The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, EmilyM said:

I used to blame a lot of that on the schedule/west coast travel, but now that there's more travel parity than ever before, I just can't explain why we're so cursed.

Tax, deaths and Canucks D injuries are...

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

NF  Way!  This team regressed 5 years after letting go of out top goalie, most dependable D-Man (when he's not injured), and letting a once in a decade "catch" ( Tofolli) walk out while keeping guys like "Deadwood' Sutter and Erikson to clog everything up instead of buying them out.  Now look at this team!   A total screw-up by Management and worthy of some heads rolling.!

Sutter and Eriksson's buyouts were pretty insignificant though if I recall. Baer was our best buyout option if I remember correctly. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

He is a great puck mover, but his defensive game isn't anywhere near Tanev's.

When we let go of Tanev, we actually didn't replace him.

People saying we replaced Tanev with Schmidt don't know what they are saying.

Tanev, along with Edler, brought a lot of value to the team and that's going to be nearly impossible to replace. As great as Hughes is, Tanev and Edler have been the cornerstones of this team's defence. Now Tanev is gone and Edler is injured. 

We just gave Calgary, not one, but two gifts to solve their woes.

Yup. We should revisit the schmidt thread where a bunch a floosies called Schmidt a steal for a number 2 dman.  We lost the heart and soul of our defense and replaced him with a guy who is only good at making outlet passes. (Though 6 games in theres zero evidence of that at all)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I disagree with your premise. 

Bailey, (whom I like but isn't in the linup), Boeser, Ferland, Hoglander, Horvat, Miller, Motte, Pettersson, Sutter, Virtanen, Benn, Edler (even though I don't personally like him), Hughes, Joulevi, Myers, Schmidt, Holtby

THat is 16 players that are arguably together, above mediocre by a fair margin. If i go look at the minors i could find another handful to round out a team. Demko is good too, but listing him as good with this particular game is a losing argument, haha...

So yeah, we are 2 and 3 to start the season, looks likely to be 2 and 4, but stranger things have happened in the third, right? No waiving the towel just yet. 

I honestly believe folks who are freaking out right now will be in stunned awe in the 22-23 season. It takes games like this in every players history to build the guts to get to game 7, SCF, 2011. 

; )

I think Sutter, Benn, Virtanen and Myers are Mediocre. I don’t want to touch on Ferland and I’ll let you have Bailey. Motte and Juolevi are a dime a dozen. It kind of thins out your list but too each their own.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I used to blame a lot of that on the schedule/west coast travel, but now that there's more travel parity than ever before, I just can't explain why we're so cursed.

I blame a lot of the injuries on the style they play. Or should I say , the lack of one.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli all lighting it up with their new teams.

Meanwhile, we're out here giving up 5 goals every night with the "adequate replacements" that Mr. Benning acquired.

Makes you wonder...

You go do a better job than my dad Jim.

Smh