The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

• The Vancouver Canucks have a very interesting relationship with Russian defenseman Nikita Tryamkin, who is still playing in the KHL despite a long negotiation last year. The 26-year-old defender is still technically a restricted free agent and can only sign with the Canucks if he chooses to return to the NHL. Now, Rick Dhaliwal of TSN gives an update on the situation and spoke with Yekaterinburg executive Maxim Ryabkov, who expressed how much Tryamkin has improved in the last year, even calling him “one of the best defensemen in the KHL.” The 6’7″ behemoth pairs incredible size with excellent skating ability to shut down rushes and move the puck quickly. If he is not signed this offseason, Tryamkin can actually become an unrestricted free agent after the 2021-22 season.”

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Do You guys think that without fans the players aren’t being held accountable? Fans put so much emotion into the game but without them Do you think there are players who think it’s no big deal?

There were no fans in the playoffs and they got to the second round. I think the biggest problem is lack of depth. We lost a lot of quality second tier support players this offseason and didn’t fully replaced them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Me_ said:

• The Vancouver Canucks have a very interesting relationship with Russian defenseman Nikita Tryamkin, who is still playing in the KHL despite a long negotiation last year. The 26-year-old defender is still technically a restricted free agent and can only sign with the Canucks if he chooses to return to the NHL. Now, Rick Dhaliwal of TSN gives an update on the situation and spoke with Yekaterinburg executive Maxim Ryabkov, who expressed how much Tryamkin has improved in the last year, even calling him “one of the best defensemen in the KHL.” The 6’7″ behemoth pairs incredible size with excellent skating ability to shut down rushes and move the puck quickly. If he is not signed this offseason, Tryamkin can actually become an unrestricted free agent after the 2021-22 season.”

outside talent evaluation,  Benning will pretty much eff up everything else.  I have total faith he will f this up too.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

16 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I didn't mention Tryamkin in my post... why hasn't Benning signed him?

Considering the problems the current defense corps has there is no excuse not to give him a shot.

Maybe they are so far up CAP hell alley they can't.

Ever thought why would he want to play for the Canucks if the team is this lousy? And maybe he doesn't think Green is much of an upgrade over Willie?

Or maybe he's just happy to be in Russia with his wife? 

• Wat 1

20 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Do You guys think that without fans the players aren’t being held accountable? Fans put so much emotion into the game but without them Do you think there are players who think it’s no big deal?

Every team is going through the same thing, using situations as excuses is deflecting from the real problem(s). Other teams have no problem getting up for games. When one or two players suck that’s on them, when a whole team sucks that’s on the coaching. We’re 50 years in, enough excuses, even the Flames have a Cup.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Wat 2

1 hour ago, drdeath said:

It’s not clean it’s a very borderline hit because Myers unnecessarily elevates into Armia.
If Myers doesn’t elevate but every other detail occurs the same Armia still probably has a concussion and it shouldn’t even be a minor penalty and absolutely no conversation of supplementary discipline. 

The head was the primary point of contact and Myers hit Armia with his shoulder.  Also, Myers skates left the ice (he jumped).  I expect Myers to get a game or two suspension (maybe more depending on his past history).

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Eh I kind of prepared myself for us taking a step back. Not this much of one but still.

If there's anytime to have a reset year this is it. Give it 4-6 more games and if we are still bad then bite the bullet.

Pearson, Hamonic, Benn, Sutter could net us a decent return. Since Canadian teams don't want to wait for quarantine they could trade with us. Maybe start a bidding war to make sure other teams within the division don't get anything from us.

If Edler is willing to go he'd net us a lot.

Lots of possibilities.

I wish I was as optimistic as you.  Unless we trade Jake or somebody in our top 6, I don't see a significant return that will make a difference.  Also, we can't afford to trade a D man - obviously (i.e. the injuries).  I don't think we'd get much for Edler given his age and injury history - he's got a NTC anyway but not a NMC.  The Kraken might take Edler next year but they'd probably want younger D or forwards.  

We gave up too many assets in the off-season and I was peeved when we couldn't sign Toffoli - esp after what he signed for in Montreal (probably, due to ownership's financial concerns).  He's a natural sniper.  We should have signed Stecher too for the depth and that would've been a low cost contract.  I liked the Holtby and Schmidt signings.  I expect this year to be a step back, unfortunately.  We'll be lucky if we make the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe Gaudette should change his jersey number? 

