The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I believe the Canucks will turn it around, but to think we're in the clear is delusional. A handful of contracts Benning handed out is coming back to bite us, but at the same time, to claim he's a GM worthy of getting fired is delusional as well.

These are growing pains. Acknowledge that the team is by no means perfect, but the Canucks have certainly improved, and there's also a lot of room for improvement as well. 

It'll also be interesting to see if, and how, Green and his coaching staff adjust.

Good one 

“Green and his coaching staff adjust”

i see what you are doing there 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It’s not like it would have been a huge loss...

Well, he did have 8 blocked shots, and provides an actual physical presence unlike the majority of the team, so I think it would be. At least with him in, the Canadiens might choose to go after him for retribution for the Armia hit, and not little Quinn.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Man I wish I had your growth spurt between 17-18. 

if only i had been 6’4 240 at 18 lol i used to have to fight up in  size i got scouted by tacoma rockets as a shut down center but they  said i was to small  uggg. Crazy part of that few yrs after my dad died i found tacoma  rockets scout card in his brief case    mind blowing guess who it was same  ahole that  molested fleury and sheldon kennedy  crazy right  my jaw dropped when i saw that card that scum bag talked to my dad bout me playing in the dub  my dad wouldda killed him  tho 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. Is the team not wired that way, or are they being guided to play a less physical game?

Who knows. But how do you explain a guy like Roussell. Loved the way he played in Dallas but he's invisible this year. He's playing his home province Habs and he's invisible. Is that coaching, or Rousell tired of having no backup?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

People can always put on weight, not everybody can put on muscle.

ya its called hitting the gym  when i was 36-37 i was 235 jacket zero fat all muscle gym 5-6 days a week and swam 2 miles 5 times a week march to august    then i got hit by semi  3 surgeries but il be back to  that fitness by summer hopefully 

After sleeping on last nights loss, I still have optimism with the season.

Yes, we have major issues right now, but at the very least, all these issues are mostly rust and pretty much coachable and being prepared. Many of MTLs goals last night, we pretty much gave right to them. MTL gave us nothing, and we still managed 3 goals. Tighten up defensively and we probably win both nights easy. Too many vets making high danger passes at key moments in the game. Schmidt and Petey give aways were brutal, but they likely wont happen again.

Furthermore, lots to be excited about with guys like Horvat and Boeser looking much better this year. Gaudette looks like he will break out soon, probably just needs a better winger than Roussel if Im being completely honest. Chatfield showed great poise before he went down, might turn out to be Tanev-lite.

Holtby and Demko will get better as the year goes along, we haven’t exactly eased them in. 

Regarding Pettersson, I am about 95% sure he will have a 5 point game coming up and from there he will be off to the races. Seems like a confidence issue that will be rectified soon.

Go Canucks Go!

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Who knows. But how do you explain a guy like Roussell. Loved the way he played in Dallas but he's invisible this year. He's playing his home province Habs and he's invisible. Is that coaching, or Rousell tired of having no backup?

He's actually from France, but still, the guy is a plug at best.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Its an oxymoron 

green and his staff are incapable of adapting 

Well, we'll see about that. I previously said that I hope this piss poor defence being amplified with the absence of Markstrom will finally trigger the coaching staff to have a look in the mirror and change things around.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Well, we'll see about that. I previously said that I hope this piss poor defence being amplified with the absence of Markstrom will finally trigger the coaching staff to have a look in the mirror and change things around.

It seems the go to is blaming the team though “We look immature out there” “The guys aren’t happy with themselves” “We didn’t play our best hockey” 

“We weren’t skating” ... Etc.

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

It seems the go to is blaming the team though “We look immature out there” “The guys aren’t happy with themselves” “We didn’t play our best hockey” 

“We weren’t skating” ... Etc.

I suspect that's because Green has been hell bent on making sure the players "buy in." I've always heard him say that. I think that sentiment applies in terms of player development and maturity, but hopefully he hasn't lost sight of his responsibilities of making sure the strategies he tries to deploy fit well with his players and are effective against opposing teams.