The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

One look at the pesky Sens structure from their last playoff run, and Baumer was like - "But the goalie has to stop the puck behind his net"

And the idea was squashed forever.

(I'm not advocating for the trap. It's boring af, but it is effective)

I don't think it is effective nowadays. The speed of the game makes the trap obsolete

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

Hopefully we are like the Avs, who were at the bottom of the league for years made it to the playoffs and were back at the bottom of the standings the next year, and haven't looked back since.

Except the Avs made the playoffs in 2014 and didn't make it back there until 2018 (they also had to suffer through a horrendous 2016-17 season). That is 4 years in between playoff berth. We already have our 5 year drought. I really hope we don't have anything remotely close to what the Avs went through in 2016-17, Bo is coming into his prime. So is Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. Miller is also firing at all cylinders right now (and could still be that way for a couple more years). The window to contend must start next season, or else this is major fail on management.

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think it is effective nowadays. The speed of the game makes the trap obsolete

The trap doesn’t work unless your allowed to hook, hold and interfere - and an extra pass in the nuetral zone is required... your right.   A key reason why the game seems faster now - is the trap isn’t allowed and you don’t need that extra pass.   Plus the fourth line isn’t full of goons and the bottom pairing too.   Every era has had lost of players with speed to burn, this is the only one where they’ve been unhinged.   Funny thing Bure and Federov (both considered top ten skaters all-time, Bure ranks the highest sorry McDavid nobody but him looks like he was shot out of a cannon and Gartners time has still not been matched under the same format/circumstances)  aren’t the only speed demons ... Hull senior makes the top ten list as does the pocket rocket... for sure the game is played faster now - it’s a result of no redline, no obstruction and no more goons/defensive defenseman like Ludwig and Hatcher, Murzyn etc.   

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Not really a trade Petey thread. LOL   It certainly gets people talking. The only reason I threw this out there is because Jimbo was really big on Dubois at the draft. Petey will be fine but Dubois is not chopped liver. He is a very skilled forward and at 22 the same as Petey he has a ton of upside.

Totally fair and reasonable. Not sure why some have their undies in a bunch about it. 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

The trap doesn’t work unless your allowed to hook, hold and interfere - and an extra pass in the nuetral zone is required... your right. 

I guess it depends on the team because I’ve seen some hooks and holds that have gone unpenalized. 

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Let's revisit this thought in the playoffs, Daz.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s a joke. His defensive structures are pathetic and reactive. How anyone can defend the clown is beyond me. 

I'm just getting tired of railing on the guy. A few of us have hated him since day 1, we had meltdowns when he was extended last year, and now he's apparently trying to tweak his system to be a little more fluid and ready to break out, but it doesn't work at all.

Guys are blowing coverage everywhere. It's as is if no one really knows where they're supposed to he or what they're supposed to do. 

:sick:

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

The trap doesn’t work unless your allowed to hook, hold and interfere - and an extra pass in the nuetral zone is required... your right. 

Defense is now built more on speed and mobility. This has to be part of a possession style game. If you look at the D men that Benning has brought in we see a focus on mobility. There may be a disconnect on how to play this style within our coaching staff . 

Just now, luckylager said:

Let's revisit this thought in the playoffs, Daz.

I'm just getting tired of railing on the guy. A few of us have hated him since day 1, we had meltdowns when he was extended last year, and now he's apparently trying to tweak his system to be a little more fluid and ready to break out, but it doesn't work at all.

Guys are blowing coverage everywhere. It's as is if no one really knows where they're supposed to he or what they're supposed to do. 

:sick:

Exactly. I’ve noticed every single defenseman on the team look like a deer in the headlights during games. They can’t all be having some collective brain fart out there. It’s on BumGardener. He’s the weak point in the equation. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally fair and reasonable. Not sure why some have their undies in a bunch about it. 

Petey is very popular. He is a character guy. I just refuse to get too attached to players until I see a team that has the potential for a cup run.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I guess it depends on the team because I’ve seen some hooks and holds that have gone unpenalized. 

Like every single NHL game. Overall, there's a reason why the trap isn't seen much anymore. Tampa Bay I think (could be wrong, in fact I'm sure I'll be wrong) was the last one to use it, much to the protest of the Philadelphia Flyers.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1