I think a number under 35 would be more appropriate.  Like the kid but he's not a 96 type player and I note that Bure had that number one year in Van.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I didn't mention Tryamkin in my post... why hasn't Benning signed him?

Considering the problems the current defense corps has there is no excuse not to give him a shot.

Maybe they are so far up CAP hell alley they can't.

He is under contract in the KHL right now, we can't sign him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, sockeye said:

I wish I was as optimistic as you.  Unless we trade Jake or somebody in our top 6, I don't see a significant return that will make a difference.  Also, we can't afford to trade a D man - obviously (i.e. the injuries).  I don't think we'd get much for Edler given his age and injury history - he's got a NTC anyway but not a NMC.  The Kraken might take Edler next year but they'd probably want younger D or forwards.  

We gave up too many assets in the off-season and I was peeved when we couldn't sign Toffoli - esp after what he signed for in Montreal (probably, due to ownership's financial concerns).  He's a natural sniper.  We should have signed Stecher too for the depth and that would've been a low cost contract.  I liked the Holtby and Schmidt signings.  I expect this year to be a step back, unfortunately.  We'll be lucky if we make the playoffs.

I try to be neutral and open-minded. Always looking forward. This season we had a lot of question marks. We didn't know how the losses and additions would be. We had preexisting issues that needed to be solved(like team D) and nothing hasn't really turned out well. Hughes and Petey are struggling, especially Petey. On one side that's good from a contractual sense and on another it is a cause for concern. We have no choice but to grind it out. 

Edler is exempt from the Expansion due to him being a UFA. If Edler was willing to go I feel like he'd get good return, nothing crazy. He's a top 4 Dman who could matchup against top opposition with the right partner and can still play 20+. Our D is even in worse shambles right now without him, which says a lot since we've been bad with him.Our Division lacks D overall save for MTL and maybe the Flames. Even then if one Canadian team is interested, another might not want to see a division rival get an upgrade they could use. It could make for a sellers market maybe.

That said I can definitely see him just staying till he retires. I wouldn't have an issue either way.

If things keep up like this for the next 4-6 games then we should definitely look to sell. Stock up on picks. I wouldn't expect any trades to happen till like March though.

42 shots agaonst, 17 for

This Canucks team is playing like a bottom feeder.

I'm almost cheering for Toff scoring 5 goals in 2 games, hope he puts up 5 the next game. If we signed Toffoli for 4M and got rid of Virtanen's useless 2M + Benn we'd have ourselves a proper player. He's coming into his prime now, you just know it.

This defence and goalie combo is the worst we've had in a while. We've had some bad defences beforw but in the last 2 decades have had goalies who can cover up our errors. Now Demko and Holtby are just getting shelled. When teams face us I'm expecting we allow 5 goals on average.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I try to be neutral and open-minded. Always looking forward. This season we had a lot of question marks. We didn't know how the losses and additions would be. We had preexisting issues that needed to be solved(like team D) and nothing hasn't really turned out well. Hughes and Petey are struggling, especially Petey. On one side that's good from a contractual sense and on another it is a cause for concern. We have no choice but to grind it out. 

Edler is exempt from the Expansion due to him being a UFA. If Edler was willing to go I feel like he'd get good return, nothing crazy. He's a top 4 Dman who could matchup against top opposition with the right partner and can still play 20+. Our D is even in worse shambles right now without him, which says a lot since we've been bad with him.Our Division lacks D overall save for MTL and maybe the Flames. Even then if one Canadian team is interested, another might not want to see a division rival get an upgrade they could use. It could make for a sellers market maybe.

That said I can definitely see him just staying till he retires. I wouldn't have an issue either way.

If things keep up like this for the next 4-6 games then we should definitely look to sell. Stock up on picks. I wouldn't expect any trades to happen till like March though.

Good post.  Cap Friendly says you are correct.  Edler is a UFA at the end of this season so they (Kraken) could pick him if he agreed to a contract and the Canucks didn't sign him this summer.  I agree, trades will be very difficult this year with the Covid rules.