The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I feel bad for Myers. Everyone complains and complains about us being too soft and not physical enough and as soon as a 6'7 defenseman starts to play physical he gets called for everything. Then he becomes a whipping boy, when there are far more problems on the back end. 

For real though, he gets a bad rap. When he went down in the playoffs is was quickly obvious that we missed what he brought. Was he good last night? No, but almost nobody was. Did he take too many penalties? Absolutely. Is there a double standard when it comes to larger, stronger guys playing physical from the refs? Probably. Does he need to be better? Yeah, and I doubt anyone in the Canucks fanbase knows this better than he does. 

Is he a bit overpaid? Yeah, but you can typically expect UFA's to be a bit overpaid, the deals we've seen in a Covid world don't reflect the norm. Does he bring value despite being a bit overpaid? Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

The defense isn't even playing that much different than last year, even without Tanev. People often forget that our defense was spotty at best last year too. 

Difference is that Markstrom's not here to stand on his head anymore. 

Yup, there's a reason Marky was our MVP last season. Our defensive deficiencies haven't magically disappeared despite bringing in Hamonic and Schmidt. You can only filter through so many players, at this point it's a systems and coaching issue. It's a lot easier to turf a coach than find quality D. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. Schmidt was a defenseman that Vegas, a cup contender, leaned on heavily. He comes here and looks confused and in disarray. 

This. Baumer and Brown need to go, probably Green too. Wouldn't be surprised to see Benning simply allow his contract to expire if things continue. 

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Great news, hopefully Jordie's pumped up to play against his former team. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:
39 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

:lol:The only excuse this team needs is Benning

Hey do you remember how Edmonton was used as the big excuse for not rushing players? Do you think the pressure on Hughes and Pettersson is similar? Hey the Vancouver Oilers, same management system, old player with no experience hired t run team, he hires old junior hockey buddy with no GM experience to run team, they fire experienced cup winning coach

I believe Linden was the one that fired him.

Ya, you are right 3 weeks earlier but they should have waited until Benning was hired.

Same as this coming, see if the new guy wants the old coach Green.

At any rate I think it is happening again.

Benning got a two year plus option contract, a 3 year deal, this is the end of year two.

Benning's, Green's, Baumgartner's, Brown's, King's, Weisbrod I think all end this year. A lot of office staff have been cleared out too.

Some of the posters might know more about office staff going.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For real though, he gets a bad rap. When he went down in the playoffs is was quickly obvious that we missed what he brought. Was he good last night? No, but almost nobody was. Did he take too many penalties? Absolutely. Is there a double standard when it comes to larger, stronger guys playing physical from the refs? Probably. Does he need to be better? Yeah, and I doubt anyone in the Canucks fanbase knows this better than he does. 

Is he a bit overpaid? Yeah, but you can typically expect UFA's to be a bit overpaid, the deals we've seen in a Covid world don't reflect the norm. Does he bring value despite being a bit overpaid? Absolutely. 

Yup, there's a reason Marky was our MVP last season. Our defensive deficiencies haven't magically disappeared despite bringing in Hamonic and Schmidt. You can only filter through so many players, at this point it's a systems and coaching issue. It's a lot easier to turf a coach than find quality D. 

This. Baumer and Brown need to go, probably Green too. Wouldn't be surprised to see Benning simply allow his contract to expire if things continue. 

Great news, hopefully Jordie's pumped up to play against his former team. 

Great point on Myers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

100 percent. About time someone got a little mad and mean. Canucks for years have been too nice. I've been saying for years that teams land at Vancouver International and know full well they won't be pushed around. It's only one hit but I wish we had more of that. I've also wanted Petey to let that one timer rip and if it hits some opposition turd and fells him, so be it. 

Exactly. Is the team not wired that way, or are they being guided to play a less physical game?

16 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Oh...why not?

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

ask my Dad.

But seriously, I've watched that guy for years, unable to gain a pound, no matter how much or what he ate. His energy level would go up, but not an extra pound on him.

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I believe Linden was the one that fired him. 

Benning has a huge hand in how the team is presently, without a doubt.

If it so happens that a coaching change occurs at the end of the season due to a disappointing result, there will be a general manager change as well. I can't see him surviving it.

Benning has had 6 years to get the team back to contention. He's drafted well, all things considered, but his signings and trades, when looked at on the whole, have not been good, and are presently affecting the team in a very negative way. 

In no way are Benning's hands clean here. 

a couple of years we still had the sedins, and no way was the org. going to not let them finish off their years here. after that we slowly got better, being in a rebuild! he traded for Miller and he got that right a 100%. Ferland was supposed to help our team but sadly that did not happen.  Beagle was good for our team , but some say he got paid too much, same with Sutter, these two players  would not have even looked at us because we were rebuilding. i still love Beagle on our team. this year because of covid  teams  had  to get rid of players, because of the flat cap. Benning is a good GM, but hey every GM is not perfect and neither are coaches!

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm.   Except some evidence shows that we can win games and don’t need stellar goaltending to do it either do we? Markstrom had one excellent game in the playoffs - the rest were just good.   Demko had three exceptional games and nobody is debating we deserved to win.   Horvat scored 10 goals and was a total boss.   QHs set rookie records and team records... EP was over a PGP player...yes what a complete hot mess.  

Nobody is denying we need good goaltending to win games - same goes for 95% of the rest of the league too.

For newer fans I hate to say - you just witnessed the fourth best run in club history.   But go ahead - flame away.   In a couple decades I’m sure you will be pining for the good old days too.   With BB, QHs, EP, Horvat, Miller plus plus plus plus.   

Okay for starters you are putting words into my mouth. Second, I’m not some new fan I’ve been around this team for 30+ years and have seen enough Canucks hockey. Third, my point was valid and justifiable. The Canucks have being relying too heavily on individual performances on too many nights for positive results and that’s not a formula for sustained success. Too many nights last year including the playoffs they were outplayed and outshot and were bailed out by outstanding goaltending and timely goals from key contributors. That being said I’m not denying the successes of key players last season and offensive output we haven’t seen around here since the peak Sedin era. What concerns me is the system the coaching staff implements and how poorly the Canucks are defensively. You have to continually adapt and make changes which the Canucks coaching staff fails to do. Too many blown coverages, too many defensive breakdowns, too many low percentage plays that lead to turnovers, and giving up too many shots on goal. It’s frustrating to see a team giving up odd man rushes when they are on the penalty kill as we saw last night and stuff like getting hemmed in your own zone for 90 seconds all the while the players stop moving their feet and apply zero pressure. It happens too often. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

a couple of years we still had the sedins, and no way was the org. going to not let them finish off their years here. after that we slowly got better, being in a rebuild! he traded for Miller and he got that right a 100%. Ferland was supposed to help our team but sadly that did not happen.  Beagle was good for our team , but some say he got paid too much, same with Sutter, these two players  would not have even looked at us because we were rebuilding. i still love Beagle on our team. this year because of covid  teams  had  to get rid of players, because of the flat cap. Benning is a good GM, but hey every GM is not perfect and neither are coaches!

And most GMs have shelf lives, especially in Canadian markets. It's a business. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Might make Toffoli a lot less effective on Saturday.  He and Armia were feeding off each other. 

Or Perry, another career Canuck killer teams up with Toffoli and each with 2 goals to sink us? I don't know, I don't even want to think about that image.