The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 21, 2021 | 6:30 p.m. PT | NBCSN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Marky still has 3-4 good seasons in him. The last 2 could’ve been mentoring a goalie.

Anyways most people on these boards were okay with letting him go.

I don't think people were OK with it but knew that the team could not keep him due to COVID causing the cap to stay flat and poor cap management.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Wilfred said:

I really don’t understand the constant “oh we let these players go.”

The only true key piece was Markstrom. Goaltending isn’t saving us. The Canucks have been bad defensively but this is a whole new level. The team defense isn’t there. It doesn’t matter how good your goalie is when a team is getting THREE SHORTHANDED BREAKAWAYS, and like 5 in total in 2 periods. Constant. Actually CONSTANT players left alone wide open in the slot in the defensive zone. Passing is terrible. Everything is just...bad.

Lot of injuries, inexperienced youngsters stepping in, Schmidt/Hamonic struggling to find their way in a new system early, Hughes having sophomore struggles. A recipe for a horrendous D.

• Huggy Bear 1

45 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I was having some beers with Keith as my buddy is lifelong friends with him. I brought up the sedin incident and he said the game is so fast you don’t even really think about what you are doing until it happens. He said he would love to play in Vancouver but I said I would have to ask CDC first 

LOL. Yah, sorry, but I can’t help but believe he levied a pre-meditated head shot, meant to possibly crack Danny’s  jaw,...not so accidentally on purpose. He may have slight regret about that, altho maybe not so much - seeing as he got a brief-rest before the 2012 playoffs while the ‘Nucks were without one of their  lethal weapons, for most of the 1st round vs LA & lost the series. Understanding now how classy these 2 players were & the fact that he gooned one - will earn him “boos” in perpetuity in VanCity until he retires. His kids will be asking, “Why do the people in Vancouver boo you daddy?”and he must explain the massive dirt-bag he used to be (with no impulse control or anger management). That’s if he tells ‘em the truth & intends to change, before they are old enough to appreciate &/or value accountability & quality character when they see it! The fact that he has apologized to others for similar retaliations since...is a sign. But I’ve heard nothin’ but excuses from him for the Sedin incident. Keith wasn’t even tossed from the game when it happened, either. Whole matter on the ice was completely mismanaged by the officials. Entitled league-privileged O-6 player,..who had gooned others without any real consequences previously, that made the situation all the more despicable! He needs to man-up, be accountable & publicly apologize for past wrongs that have threatened the quality of life &/or the livelihoods of his fellow union bros, or the “booing” & lack of  appreciation for him in VAN  continues, period. 

Edited by viking mama

It's okay. We gave Tampa our 1st last year, we have it this year. Redeeming way to end a possible poor season. Some strong defenders like Owen Power and strong forwards like Keevin Pominville in the upcoming draft so stay positive folks! There's optimism at the end of the tunnel 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Outsiders said:

Is it just me or does Nate Schmidt look bad and not only in this game.

We have had some bad luck with our big defensive additions..

Garrison, Gudbranson.

Schmidt is a good player, as we saw against Vegas. He is a bit of a one man show here currently.

5 minutes ago, XxS3E3DI2N2SxX said:

Dubois didn't play rest of bluejackets game. maybe something is in the works. maybe not.... but I hope so  

Yes.

VAN

Dubois

CBJ

Virtanen

1OA21

1OA22

Eriksson

(since people are ready to fire Benning; the 1sts are worth less anyways)

Edited by Me_
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Our “young” team is out of shapE and have zero organization 

we win one game and think our problems are over 

sooooooo glad we did not extend Green 

Don't worry and mark my word - Green is an interim coach and will NEVER take us to the cup.  This has been obvious since he arrived here as an inexperienced rookie NHL coach.  When the time is right - likely in about 2-3 years we'll have a veteran NHL coach (and especially new special teams coaches) lead us to the cup finals once all of JB's bad contracts are burnt up and our top prospects are at peak. Until then, we'll likely just have to continue the suffering - mainly due to all the BAD JB contacts that have hog tied this team. 

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Tyler Myers - 6M
Loui Eriksson - 6M
Brandon Sutter - 4.375M
Michael Ferland - 3.5M
Roberto Luongo 3M
Antoinne Roussel - 3M
Jay Beagle - 3M
Jordie Benn - 2M
Sven Bartschi 2.291M
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

That Luongo cap recapture is on Benning aswell. After he retired Benning  said" we were told at the draft that this could happen in a week" You idiot why could you have not traded a 7th for that contract and put him on LTIR

• Wat 4

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Agree. Nothing that one player could do to change this game.

But if we kept Marky, Tanev, and Toffoli, we wouldn't be in this situation.

Yes, we couldn't give them the term but is there any team that does well after losing 3 key players? Not bottom 6, bottom pairing, or backup goalie but an elite starting goalie, a top 3/4 defensive defender who kills PK, and a top 6 forward. 

We could see this stinker of a season coming from miles away.

Several Nucks fans figured we'd take a step back this season before taking another two forward, but this is pretty ugly 

I'm not sold on Marky being as big a loss as some make him out to be, if he's in net tonight we likely see a similar result

Holtby's looked fine when he can actually see the puck

Demko's been ventilated tonight, but when you keep giving up the chances we have and playing the way we have in front of him, well.. 

Losing Tanev hurt, but Schmidt was supposed to ease some of that burden, but Schmidt's still just one guy 

I blame our coaching staff for the most part, though injuries have contributed as well 

10 minutes ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I really hope this doesn’t mean we wont see a change in assistant coaches. 

Defensive systems are terrible

pk other than 2 games has been terrible and offensive systems are too much about the dump and chase 

I don't know that they have the money to make major changes (coach, GM) even if they wanted too.

So if anyone is hoping a down year will result in Benning being fired... its not happening. (I know your not saying that)