The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Is this the fishbowl forever over one dump in thread?

Seriously the micro obsession with every perceived inadequacy of Virtanen is borderline pathetic folks.

Living Well in the Fishbowl - Just Between Us

What would you do with yourselves if they actually traded Virtanen?

I would be happy like when they got rid of jordan subban, another player who generated far more consternation than he was worth. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think I saw one play from him in OT where he had the puck, his team mates left for the change and he dumped it in and skated off. WTF? Jake! OT is all about puck possession!

Yeah he looked like a nervous nelly in that moment lol

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Seriously the micro obsession with every perceived inadequacy of Virtanen is borderline pathetic folks.

Maybe there should be a designated dwell-on-Virtanen GDT/PGT echo chamber where you can get together and minutae to a whole nother level.

Stop shotgunning

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Feeling great after a win....but the guys have to get right back to work with urgency.  No resting ON a win...go get another.  Hope Petey cracks the code again tonight...not worried about him, his compete level's too high.  But we need the kazillion goals he's about to score.

I thought this was a Travis Green pre game quote until I saw the kazillion. :lol:

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Maybe there should be a designated dwell-on-Virtanen GDT/PGT echo chamber where you can get together and minutae to a whole nother level.

Its like TDS except Canucks fan version. Call it VDS.

I think most people (myself included to a degree) are just tired of seeing the same things over & over with Jake.

I was critical of Hamonic last night. But I think we should all give him a couple more games here. I’ve liked what I’ve seen in short bursts but also found him to be out of position often. The guy is probably just getting his feet wet again. Let’s ease up on the guy and see how his game comes along 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I was critical of Hamonic last night. But I think we should all give him a couple more games here. I’ve liked what I’ve seen in short bursts but also found him to be out of position often. The guy is probably just getting his feet wet again. Let’s ease up on the guy and see how his game comes along 

The rust is understandable.

Regardless, though - I'm not sure he's the 'right' partner for Hughes (their struggles are compounding each other's).  Probably too early to say that - and right on the heels of a rough night can further skew impressions, but....

Hughes had a nightmare outing....15 ozone starts, 1 dzone, outshot 5on5, -4......

I feel like Hughes needs a highly mobile partner.

Maybe Chatfield could grow into that guy - (I know people will tend to knee-jerk reject the idea based largely on pedigree) but he does have a measure of that Tanev 'foundation' of quick decision making, good mobility and willingness to battle...

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

My take on Jake,

The reason he drives people  nuts is he has size, speed and a shot

what he lacks is drive, motivation, consistency and hockey iq 

i see so much potential in the guy and its wasted 

at some point we need to move one 

Yep.

We have players that leap frogged him in the pecking order (ie. Hoglander).

Be content that he's a 3rd liner that can fill in the top 6 on spot duty.  Averages 35+ points (in a reg full season). 

Perhaps train him on the PK.  So he can shot block and be a threat to score shorthanded with his speed.  Be the eventual replacement for Pearson.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yep.

We have players that leap frogged him in the pecking order (ie. Hoglander).

Be content that he's a 3rd liner that can fill in the top 6 on spot duty.  Averages 35+ points (in a reg full season). 

Perhaps train him on the PK.  So he can shot block and be a threat to score shorthanded with his speed.  Be the eventual replacement for Pearson.

Thats a fair comment and i am onboard with that as long as we don’t overpay him as a bottom 6 guy 

Edited by canuck2288

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The rust is understandable.

Regardless, though - I'm not sure he's the 'right' partner for Hughes (their struggles are compounding each other's).  Probably too early to say that - and right on the heels of a rough night can further skew impressions, but....

Hughes had a nightmare outing....15 ozone starts, 1 dzone, outshot 5on5, -4......

I feel like Hughes needs a highly mobile partner.

Maybe Chatfield could grow into that guy - (I know people will tend to knee-jerk reject the idea based largely on pedigree) but he does have a measure of that Tanev 'foundation' of quick decision making, good mobility and willingness to battle...

I was thinking last night Chat could fit with Hughes nicely over time. 

Hughes was awful last night as well you’re right. I think he just needs to settle down a bit and focus on both sides of the rink instead of just the Ozone. I know he’s offensive minded and we want that but I think dialing it down just a notch would help. 

Like I said I’ve like Hamonic in short bit. I understand what he can bring when he’s on his game.. Now with the Injuries. I think Hamonic and Hughes will just have to figure it out.

I’ve really like Myers game but they are going to have to find a balance that works with Eddie out ( I assume he’s not playing)

• Cheers 1