Sign in to follow this  
SNuck

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Tyler Myers. What a&^@#ing joke. 

 

Myers suspended for a couple games, Chatfield, Hamonic, Edler out. Yeah. We are so &^@#ing screwed Saturday it's not even funny

 

I'm sure his intention was to get himself suspended 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few thoughts...

 

i hate this Canadian division. We suck against Canadian teams, they are usually our arch rivals and when we lose we all know fans of the opponent that are going to rub in a loss 

 

injuries piling up just like all the other pro sports that did not have normal camps due to covid 

 

the Meyers hit was not as dirty as many are making it out to be. People seem to mad because they are mad at Myers would it be the same reaction if Bo threw the hit?

 

our lack of coaching is in full display 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team needs a healthy Chatfield and we need Tram. If Rathbone can fit in like Chatfield did then maybe we are not too bad off

 

I hope it was only nerves for Rafferty yesterday and he does not turn out be a guy that locks up at the NHL level or has a game that only excels at the ahl level 

 

As for Tram, we need his size, speed and D game. I could not care one bit that he is not an offensive presence 

 

Benn is not our answer, Rathbone you are next up 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mll said:

Seattle can also just let Edler walk after picking him.  They are not obliged to extend him.  He will be considered as the pick for Vancouver.  For some teams they might prefer taking a UFA and let him walk then take on a bad contract.

hes a ufa next yr  they cant pick him after season is over  he will resign after the expansion draft 1-2 yrs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

hes a ufa next yr  they cant pick him after season is over  he will resign after the expansion draft 1-2 yrs 

They can pick Edler if they want - it didn’t happen with Vegas, and I doubt it will happen with Seattle either given the risk that he just retires or signs somewhere else.   They are given a special short  courting period to any UFA player before the draft,  - if they pick Edler that’s their choice, and it counts.    It’s great for us, almost like we have an extra protection spot, if he was under contract the club would have to decide whether to use one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They can pick Edler if they want - it didn’t happen with Vegas, and I doubt it will happen with Seattle either given the risk that he just retires or signs somewhere else.   They are given a special short  courting period to any UFA player before the draft,  - if they pick Edler that’s their choice, and it counts.    It’s great for us, almost like we have an extra protection spot, if he was under contract the club would have to decide whether to use one. 

 ya i doubt they pick edler when hed be like no il be resigning with canucks a week later  they will take lind  or maecewen or rafferty 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think people have to remember that JB went into the mindset this season that the ED is on its way and didn't want to gun it or go all in (the way stupider teams like Calgary have) because Seattle is really going to shake things up and we're vulnerable to lose someone good on the draft. That and Covid has left us with this patch work team which, to be fair, isn't that bad on paper, but really should be better than 2-4-0.

 

Yes, we need to get better and I'm sure we'll grow as the season progresses, and will still have a shot as long as we hover around .500, but I don't think anyone's losing a job in this asterix season mainly because of the ED and its long term implications. That, along with some big cap changes soon (Hughes, Petey, big names off the books) means this is a transition year. Yeah the playoffs would be nice but we could easily pick top 5 and then next season win our division.

This.   Said before the playoffs were over that we needed to make the tough choice to let our UFAs walk.   Short term pain for long term gain.   Adding another top six player or top four D in the draft this year will do wonders down the road - or even just trying our hand at another Miller like trade with that pick.  
 

IF we are good enough to make the playoffs this year then so be it.   Remember when McDavid/EDM took ANA to game seven in the second round, media types had them as a contender the following season.   Look what happened to them.   COL went through a mini-rebuild too.   It’s not the end of the world, sure it sucks - and i felt JB did enough to come into this season about even with our net gain/losses.   Holtby has been ok - Demko not playoff Demko.    Been killed by some buzzer beaters and EP hitting some posts and missing open nets.   
 

