The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

16 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

@qwijiboSo much for the dirty illegal suspendable hit by Myers eh!Just a friendly response back you to my fellow CDC friend, I really think it was the whiplash that caused the injury and league likely sees it the same as they opted for no suspension.

If it was a hit on a Canuck I would hope 1 of our guys would go fight the attacker, so Myers should be aware that a fight early on in the game might happen and I think he will have no problems dropping the gloves. Could see Anderson dropping the gloves for his new team or Edmundson, to a lesser extent Weber.

Either way a fight or 2 might actually be what the Canucks need, get the juices flowing and get some energy throughout the team!!

Keep your head up boys and stand up for each other going forward, Go Canucks Go! Hope we see Mac back in the lineup 

It was still a dirty. Blind side predatory hit.  It wasn’t whiplash that caused the concussion. It was Meyers shoulder contacting Armia’s head. Armia was engaged with 2 other Canucks when Myers came in to take his head off.

That’s said.  The rule, as it’s written, requires that the I head be the primary point of contact.  The league determined that wasn’t the case.  It makes it a legal hit. But by no means does it make it clean. 

I don’t like the hit. It was totally unnecessary. Doesn’t matter who threw it and who received it.

as far as fallout. You’re most likely right.  The days of frontier Justice in the NHL are gone. I don’t think you’ll see any Canadien head hunting But Myers will have to answer the bell. (And he’ll likely do quite well in that regard) 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mll said:

Seattle can also just let Edler walk after picking him.  They are not obliged to extend him.  He will be considered as the pick for Vancouver.  For some teams they might prefer taking a UFA and let him walk then take on a bad contract.

True, but why wouldn't the Kraken pick a player (preferably younger) who has a good contract and who is a good player; rather than pick a different player (say, Edler) only to let him walk.  If they let the player walk, they may have helped a cap space issue (re the ceiling or the floor) but they have lost an asset for nothing (i.e. they can always trade an asset to gain something - picks, prospects, etc.).

1 minute ago, sockeye said:

True, but why wouldn't the Kraken pick a player (preferably younger) who has a good contract and who is a good player; rather than pick a different player (say, Edler) only to let him walk.  If they let the player walk, they may have helped a cap space issue (re the ceiling or the floor) but they have lost an asset for nothing (i.e. they can always trade an asset to gain something - picks, prospects, etc.).

They are going to picked 15-20 D, just like Vegas did, and then trade them away for assets, just like Vegas did.

WWENHL.jpg.e4a3d99424d3c6e51fb3d49ddfdd60d3.jpg

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

Haha oh man the Canucks must be shaking in their skates :picard:

Chiarot had his gloves glued on vs Jake. 

Anderson is one punch to the head from another concussion

Edmundson already got beat by Myers

Weber is such an overrated tough guy, only fights guys smaller than him.

Roussel already fought him too lol

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'd be dressing MacEwen for Saturday's game then.  Its going to be a chippy game, need some muscle.

They are also icing Perry in the lineup, we all know what a buffoon this guy is.

Will be interesting to see how they handle salary cap if they want to add Perry to their active roster without putting Armia on LTIR (and I assume they don't want to put him on LTIR if they can help it).

They currently have $730k in space and Perry has a cap hit of $750k. Someone is going to have to be waived to the taxi squad and it appears that might be Victor Mete, who may be at risk of being picked up off waivers since he is a young, offense-orientated Dman that can play both sides...

So....

Benn is back on the active roster

Rafferty is back on the taxi squad

Myers is cleared of any further disciplinary action

Hamonic on IR

Edler and Chatfield seeing doctors (so unlikely to play I am guessing)

Rafferty comes back onto the active roster and the D shapes up something like this:

Hughes Myers

Schmidt Rafferty

Juolevi Benn

???

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

So....

Benn is back on the active roster

Rafferty is back on the taxi squad

Myers is cleared of any further disciplinary action

Hamonic on IR

Edler and Chatfield seeing doctors (so unlikely to play I am guessing)

Rafferty comes back onto the active roster and the D shapes up something like this:

Hughes Myers

Schmidt Rafferty

Juolevi Benn

???

I would go:

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Schmidt 

Benn Rafferty

Play that bottom pair as little as possible. Rafferty does not look ready and Benn is gonna be rusty.

Its not pretty but they just need to play 1 solid game.

Edited by DeNiro

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

It’s no different than the NFL. Officiating is inconsistent. Bad calls after bad calls and it becomes unwatchable after a while. Zero accountability from the officials and I know they are trying to do their job, but FFS let the guys play and call the blatant stuff and leave the chicken sh*t stuff alone. It ruins not only the flow but the integrity of the game. Drives me bonkers.

Hopefully it improves.  It’s going to be the same officials over and over in the division.  

1 hour ago, sockeye said:

Last time Vegas had a bit of a hard time getting rid of their excess players.  They even had to retain on Emelin.  They are picking 30 players for a roster of 23 + they are the side deals that teams will likely try and make.  There’s the 50 contract limit to respect and they can also add free agents or two- way deals for their AHL team.  Players can be demoted to the AHL but not all salary can be buried.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

It was still a dirty. Blind side predatory hit.  It wasn’t whiplash that caused the concussion. It was Meyers shoulder contacting Armia’s head. Armia was engaged with 2 other Canucks when Myers came in to take his head off.

That’s said.  The rule, as it’s written, requires that the I head be the primary point of contact.  The league determined that wasn’t the case.  It makes it a legal hit. But by no means does it make it clean. 

I don’t like the hit. It was totally unnecessary. Doesn’t matter who threw it and who received it.

as far as fallout. You’re most likely right.  The days of frontier Justice in the NHL are gone. I don’t think you’ll see any Canadien head hunting But Myers will have to answer the bell. (And he’ll likely do quite well in that regard) 

What a joke. Too bad that you don't like it. Yeah, it was whiplash. Period. Watch the video. Myers was frustrated, but if the NHL dope heads feel it wasn't worthy of a suspension, than go away and cry in Montreal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Will be interesting to see how they handle salary cap if they want to add Perry to their active roster without putting Armia on LTIR (and I assume they don't want to put him on LTIR if they can help it).

They currently have $730k in space and Perry has a cap hit of $750k. Someone is going to have to be waived to the taxi squad and it appears that might be Victor Mete, who may be at risk of being picked up off waivers since he is a young, offense-orientated Dman that can play both sides...

730K is end of season cap space.  They currently have 799K per CapFriendly.  They’ve been demoting ELC players on off days to bank cap space.

31 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

What a joke. Too bad that you don't like it. Yeah, it was whiplash. Period. Watch the video. Myers was frustrated, but if the NHL dope heads feel it wasn't worthy of a suspension, than go away and cry in Montreal. 

Try to remember how much faith you seem to have in the DOPS next time it’s a Canuck laying on the ice or a Canuck gets a suspension 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I would go:

Hughes Myers

Juolevi Schmidt 

Benn Rafferty

Play that bottom pair as little as possible. Rafferty does not look ready and Benn is gonna be rusty.

Its not pretty but they just need to play 1 solid game.

Against the highest scoring team in the league. I feel bad for Holtby.