The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Come on bro... give me a break. 

This gm and coach got you past Minnesota... The Stanley cup Champs st Louis... Game 7 vs Vegas... (with a team scotty Bowman probably couldn't even get into the playoffs) 

And you want them fired over 6 games into a silly covid season. 

Get a grip. Chemistry is building. JB & TG WILL MAKE US GREAT AGAIN! 

Anyways i can't take this place after a loss. Apollo signing off for today. 

Gonna go out and smell the roses. Life is beautiful and at the end of the day this team has entertained me very well past 6 games. 0 complaints. 

GCG :towel:

I am slowly losing faith bro. JBs contracts are finally biting us in the ass and special teams coaching and our defence (since game 1) has been atrocious. You really think Baumer and Newell are going to bring this team to a cup? 

22 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I actually don't mind this slump the Canucks are going through. It finally exposes all the flaws that were covered up by Markstrom's unbelievable goaltending. Whether it be a change in coaching strategies, Benning's approach to (re)signing players, etc hopefully this will convince Benning and Green that there is still a lot more work to do. 

With or without Markstrom's stellar goaltending, the way the Canucks were playing the past few years was unsustainable and now that Markstrom's left, we can really see why that's the case. 

I don’t think either of those two survive if this continues.

Total agree snd I wasn’t sold on the players coming in being = or better than the ones leaving.

markstrom has been the teams best player for three years tanev the best defensive dman we’ve had. Lose those two and expect no issues averaging 40+ shots a night. Lol who didn’t see this coming.
the system needed to be adjusted to Compensate  but first you need structure and a system to adjust. 
JB terrible cap management and short sighted signings left us exposed losing toffoli who provide much heed scoring depth plus we threw away another prospect for nothing. 

Short season all divisional games we could be done and out by the end of Jan.

FA unwilling to bail out him from his  contract gaffs now watches his capped out team and he can’t like what he sees. 
that’s on JB alone. 

9 minutes ago, apollo said:

Come on bro... give me a break. 

This gm and coach got you past Minnesota... The Stanley cup Champs st Louis... Game 7 vs Vegas... (with a team scotty Bowman probably couldn't even get into the playoffs) 

And you want them fired over 6 games into a silly covid season. 

Get a grip. Chemistry is building. JB & TG WILL MAKE US GREAT AGAIN! 

Anyways i can't take this place after a loss. Apollo signing off for today. 

Gonna go out and smell the roses. Life is beautiful and at the end of the day this team has entertained me very well past 6 games. 0 complaints. 

GCG :towel:

You mean the goaltenders got us past those team 

facing 40-60 shots on a nightly basics that’s was the gm and coaches plan.

the old fingers crossed we get ridiculously great goaltending oh wait that’s been JB and greens system all along. 

Not sure why anyone’s talking about who JB hires next as his third coach.

because I highly doubt JB is the guy that will be hiring the next coach. 

3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

It's not a matter of our record. It's the way the Canucks play. 

Odd man rushes and playing passive defence has been a problem for years and is independent of Markstrom's play. 

I think the Canucks will turn it around too, but I don't mind if they regress a bit this year either. Rebuilds don't go up in a straight, upward trajectory. Hell, even Colorado had setbacks. 

Pretty spot for on. The Canucks were outplayed and outshot more often than not last season and the defensive breakdowns have been an ongoing issue for years. The system and structure this team abides to is bad and was masked by stellar goaltending last season. There is no arguing or denying this. The team regularly comes out flat and never seems to dictate the pace of the game nor set the tone early. That being said, and it’s been mentioned plenty before, the team realistically only has 4 and a half (Pearson is a fringe top 6) players in the top 6 and a plethora of horrible contracts tied up in places they shouldn’t be. The team is currently treading water until they can cut bait with the deadweight and really start building a contending team. Also, they need a coach to implement a solid defensive strategy to play to the teams strengths given the personnel they have. I don’t believe Green and Co are capable of that because they haven’t been able to since they got here. 

Hard to blame the goaltenders with all the high quality chances being given up.  Even with Markstrom for most of the last 2-years, whenever the Canucks got into this kind of stretch, we would see large numbers of goals against.  Holtby and Demko aren't stealing games right now but it's hard to do that when it seems like every chance against is super high quality.  In the last two games, there have been several plays where MTL player has been lost on the left wing at the Canucks blueline with basically free reign to enter the zone and get a high quality chance.  It's ridiculous.

