The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Can a concussion be diagnosed that fast?

Why does it always seem like Canucks concussions aren't known till 1-2 days later?

I'm not saying Julien is lying but I think this diagnosis was rushed so that it was known before the DOPS contacted Myers

Probably Dr. Recchi doing the diagnosis for Claude

• Upvote 1

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

Or its the best year for it. Our D isn't good enough to win anyways. Let's get another high pick, and sign Hughes and Petey for a little less (even just 0.5-1 million less per year per player). 

I was speaking from Petey's perspective. As a player you'd want a good payday. 

From ours it's not since we can get a cheaper deal but it is a little concerning.

4 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Why does it always seem like Canucks concussions aren't known till 1-2 days later?

I'm not saying Julien is lying but I think this diagnosis was rushed so that it was known before the DOPS contacted Myers

Concussions are weird. Sometimes they're immediately obvious, and sometimes symptoms appear after days. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Anyone know what else is wrong with Pettersson?

Ever since hes gotten into COD and other FPS online gaming, hes been slopping and playing very poorly ;) Gaming is bad for your career .

And if he doesnt improve this year, good news for us, is his new contract wont be as much as if he played nutty all season

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Whatever the Department of Player Safety decides, whether they give a supplemental discipline or not, there won't be a consensus between everyone. The part that makes it subjective is the way it's seen through different angles and how it's perceived. From one angle, it doesn't look as clear cut, but on the other angle, it looks like the principle point of contact was the head. In the end, I'm going say it will be 1-2 games.

This is spot on. The angle that shows the chest clearly shows it was a clean hit. The angle that you can’t see the chest because Myers is in the way doesn’t show the chest first contact. Funny that. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Horvat's a beast. I agree lotto line (led by those 2) had some good shifts tonight. 

Chatfield was really good, now out of course. Juolevi knows how to play but he's still being sheltered. He's adjusting to the NHL (understandably) & mobility is still a question.

As a team we've been horrible. Backbreaking turnovers, sloppy passing, bad special teams & brutal defensive structure basically every single game. Things that are correctable, yet we haven't been able to correct them. And our stars aren't playing well enough to keep us afloat - now we are ravaged with injuries. 

Not the best set of circumstances but we're use to this. Might be rough after what was a tease last year but we'll survive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Canucks once announced Baertschi’s during the game itself.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

The team last season was a very tight group. They played their hearts out and the rallied for one another. Marky, Tanev, Stecher were all very popular guys in the room along with Bo, Boeser and Miller. Toffoli may be a late addition, but he fit in with this group so well and the team really likes him well. In the playoffs in the Edmonton bubble, I have never seen a team this tight together and they were definitely all punching above their weight class.

This offseason due to cap reasons, we have to let go of all key players from last season and replace them with new comers in Holtby, Schmidt and Hamonic. Meanwhile, I don't doubt our new players are great people too, but this sort of chemistry takes time to develop. Let's be honest here, I still am not use to not seeing Markstrom, Tanev or Stecher on the team. Although, I do agree with the team not matching Calgary's contracts to keep Markstrom and Tanev, however, I still think they could've done better in retaining Stecher, Toffoli and Leivo.

I have said it in previous posts that I am most disappointed at this off-season because we didn't even bring back a single pending UFA. If I were in Benning's shoes, I would've done what I can (even if it means giving up some assets) to move out Beagle, Roussel, Sutter or Benn (as I know Eriksson and Baertchi are impossible). Or we could be more creative to cheat the cap by advising certain players to get a surgery done to fix their shoulder or leg so we can put them on the LTIR for atleast 1 full season (most professional atheletes have accumulate enough injuries in their career that they can probably get a doctor to sign off on a surgery).

Also to note, we our record against Canadian teams are absolutely horrendous last season. We are 5-10-0 against Canadian teams and 31-17-6 against American teams. Regarding Pettersson's current slump, last year, in 15 GP against Canadian teams, Pettersson only had 2 points, both came against Ottawa (1G-1A). I double checked to make sure, he only had 2 points against Canadian teams in 15 GP. It looks like this dry spell continued on with him this year. The bad news is, we don't get to play any other American teams unless we make it to the Conference Finals so Pettersson will have to snap out of this himself.

Not going to lie, when I heard rumours of an All-Canadian Division, I was worried because I was aware of our record against Canadian teams last season. I was actually secretly hoping the Provincial Governments to not allow hockey to be played so all 7 Canadian teams will just have to play in Arenas in the States (don't flame me, this is all just Canucks first thinking). I hinted the idea of rather Canucks to play their games in the states on Canucks reddit, and holy, I was heavily downvoted like I committed treason.

In reality, I feel like whatever could go wrong had gone wrong from the off-season to return to play. I just hope the team still play games with pride the rest of the way. I look forward for some lottery ball luck and get us a top 3 pick so we can draft Luke Hughes to the team.

Not trying to be a downer, but I just think it is time to let reality settle in. I am not even going to bring up the poor contracts and the cap, because this topic is beaten to death. Seattle Expansion is a blessing in disguise, I would expose every single one of our overpaid veterans and see Seattle will just pick one out of the bunch. My feeling is Seattle either picks off Holtby or they may just pick out an AHLer to avoid getting into a cap problem.

We should be in a much better place cap wise next season. Pettersson and Hughes poor performance this year could mean we get cheaper bridge deals out of them and we can start building towards a contender as soon as next season. In the end, this season is going to be 3 months, so short term pain for long term gain.

Great Post !

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Could it be 10+ games for Myers?

I mean as much as that wouldn’t be great short-term that would be the end of contact to players who have their heads down so Petey could just look down and  light it up with impunity. Might be worth it

• Upvote 1

Also the team was to used to marky saving there hides night after night, there was nights marky only let in 2-4 goals but had 50+ shots against him, thats the thing now, we dont hvae a marky type goalie, so for now we will have these similar games with our current goalies

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, 1-d said:

You must move your feet and skate hard first, to forecheck and force turnovers.

We only have a few guys who are trying and you aren't one of them, Sutter.

Sutter's is playing his last year in pro hockey.   He's turned into a cork out there just floating around dragging his stick with one hand and knuckle dragging the other.    Such a sad sight.

• Vintage 1

Just now, drdeath said:

They diagnose Ferland with one before he even tries to dress when he tries to make a comeback  :(

We could defs use a Ferland. At least it would make things a bit more entertaining having a physical leader.

Unfortunate. Hope the best for him.