dfc6a155eb.jpg

The ayatollah of BROCK N ROLLA! Love this. Wish I could give it a Brocky reaction! Sedinery will do! 

LONG LIVE BROCK N ROLL! Bow down to the ayatollah!! :lol:

Wish i knew how to edit gifs and could put brockys face on Y2J... And maybe price as HhH! But just do it yourselves with your imagination :P

chris jericho wrestling GIF by WWE

46 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:
"So, if you ask me why I like the way I play
There's only one thing I can say to you
I wanna brock!(Brock!)
I wanna brock!(Brock!)
I wanna brock!(Brock!)
I wanna brock!(Brock!)"

The Brock star is back!

28 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

It’s peteys turn to light it up tonight. He needs that confidence back. If Petey goes full beast mode tonight he will get a Hatty 

I think Petey will break out tonight too. He's too good to be shut down too long. And it's not like he's been playing bad... just unlucky.  Boeser and Miller have been scoring, so will Petey. It starts tonight!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Team looked overall better yesterday in most respects except for D.  That was horrendous.  I'm talking mostly about team D rather than particular individuals or the Dmen specifically.  It's encouraging to see the team get more in sync, but they need to get in sync on D even faster.  It looks like they're still figuring out communication as there was a play in OT where Holtby stopped the puck and everyone seemed to think he was going to cover it for a whistle but then he played it and the puck was very nearly stolen by MTL.

Some have mentioned that the last couple seasons saw Markstrom bail the team out on chances after giveaways, but last night was particularly bad.  Don't get me wrong, Markstrom played lights out for the Canucks for the last two seasons, but even then there were enough games where the Canucks D was much better than they were last night.  I think Holtby did fine, all things considered, and he did his part in OT and the shootout.

In terms of specific players, Boeser was flying all night.  Miller and Horvat looked dialed in (which you could really tell in the shootout).  Pettersson looked fine though it seems like his timing is still a bit off (notwithstanding his attempted move on Price).  I think this was a game where Schmidt really showed how reliable of a D he is  Nothing flashy this game, just solid D that helped the team move the puck forward consistently.  I thought Chatfield had a very good game.  Made good decisions pretty much all game.  I can see why management likes him.

Hamonic looks like he needs more time.  That 1st Toffoli goal was entirely because he abandoned his position to come over and defend Quinn.  While I don't necessarily think defending Quinn is a bad thing, it didn't necessarily feel like a situation that warranted it and it cost the team a goal against.

Personally, if Edler and Hamonic are indeed out for tonight's game, then I think this could be a blessing in disguise.  Yes, they are probably the most physical D, but I think the team has to give Juolevi a chance to play through mistakes if only to see what they have in him.  I assume Rafferty will draw in if Hamonic is out so it will be good to see him in NHL action too.

quinn hughes was "watch from the press box bad" last night.  Obviously he won't be, but he needs to figure it out, pronto

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Jake got a chance to shine in OT yesterday and he made two obvious blunders. For one, he threw the puck and gave possession away when the team was going off on a change. It’s not rocket science to wait for the players to come on, or throw it back into your zone so you maintain possession of the puck.

Secondly, he had a two on one chance where he EASILY could’ve blown past the tired defender for a breakaway. Instead, in usual Jake fashion, he decides to go in with speed and slow down.

Do the coaches go over game tape with him? I mean this guy has these types of chances every game and he pisses them away.

again, he was trying ot ring the puck around the boards to the fsar side where the player coming off on a change could pick it up.  It was a good idea, just bad execution.  I'd rather him turn the puck over there than throwing it into the middle of into the nzone on a 3 v 3.  Wasn't an ideal play, but wasn't a big deal either.

• Thanks 1

-This is a big game for Demko tonight. He has had a rough start to the year so far.

- I'd like to see Hawlyruk in there tonight/soon

- I think we need Benn in there on D if Hamonic/Edler are out.  

-I think Chatfield stays in for the balance of the 3 game vs the Habs, but hope Rafferty/Rathbone get e look against the Sens.

Edited by BCNate

1 minute ago, Monteeun said:

As unfortunate as this season format may be, we have to accept that the first 10 games is basically pre-season. So there are definitely going to be a lot of frustrating nights.

I'll feel pretty good about things if we come out of the first 10 games at .500.  Sets us up in the middle of the pack and we can build from there.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

again, he was trying ot ring the puck around the boards to the fsar side where the player coming off on a change could pick it up.  It was a good idea, just bad execution.  I'd rather him turn the puck over there than throwing it into the middle of into the nzone on a 3 v 3.  Wasn't an ideal play, but wasn't a big deal either.

What I saw as a VERY soft dump in - basically straight to the other team's players. His teammates were barely on the ice when it occurred so to me, I highly doubt it was an attempt to ring it around. Anyone got footage of the OT? :P

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

I burst out laughing in OT there when Jake come down the right wing with the puck and just went down behind the net and circled up the other wall like he always does. Even in 3on3 that's his move. He's like Zoolander.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Strange that I trust Chatfield more than Hamonic. Jalen played really well, and I guess Hamonic still needs time to get up to speed.

Cover Toffoli = win game. Easy. B) 

Boeser showing Petey how it's done

Hamonic sucks

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

quinn hughes was "watch from the press box bad" last night.  Obviously he won't be, but he needs to figure it out, pronto

Yes, it was pretty bad.  It may have been Quinn's worst game for the Canucks.  The Canadiens were dialed in on playing him physically and while he seemed to take it in stride, he also didn't seem to be as quick with avoiding the hits as he was last year which limited his effectiveness.  That control is a key part of his game.  He's still producing so it can be easy to ignore this part of his game right now, but I agree with you that there's something he, like many others on the team, needs to figure out.