I wasn't that concerned through the first 3 games and the 1st game against Montreal could have been written off as just "one of those nights" since Montreal wasn't having that a great night either (with Price in net, no less).  Last night was atrocious however.

I'm not generally critical of Green but I was honestly surprised that he didn't take a timeout after the 4-2 goal.  The Anderson and Evans goals were 9 seconds apart and the team definitely seemed to be reeling even more badly by that point.  I understand they decided to challenge the 2nd Armia goal and then had to go to PK because the challenge was lost, so a timeout wouldn't have been great after that goal, but it just seemed like a missed opportunity to give the team a moment to take a deep breath and refocus.

If Myers is in fact suspended for that hit on Armia, then I guess the Canucks will have to dress two of Benn, Rathbone and Brisebois.  If the team wants to reward long service, then I assume Brisebois gets the call followed by Benn as the veteran.  If the team wants to ice someone with dynamic ability then it's Rathbone and Benn.  I personally think that in this scenario, we'll see Brisebois before Rathbone, but I would love to see Rathbone get a shot.

There's still a long way to go in the season so I think the Canucks can still get back on track.  I think team D is going to continue to be an issue moving forward but it's not like they were horrifically bad against Edmonton and Calgary so if they can get back to at least that level of play and still produce offence, then I think they'll be fine.  They're never going to win a Jennings Trophy but if they can at least limit the Grade A chances, then I think Holtby and Demko are more than good enough to provide stable goaltending to give them a chance to win every night.  

Aside from team D, the biggest question mark right now is when Petey is going to hit his stride again because he has looked off.  For the first time in Petey's career, it feels like there's something off in his focus.  That giveaway at the Canucks' offensive blue line on the PP was mesmerizingly bad.  I don't know what possessed him to try to thread the puck through not one but two Montreal defenders at the blueline.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1

I don't have the answers and won't pretend to.  I feel bad for these guys...it isn't easy getting blown out in games, especially after having some success last (weird) season.  An anomaly.  But it can't feel good to have to face this from their end...very much a wth deal.

I won't blame goaltending because Marky stole games and was on fire at times...other times he wasn't.  The nature of the beast with that position.  Basically, if you "rely" on goaltending you're going to be in trouble some nights on off games.   You need good goaltending and I feel we have that.  I felt bad for Demko and still think he's working HIS way toward being brilliant.

We ripped some heart and soul players out of the line up and that can mess with chemistry.  Truth be told, I'm not convinced on Schmidt yet....great guy, but is it our "system" that's throwing him off or is he just off?  Myers looks very lazy at times to me...a lot of reaching, sliding, etc. Petey's at least all effort but is clearly "off".  Such a weird year and it's glaringly bad with games in short succession.  You don't hit a slide you fall off a cliff if you're struggling.  They all string together and there's no time for recovery.

Behind the guys, 100%.  I never say this but I'm starting to really question coaching....if the entire group is struggling, that leads me there.  Thank God our captain is showing his leadership and taking things on his back.  Brock's also a bright light and I'm glad he's also finding some success.  Those saying he isn't contributing aren't watching closely enough.   He's battling for the puck and making quick decisions. 

I just don't know.  Wasn't even going to weigh in because I'm as confused as they likely are.  One thing I do know...I can't listen to post game interviews because they don't matter and just are so forced....what happens on the ice counts.  The words are empty to me.

Hope they grab ahold of this thing quickly.  Either way, still glad hockey's back because I'm lost without it.  Even if my team seems lost.  I have faith they will turn things around and start clicking.  If Petey does, that'll be a huge deal.  But his frustration seems to be getting the better of him and coaching needs to intervene.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Pretty spot for on. The Canucks were outplayed and outshot more often than not last season and the defensive breakdowns have been an ongoing issue for years. The system and structure this team abides to is bad and was masked by stellar goaltending last season. There is no arguing or denying this. The team regularly comes out flat and never seems to dictate the pace of the game nor set the tone early. That being said, and it’s been mentioned plenty before, the team realistically only has 4 and a half (Pearson is a fringe top 6) players in the top 6 and a plethora of horrible contracts tied up in places they shouldn’t be. The team is currently treading water until they can cut bait with the deadweight and really start building a contending team. Also, they need a coach to implement a solid defensive strategy to play to the teams strengths given the personnel they have. I don’t believe Green and Co are capable of that because they haven’t been able to since they got here. 

“If” this becomes a lottery season.We need to take a serious look at Luke Hughes. He’s a bigger Quinn (6’2) and has the exact same skating style as Quinn. I would mind having the Hughes bros as a top pairing. Imagine the creativity between the two? 