Expect another typical Canucks season of winning and losing streaks.    The season isn’t over yet.   Next year even with LE still around we should be able to add something decent.   The year after a marquee star player if we can swing it. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Me_ said:

  • The Vancouver Canucks have a very interesting relationship with Russian defenseman Nikita Tryamkin, who is still playing in the KHL despite a long negotiation last year. The 26-year-old defender is still technically a restricted free agent and can only sign with the Canucks if he chooses to return to the NHL. Now, Rick Dhaliwal of TSN gives an update on the situation and spoke with Yekaterinburg executive Maxim Ryabkov, who expressed how much Tryamkin has improved in the last year, even calling him “one of the best defensemen in the KHL.” The 6’7″ behemoth pairs incredible size with excellent skating ability to shut down rushes and move the puck quickly. If he is not signed this offseason, Tryamkin can actually become an unrestricted free agent after the 2021-22 season.”

If he really is “one of” or becoming one of the best dmen in the KHL then it makes the most sense for him to play one more year and become a UFA.

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Petterson is not the problem but a giveway on a powerplay is telling.  He needs to go back to basic and play a simple game since he is a marked man.  That's my basic summary of his play is that he needs to simplify his game and once he get confidence, he then can try plays that made him good.

He is rusty, needs to think less and rely on his instincts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Pffft, that’s not a train wreck worthy of a Canucks meme.

I was thinking it represented our defense - they left the caboose (Demko) behind.  :)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

If he really is “one of” or becoming one of the best dmen in the KHL then it makes the most sense for him to play one more year and become a UFA.

Too me, the most sense would be signing a 1 year deal with the Canucks  to show what you can do in the NHL, then go UFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I actually don't mind this slump the Canucks are going through. It finally exposes all the flaws that were covered up by Markstrom's unbelievable goaltending. Whether it be a change in coaching strategies, Benning's approach to (re)signing players, etc hopefully this will convince Benning and Green that there is still a lot more work to do. 

 

With or without Markstrom's stellar goaltending, the way the Canucks were playing the past few years was unsustainable and now that Markstrom's left, we can really see why that's the case. 

Yes. I’m also glad this is happening before most guys got massive extensions (with the exception of Benning).

 

I still believe Pettersson and Hughes are going to be elite players for a long time, but they were also getting overhyped. EP in particular was heavily sheltered. Exposing their need for growth a bit may keep their cost down.

 

I also like Green as a motivating coach - his ability to develop youth has been impressive - but I really question some of the systems the team chooses to implement. Not sure if that’s on him or his assistants...there’s one way to find out. The defence should not be this bad. Schmidt was an outstanding defensive defenseman on teams with good structure. Hamonic too has a solid history.

 

The team wasn’t as good in the playoffs as many thought. We beat a bad Minnesota team, and a Blues team who were largely recovering from COVID, and whose goalie completely fell apart. When we finally met a really good team, they absolutely schooled us, but we kept it close through luck and goaltending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

90S Lol GIF

This team pulling on our feels like...

Edited by EP Phone Home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yes. I’m also glad this is happening before most guys got massive extensions (with the exception of Benning).

 

I still believe Pettersson and Hughes are going to be elite players for a long time, but they were also getting overhyped. EP in particular was heavily sheltered. Exposing their need for growth a bit may keep their cost down.

 

I also like Green as a motivating coach - his ability to develop youth has been impressive - but I really question some of the systems the team chooses to implement. Not sure if that’s on him or his assistants...there’s one way to find out. The defence should not be this bad. Schmidt was an outstanding defensive defenseman on teams with good structure. Hamonic too has a solid history.

 

The team wasn’t as good in the playoffs as many thought. We beat a bad Minnesota team, and a Blues team who were largely recovering from COVID, and whose goalie completely fell apart. When we finally met a really good team, they absolutely schooled us, but we kept it close through luck and goaltending. 

