The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

28 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I burst out laughing in OT there when Jake come down the right wing with the puck and just went down behind the net and circled up the other wall like he always does. Even in 3on3 that's his move. He's like Zoolander.

I think I saw one play from him in OT where he had the puck, his team mates left for the change and he dumped it in and skated off. WTF? Jake! OT is all about puck possession!

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

quinn hughes was "watch from the press box bad" last night.  Obviously he won't be, but he needs to figure it out, pronto

The guy had another two assists last night. He might be our leading scorer by season's end... 

He needs help defending the bigger, tougher forwards and did get exposed a bit last night. But he needs a steadying partner to cover him.

It's just too much pressure for Quinn to carry this team offensively and defensively. Especially at his age and size.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Horvat, Motte, Myers and Chatfield had strong games last night. Hughes and Schmidt played big TOI and struggled in spots.   Canucks played the big Hab d-core better than I thought they would. Miller makes such a big dif in the ozone. Virtanen seems to be carving out a niche. He had some PK time.

Motte is a ELITE bottom 6 forward Benning better not let him go anywhere but here

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think I saw one play from him in OT where he had the puck, his team mates left for the change and he dumped it in and skated off. WTF? Jake! OT is all about puck possession!

I agree he didn't look good out there in O/T but in his defense, he is not the usual guy that is deployed in O/T. I would give him a bit of time with it before passing judgement on his play. 

55 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

All depends on how Demko performs, he really needs to start showing up soon.

I think it's Petey's night to score, goal and assist from him. Tighter game, 3-2 Canucks.

I think the law of averages state enough time has gone for him to get on the board, But i hope his teammates don;t go overboard trying to set him up and squander scoring chances.

I think a 2 point night is what he will get myself and i hope it is on 5v5, as i don't want this team to rely on refs calling penalties to get our goals

54 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

What I saw as a VERY soft dump in - basically straight to the other team's players. His teammates were barely on the ice when it occurred so to me, I highly doubt it was an attempt to ring it around. Anyone got footage of the OT? :P

I agree with you. There was no chance that puck got past the Mtl defender, and even if it did.. not sure if it even had enough steam to make it to the point in time

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

what do you expect, its Jake. 

All he knows is to skate in a straight line and throw the puck towards the net aimlessly. 

Also, don't expect him to beat anyone 1 on 1 one with the puck

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Beagle and Motte - once again - crushed it last night.

Beagle

18.2% ozone starts

51.9% corsi

Motte

22.2% ozone starts

57.7% corsi

They've been doing this every night thus far - leading the team.

59.5% corsi for Motte

56.4% for Beagle

Both were +1 last night in shutdown, Motte adding a goal and 9 HITS!

Nearly impossible to sustain these kinds of numbers - but thus far they've been "foundational"+ to say the least.

It's nice to see Motte rebounding after there were some comments that he didn't look as good in his first few games.

3 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Schedule has been brutal to us so far, I’ve not looked at it fully be we have a lot of back to backs and 3 in 4s hopefully with how compressed ours is at the moment there will be a period where we get a bit more spacing and can have some between game training sessions and work on things, while other teams get exhausted.

hoping for a tighter game tonight we cannot keep giving up rush chances against and win. Hoping EP gets on the board as well

The one thing I prefer about this schedule is that all those back to backs are against teams that played the night before - unlike regular schedules where you're often both travelling between games and facing a team that did not play the night before.

This season - all the teams are in relatively the same boat.

Curious to know what the status is on Alex Edler, Travis Hamonic and even Jay Beagle.

Hamonic and Beagle's last shift in the third they looked to be in pain and didn't have enough shift due to it being late and OT.

3 essential pieces on the PK even though we have been flailing out there. Getting in some fresh bodies might be good too. 

42 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree he didn't look good out there in O/T but in his defense, he is not the usual guy that is deployed in O/T. I would give him a bit of time with it before passing judgement on his play. 

That's all this fan base gives Jake... Time. If its not one thing he has to figure out, it's another. I get it, we all fear the cam neely situation will happen all over again. But Jake is not a smart player. I've given him time, but now he is my official Dana Murzyn. If he played a simple game like Motte he'd be effective. Unfortunately his play is poor, his decions are poor. His passes are always in the skates, and there is no effort. 

Good riddance....

Sorry, rant over. 

Edit:

For referance i did not like Murzyn... 

Edited by NucksinNorway
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's nice to see Motte rebounding after there were some comments that he didn't look as good in his first few games.

Game 1

30% ozone starts

50% corsi

Game 2

50% ozone starts

60.9% corsi (28 on ice shot attempts for)

1 goal.

I think the comments were mostly based on gazing at one or two incidents - ie he took a few (unlucky , actually) penalties.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

yup. even worse was that at the beginning of the play, holtby had the puck and was waiting for the defencemen to regroup, but jake hollered for the puck at the opposing blue line and holtby made the pass. jake realized he had absolutely nothing so he dumped it in and changed. 

total bonehead play. 

Edited by tas

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The best thing for me about last night's game was seeing Bo lead by example and get the team going. His two way acumen has been well documented, but his absolutely deadly on the powerplay. Price had no chance on those goals. Bo doing what successful captains do.  

Yip. And loved that bullet, five hole shot on Price in the shootout. Great job Captain Bo. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

The curious case of Jake Virtanen.

Jake got a chance to shine in OT yesterday and he made two obvious blunders. For one, he threw the puck and gave possession away when the team was going off on a change. It’s not rocket science to wait for the players to come on, or throw it back into your zone so you maintain possession of the puck.

Secondly, he had a two on one chance where he EASILY could’ve blown past the tired defender for a breakaway. Instead, in usual Jake fashion, he decides to go in with speed and slow down.

Do the coaches go over game tape with him? I mean this guy has these types of chances every game and he pisses them away.

2 steps forward and 3 steps back every season...

Don't expect Jake to read and make plays like a 1st or 2nd liner. He just doesn't have it in him, but that's ok. 

As a 3rd liner he's playing not bad to be honest. For someone with zero vision on the ice and no awareness of the players around him, he's still has speed and can carry the puck quickly.

that said a few practical/achievable things he can work on

-stick handling. learn to stick handle the puck and beat players 1 on 1 . watch video of how horvat drives the puck towards the net. he's able to do that because he stick handles and makes a move to beat the player. that way you dont' have to always circle behind the net and look like a complete idiot after

-hit and go after every player. Since you can't any plays with the puck, make yourself useful on the ice and hit. not just 2 or 3 hits per game. try 6-8 minimum. 

• Vintage 1