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

End of the day Marky let us down against Vegas. It's Demmer who showed up clutch and stood on his head, in the PLAYOFFS were games matter most. 

Also its one thing to say fire Travis Green (which they shouldn't) 

But to say fire the guy that took Petey 5th, Hughes 7th, Brock 23rd... Give your head a shake bud. 

Jim benning is going down as the best gm in franchise history. 

Ungrateful fans sicken me tbh... Get a life. Trying to boo a guy out of town after he's handed us gem after gem? 

This is the most glorious time to be a Canucks fan. Jim is the reason why. 

If you're so shook over 2-4 start to the season, there's prob something unresolved going on in your life that's making u overly sensitive and frustrated so u just say fire Benning 

Be happy bro 

Whoa, damn. 

lol

Most recognize that Marky either stole games or kept the team in games they didn’t deserve to be in. Many ‘fire house’ drills last year. The offensive counter to all this was to a activate the d-core and speed up the transition game. Still seems to be the prime strategy. You can go down the roster and find examples in almost every player of their ‘chancing’ offensive opportunity over defensive awareness. Bottom line is that the Canucks currently do not have a great defensive game. Run & Gun rules but that usually only works during the regular season. 

Canucks still need a couple of years to morph into a true contender. Look at that blue line last night and although it was a tough night I was thrilled to see the young d-men get some TOI. I am really liking OJ and Chatfield. Many of the Hab scoring and opportunity were generated out of the Hab o-zone or the neutral zone. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, apollo said:

End of the day Marky let us down against Vegas. It's Demmer who showed up clutch and stood on his head, in the PLAYOFFS were games matter most. 

Also its one thing to say fire Travis Green (which they shouldn't) 

But to say fire the guy that took Petey 5th, Hughes 7th, Brock 23rd... Give your head a shake bud. 

Jim benning is going down as the best gm in franchise history. 

Ungrateful fans sicken me tbh... Get a life. Trying to boo a guy out of town after he's handed us gem after gem? 

This is the most glorious time to be a Canucks fan. Jim is the reason why. 

If you're so shook over 2-4 start to the season, there's prob something unresolved going on in your life that's making u overly sensitive and frustrated so u just say fire Benning 

Be happy bro 

Speak for your self bro.....

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Most recognize that Marky either stole games or kept the team in games they didn’t deserve to be in. Many ‘fire house’ drills last year. The offensive counter to all this was to a activate the d-core and speed up the transition game. Still seems to be the prime strategy. You can go down the roster and find examples in almost every player of their ‘chancing’ offensive opportunity over defensive awareness. Bottom line is that the Canucks currently do not have a great defensive game. Run & Gun rules but that usually only works during the regular season. 

Canucks still need a couple of years to morph into a true contender. Look at that blue line last night and although it was a tough night I was thrilled to see the young d-men get some TOI. I am really liking OJ and Chatfield. Many of the Hab scoring and opportunity were generated out of the Hab o-zone or the neutral zone. 

Last night was a lot of nerves by the third they started to settle down. Green should learn how to call time outs. 

Edited by vannuck59
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I talk to myself all the time but I'm in therapy for that.

Happy for you. From what I see the team is trying to play like the Harlem Globe Trotters to fancy,  get back to basics Pettersson looks like he is not focused the game has slowed down for him in a bad way he sees the play but reacts to late . The giveaway at the blue line was as bad as I have seen.

Best gm in history :picard:

how many top ten selection has his teams had.while being capped out 

why couldn’t we resign any piece this offseason.

markstrom saved his job before his last extension, we would have been a last place team without his play.

and yeah demko was unreal and it’s unrealistic to expect him to play like that. 

Scouts did there jobs they found those guys not Jim hence why we have scouts. 
Hes a below average gm at best and his team overall is proof. 
The best gm gm’d his team to the most  franchise worst records any Vancouver gm has had. 
we end near the bottom of our division he’s gone.
The Most capped out bottom feeding teams gms  don’t survive let alone six seasons.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, GetFocht said:

Everyone is playing the same seasons, these cliches don't hold water.

Most of the teams look bad. Bad hockey in general. One day it is 6 to 5 for one team. The next game it is 7 to 3 for the other. Look around the league. 

I am not suggesting that the Canucks are not in a heap of trouble. I think we will be bottom 10 for sure. If the injury bug continues we could drop further. I just hope they don't try to fix things by trading picks way. 

This season will be a write off.

• Vintage 1