Vegas series was also close in the they didn’t have enough weapons up front to put away a team.  That weakness caught up with them the next series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with this condensed season and COVID protocols, is it unlikely Green will get fired ? I really can’t see Benning firing Green during this season due to these circumstances but is ownership really going to put up with this for an entire season? If I were Benning I would be calling Gallant and getting him quarantined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I actually don't mind this slump the Canucks are going through. It finally exposes all the flaws that were covered up by Markstrom's unbelievable goaltending. Whether it be a change in coaching strategies, Benning's approach to (re)signing players, etc hopefully this will convince Benning and Green that there is still a lot more work to do. 

 

With or without Markstrom's stellar goaltending, the way the Canucks were playing the past few years was unsustainable and now that Markstrom's left, we can really see why that's the case. 

Sorry bud but put markstrom in net and our record is exactly the same. 

 

Team has to play better infront of our goalies. 

 

Nothing else to it. 

 

The sky isn't falling and the boys will turn this ship around. We're 2-4 Canucks nation... Calm down. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

So with this condensed season and COVID protocols, is it unlikely Green will get fired ? I really can’t see Benning firing Green during this season due to these circumstances but is ownership really going to put up with this for an entire season? If I were Benning I would be calling Gallant and getting him quarantined. 

 Come on bro... give me a break. 

 

This gm and coach got you past Minnesota... The Stanley cup Champs st Louis... Game 7 vs Vegas... (with a team scotty Bowman probably couldn't even get into the playoffs) 

 

And you want them fired over 6 games into a silly covid season. 

 

Get a grip. Chemistry is building. JB & TG WILL MAKE US GREAT AGAIN! 

 

Anyways i can't take this place after a loss. Apollo signing off for today. 

 

Gonna go out and smell the roses. Life is beautiful and at the end of the day this team has entertained me very well past 6 games. 0 complaints. 

 

GCG :towel:

 

 

Edited by apollo
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yes. I’m also glad this is happening before most guys got massive extensions (with the exception of Benning).

 

I still believe Pettersson and Hughes are going to be elite players for a long time, but they were also getting overhyped. EP in particular was heavily sheltered. Exposing their need for growth a bit may keep their cost down.

 

I also like Green as a motivating coach - his ability to develop youth has been impressive - but I really question some of the systems the team chooses to implement. Not sure if that’s on him or his assistants...there’s one way to find out. The defence should not be this bad. Schmidt was an outstanding defensive defenseman on teams with good structure. Hamonic too has a solid history.

 

The team wasn’t as good in the playoffs as many thought. We beat a bad Minnesota team, and a Blues team who were largely recovering from COVID, and whose goalie completely fell apart. When we finally met a really good team, they absolutely schooled us, but we kept it close through luck and goaltending. 

We didn’t beat a bad MIN team, they were one of the best defensive teams in the entire league - and we managed to get past that.   St Louis was still a top team, even without Tarasenko- could roll three good lines ... yes we did have Binningtons number - Green out coached one of the better up and coming guys in the league.   Vegas showed us how far we needed to go to be a contender - we had one good game , the rest was just nail biting terror. 
 

Yes we’ve had a poor start, but this team is better then that for sure.   Markstrom definitely is missed, and average starter in Holtby hasn’t been enough.   Demko had a bad game - it happens.   Not that the team didn’t too.   Aside from our first game where we kept McDavid off the scoreboard, and one period in Calgary- it’s been a bit of a hot mess.   Hopefully it’s just a lack of pre-season and working with a lot of new bodies....it’s still early folks - no need to brush out to the pitchforks and denigrate one of our most exciting playoff efforts in history. 

  • Like 2
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, apollo said:

Sorry bud but put markstrom in net and our record is exactly the same. 

 

Team has to play better infront of our goalies. 

 

Nothing else to it. 

 

The sky isn't falling and the boys will turn this ship around. We're 2-4 Canucks nation... Calm down. 

It's not a matter of our record. It's the way the Canucks play. 

 

Odd man rushes and playing passive defence has been a problem for years and is independent of Markstrom's play. 

 

I think the Canucks will turn it around too, but I don't mind if they regress a bit this year either. Rebuilds don't go up in a straight, upward trajectory. Hell, even Colorado had setbacks. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.