The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

A better take than most.

The irony is that people here are 'tired' of Virtanen and yet the vast majority of them repeat the same tired misrepresentations of him.

His positive outcomes this year, once again, reflect upon the same strengths that he's shown throughout his young career.

Ie - he once again leads the team in takeaways - but is still, alllegedly a vacant player without the puck who has no hockey iq (projection for the most part)

His on ice goal differential is the best on the team.

3.3 on ice goals for per 60 (5on5)

1.1 against.

+2.2

.969 on ice sv%

It's ironic the way the 'analytics' types steer clear of Virtanen's.....because they repeatedly contradict the pissy 'storylines'.

Regardless of what people fishbowl - those are winning outcomes / nothing to really complain about - and important to have players that can move up and down the lineup (particularly when guys like Leivo were not re-signed).

He's been a good complement for Gaudette - they've looked good together and have generated a respectable amount of opportunities.  I think that's actually a 3rd line that has a lot of jam / could be hard to handle and could provide good secondary scoring.

I'd try Motte on LW with Gaudette and Jake. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

I was surprised by this but then I remembered that the last 12 pages or so of the PGT's were usually just bickering between two people who don't know when to walk away from the keyboard anyway.

Post of the year (so far)...Maybe that’s why it’s the power that be decided to lock it up. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The rust is understandable.

Regardless, though - I'm not sure he's the 'right' partner for Hughes (their struggles are compounding each other's).  Probably too early to say that - and right on the heels of a rough night can further skew impressions, but....

Hughes had a nightmare outing....15 ozone starts, 1 dzone, outshot 5on5, -4......

I feel like Hughes needs a highly mobile partner.

Maybe Chatfield could grow into that guy - (I know people will tend to knee-jerk reject the idea based largely on pedigree) but he does have a measure of that Tanev 'foundation' of quick decision making, good mobility and willingness to battle...

Maybe Hughes should be paired with Meyers for a couple of games?  

31 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

My take on Jake,

The reason he drives people  nuts is he has size, speed and a shot

what he lacks is drive, motivation, consistency and hockey iq 

i see so much potential in the guy and its wasted 

at some point we need to move one 

Yep.  Like there are other players more worthy of the negative attention, but they get a pass because they weren’t early first rounders.   If JV was a second rounder everyone would be singing his praises - and JBs too for the great pick.   He’s a legitimate NHL player, and not going anywhere.    

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Either way. He's a hound and doesn't belong on the 4th, even though him and Beagle have played very well together.

Our fourth line has had a lot of chances so far.    Motte is a wild card IMO.   If he keeps putting pucks in the net TG will be forced to move him up - hope that’s exactly what happens. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I'd try Motte on LW with Gaudette and Jake. 

if only we had 2 x Motte.  That would be a very good 3rd line imo - but hard to separate Motte and Beagle.

What I'd love to see....(an old proposal and it may be getting too late to poach him, but)...

To Ottawa

Roussel

3rd rd pick (may need to sweeten more than that - which I'd seriously consider).

To Van

Nick Paul

Paul imo would be an excellent complement to this group.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  Like there are other players more worthy of the negative attention, but they get a pass because they weren’t early first rounders.   If JV was a second rounder everyone would be singing his praises - and JBs too for the great pick.   He’s a legitimate NHL player, and not going anywhere.    

agreed. once you lower expectation of him, he's not that bad of a player. no eye boggling mistakes, but nothing great either. chips in here and there. 

Can work on his stickhandling tho and leverage his size a bit more

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This could be an even bigger game. How will they respond after a big win? I'll bet they're somewhat relieved the losing streak is over, but hopefully they keep up the 60-minute effort and get better goaltending. 

Me too.    

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They better be better 5 on 5 tonight. I wouldn’t count on the refs giving them a 6-1 advantage on power plays tonight 

The refs will always call it how they see it.  There is no league mandate against or for us. 

Edited by IBatch

10 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Either way. He's a hound and doesn't belong on the 4th, even though him and Beagle have played very well together.

He's not really a 4th liner - true - but the old categories don't really apply in present day NHL imo.

He's playing 16:21 game - 7th among forwards...

• Cheers 3

Just now, IBatch said:

The refs will always call it how they see it.

Montreal deserved all their penalties except for the Kulak one. But Vancouver could have easily been called on a couple blatant ones too.  I’m just saying I don’t see another game where there’s such a wide discrepancy in pp opportunities. You don’t see that happen all that often. 

45 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

My take on Jake,

The reason he drives people  nuts is he has size, speed and a shot

what he lacks is drive, motivation, consistency and hockey iq 

i see so much potential in the guy and its wasted 

at some point we need to move one 

Why?  worst case you have a very solid 3rd liner on a nice contract.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1